Page 156 of 189 FirstFirst ... 56106146153154155156157158159166 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 2833

• -

Re: The "What Movie Did You Just See?" thread RELOADED

I just saw Recoil. I found Steve Austin good in the movie, a real badass. The only thing that I didn't like was that the core story was very close to the Punisher.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN -- As a cash grab, this film wasn't necessary. We as an audience weren't craving a new Spider-Man film. We almost needed more time to forget that terrible Spider-Man 3. BUT... this was a good film. It's not perfect but it does a lot of things right. I think they nailed the emotion of the film perfectly and that's very important... because that's the heart of the film. It still has cliche'd "head of the company" characters but overall, it was a worthy effort. But golly, 2 hours and 25 minutes is an awful long time. This is Spider-Man not Lord of the Rings!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN -- As a cash grab, this film wasn't necessary. We as an audience weren't craving a new Spider-Man film. We almost needed more time to forget that terrible Spider-Man 3. BUT... this was a good film. It's not perfect but it does a lot of things right. I think they nailed the emotion of the film perfectly and that's very important... because that's the heart of the film. It still has cliche'd "head of the company" characters but overall, it was a worthy effort. But golly, 2 hours and 25 minutes is an awful long time. This is Spider-Man not Lord of the Rings!
    Yeah, it felt long, especially towards the last third of the film. Definitely could've been trimmed. And I hoped they'd go daring and not put that last scene in the classroom in, but they caved in.

Ted - This movie went to so many wrong places! The kind that make you - or at least me - go, "I want to laugh, but is it okay to laugh; I don't know if other people in the theatre will be offended?" Every opportunity to make some racial, sexual, religious or socially stereotypical remark was not missed, which sometimes made several scenes run a beat or two too long. But I was entertained. And is Seth MacFarlane a geek or what?! I mean that seriously because I don't watch Family Guy and the 1980 movie Flash Gordon is a major plot device in this film, to the point of re-creating scenes and using the score from that movie to move this story forward. Also loved the original score for Ted by Walter Murphy, of cool, swinging jazz like on MacFarlane's album. Anyway, for a matinee price, it was good.

• Circle of Ancients

The Amazing Spider-Man

Had pretty much the same thoughts as my good friend Coheteboy. I wasn't really planning on seeing this because it is an obvious cash-grab, but I'm glad I did. There were parts where it was obvious what was going to happen "Oh, this is where he gets bit by the spider" ... "Oh, this is where Uncle Ben dies" ... "Oh, here is where he get's in a fight with Flash" ... etc.

All that said, it was just different enough where it was entertaining. They did do a good job rebooting the story and making us forget the horrid Spiderman 3. In fact, I enjoyed this more of than any of the Raimi ones.

• Infinitized!

A couple on Blu-Ray:
    Anchorman - needed a good laugh so popped this one in. Too funny. Can't wait for the sequel.

The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford - good movie but long. I almost worked on this one when they filmed it here in Alberta. A friend ended up working on it and met Brad Pitt on the set and chatted with him.

• secure all cargo

Men In Black 3. I really liked it, it was good. Although I loved the first film and found it really clever and funny (second film was a huge dud) the series has previously never really given us anything to be emotionally involved with, so its a surprise the current film is actually very touching. Also, in spite of the fact that 5th dimensional character made the plot way too easy, that actor took what could have been a really annoying personality and made him really intriguing.

Twin Dragons. I picked up this DVD set of 8 Jackie Chan films for just $5 at Best Buy a few months ago and finally put one in the player. It's all Miramax/Dimension releases, so it's dubbed versions like Supercop and Operation Condor, plus a bunch of straight-to-DVD stuff they've released before. I've previously seen all 8. Anyway, I've always thought Twin Dragons was underrated. Despite massive gaps in logic and really dreadful effects for making 2 Jackies on screen, I've always found it funny and cute, and the last 10 minutes of the vehicle testing facility scene has to be one of the best fights he's ever done.

Dragon Lord. One of his earlier works. The shuttlecock scene is really amazing to watch. I can't imagine how long they had to practice those scenes. He's still pretty remarkable now, but seeing what he was capable of and how spry he was 30 years ago - wow.

The Young Master. Not part of the 2 disc set, and fortunately not dubbed. The choreography is incredible, every fight is so good here it's hard to pick my favorite. The dragon dance in the beginning is such an amazing display of physical strength and coordination.

The Replacement Killers. When this came out I had a crush on Mira Sorvino because of Mighty Aphrodite and I was just getting into Chow Yun-Fat because I'd just seen The Killer. Maybe the Replacement Killers didn't quite meet my expectations at the time as it's kind of hollow, but it was exciting enough that I've seen it several times since and it's one of my favorite guilty pleasures.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• Disneyland PAP

Flash Gordon - I felt compelled to revisit this film after seeing it referenced throughout Ted. Loved it as a kid, but it hasn't aged well. On this viewing tho' I finally noticed just how game the British actors were playing their parts. I re-watched the interview with Lorenzo Semple Jr. too. He falls just short of saying people who take comic book characters seriously are stupid. I wonder what he thinks about the comic book films that've come out today...

Batman (1989) - Starting my look back at selected Batman films before I see The Dark Knight Rises, I begin with Burton and Keaton's Batman. Amazing as ever on Blu-ray, this film will never fail to entertain me. Nostalgically, it reminds me of how grateful I was to finally see a successful tonal shift from camp to dark in the depiction of my absolute favorite comic book character. Then, it has Jack Nicholson brilliantly playing the life out of The Joker! I remember there were those who felt Cesar Romero had a better laugh. Pshaw! Jack's Joker hooked you in from the start and then kept you intrigued and amazed with the character throughout the rest of the film. This Batman wasn't the perfect Batman (that one arrived sixteen years later), but Burton and Keaton's take on Bruce and Batman fit fine in the world Burton created for The Batman. Plus, the sentiment in '89 was that for all that could've gone wrong, the re-introduction of this dark creature of the night was a seminal moment for the cinematic Batman. Also, for better or worse, Tim Burton made it okay for Hollywood to tweak classic superhero costumes. That's a pretty big deal imo too.

• Circle of Ancients

The Grey

I was really looking forward to this movie, I thought it sucked. The End.

• -

In anticipation of The Dark Knight Rises coming out in a couple of weeks, I just rewatched the Dark Knight this weekend. After watching that one again, July 20th can't come soon enough.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disneyland PAP

Batman Returns - I debated whether or not I had to watch this as part of my pre-The Dark Knight Rises Batman movie festival. I'm definitely skipping watching the nipple ones. I have mixed feelings about BR; in my mind it should've been called Catwoman: Hear Me Roar, and I mean that in a good way. Like the Making Of bonus feature reveals, this production is Tim Burton unchained, freeing him from having to stick religiously to the Batman comic book origins and letting him spin it in his own style of storytelling. And like I said, I love the character of the Catwoman he created; I found her story compelling. And his take on The Penguin is totally original and, whether he appeals to you or not, well-realized by DeVito. And the influence of both these versions of Catwoman and The Penguin still exist in their current-day comic book versions. But as a life-long Batman fan, BR just wasn't the Batman movie I was expecting. I like it, but grudgingly so.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - I attended a screening of this film presented in 70mm at the Samuel Goldwyn Theatre in the Academy of Arts and Sciences building in Beverly Hills this past Monday night. I'd seen it previously just last December at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. Both times there were members of the original cast in person to discuss working on the film, but on Monday night, the cast included some major league comic legends: Jonathan Winters, Mickey Rooney, Stan Freberg and Carl Reiner emceed by Billy Crystal. JUST. WOW! After the half hour panel discussion, they screened the film. But clearly that evening was the best five bucks I ever spent! I posted a blog about it on my website, and if you go there, be sure to scroll down to the comments section to use the link to the Academy's own recap of the evening because that article includes video of these guys telling their stories at the panel discussion!

Snow White and the Huntsman.

Entertaining. Charlize Theron was great as the queen. Special effects were in service to the story, which was good. I had feared it was going to be overblown with the CGI, but they did it well.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey

Absolutely LOVED it. Even if you aren't a fan of the character, aren't a kid who grew up with Elmo, have a kid who grew up with Elmo ... STILL SEE THIS!!! It's an amazing story of having a dream, working hard to get that dream and having everything you ever wished for come true, and more. It's inspirational, it's sad, it's funny, it's touching.

I do have the feeling they glossed over some things in Kevin's personal life (he did get divorced) but that wasn't what the point of the movie is. It's on Netflix Instant for anybody who wants to watch it. I recommend it.

• My prices are INSANE!

Singing In The Rain - Turner Classic Movies hosted a screening of the classic film on the big screen to celebrate it's 60th anniversary. This is one of my all time favorite films, but to finally see it in the theater with a packed house was just amazing!
    Such a classic, and to watch all those amazing dance numbers and see all the detail that only a movie theater viewing can give you.
    Such energy, and it holds up so well even 60 years later.

The next film TCM is hosting will be a screening of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds!
    Another classic film I would love to experience on the big screen.

Here's a list of TCM - Fathom screening events coming up.
    September 19 - "The Birds"
    October 24 - the original 1931 version of "Frankenstein" followed by "The Bride of Frankenstein"
    November 15 - "To Kill A Mockingbird"

Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Goofy

amazing spiderman it was good but it does not beat 1 and part 2 of the series film. and i also saw ice age 4 and it was very enjoyable and entertaining i hope to see another sequel for that movie because it was so cute

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Field of Dreams for the 27th time. My all time favorite movie.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.