Page 179 of 192 FirstFirst ... 79129154169176177178179180181182189 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 2876

• secure all cargo

Re: The "What Movie Did You Just See?" thread RELOADED

The Grandmaster. It's somewhat successful. It can be slightly unclear at times yet beautifully shot, fairly ponderous trying to follow the “Confucius say…” lines they've written for every other sentence, but nevertheless thoughtful and meditative. Although there's plenty of fighting, it's one of those films that doesn't give you action for action's sake, each match is choreographed with the dialogue to have an actual purpose in advancing the characters as the fight progresses and resolves. Feelings the characters have about Wing Chun and other schools of thought made the kung-fu into a near character itself. Ziyi Zhang and Tony Leung both give solid performances.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

LEE DANIEL'S THE BUTLER -- Every American needs to see this. That's all.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• secure all cargo

G.I. Joe: Retaliation. Other than the ninja fight on the cliffs and the banter between The Rock and Channing Tatum, I didn’t care much for it. The first film is a guilty pleasure of mine because it’s preposterously fun. The things that I liked about that film most people, especially true Joe fans, didn’t, so it seems they removed much of those things from the new film. To each their own I guess.

John Carter. After seeing Lone Ranger, I thought I'd give this one another shot. I still pretty much have the same opinions of it, but I was able to enjoy it more this time. Of the Disney summer flops, I'd say I enjoyed Prince of Persia the most, John Carter moderately so, and Lone Ranger not very much.

• keh!

Gravity

What an intense movie. It was a great ride all the way through. I watched it in IMAX 3D, and damn, was it believable! The CG seemed so real and minimal cuts made everything flow so nicely. And what a perfect soundtrack. I would see it again in IMAX.

• MiceChat Moderator

GRAVITY -- Saw it in normal 3D and it was amazing. But now I want to see it on IMAX 3D! I know that a lot of space nerds have already come down knocking it for not being plausible but I knew that while I was watching it and did not care. This was an experience. This is what the movies were made for.

• Minion

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2

Tinkerbell - Ever since these films showed up on Netflix Streaming, I've gone through several of them.

Was intrigued by the plot of "The Great Fairy Rescue" when it first came out, though I feel the strongest of the films is the second one, "Tinkerbell and the Lost Treasure," notably the cute personality they gave to the firefly named Blaze, and Tink's interactions with Terrance, like there's 'something there,' but you just accept they are really good friends.

The first film feels like it falls into that 'hey, here's a whole new world, let's introduce you to every little thing!' style of story setup.

The films on a whole are 'good,' though 'Lost Treasure' is one that I enjoy a little more. As well, the films tend to have little nods to Peter Pan here and there.

In the old days, they would have had Tinkerbell and Lizzy in "Fairy Rescue" talk perfectly to each other, but I liked that while we hear fairies talk to each other, humans hear the talk as the tinkling of bells.
    The list of Disney people I've encountered in my life: John Lasseter, Brad Bird, Lee Unkrich, Darla K Anderson, Eric Goldberg, Don Hahn, Peter Schneider, Burney Mattinson, John Musker, Ron Clements, Nik Ranieri, John Kahrs, Jeff Turley, Patrick Osbourne, Dave Bossert, Roy P Disney.

People I would love to meet in person: Glen Keane, Andreas Deja.

• secure all cargo

Oblivion. Critics complain how their jobs are filled with sequels and reboots, then here's a film that is neither and they complain it's ripping off other films. Whatever. I liked this a lot, its stunning to look at. It's not as important or weighty as the tone suggests and like the director's other film it misses a bit on the emotional scenes, but still really good.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Not sure we'll be able to get the kids to the sequel, so we Netflixed this one instead. I was really surprised how good it was, there's a lot of fun rapid-fire character-driven visual humor. Pretty exciting.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. As bad as the reviews are, I’ve always wanted to see these since reading one of the lone positive reviews by a guy I like to read. This one has some OK action scenes, but it’s pretty poorly directed. Mostly boring.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life. Better than the first. I liked the relationship between the two leads, the action generally better, and I thought the middle stretch in China was well done.

Where's Poppa? I knew nothing about this film but the first few minutes on TV caught my attention so I watched it. It’s a very dark comedy, pretty funny, but there is one scene about 2/3 through that is shockingly offensive and would never fly if made today, I almost turned it off.

Summer School. The above film reminded me of this film (Carl Reiner) that I loved watching on cable TV in the 80's. It's a fun film but this time I probably enjoyed it more for the nostalgia than anything else.

I agree- I liked "Oblivion." It was pretty. Kind of got the "twist" but that's ok. I don't mind.

Tonight we saw "Gravity." Very pretty, again. The nerd in me hated the errors in the orbital mechanics but my friend told me to shut up. It was exciting and you didn't notice that there were only a couple of actors. Not that a large cast makes for a good movie, but it's unusual that such a small cast can make a compelling story. Good use of the "in space, there is no sound" thing, though. I liked that detail a lot.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Goofy

saw carrie and i only the liked the killing part where she lets it out lol. boy her enemy got it good lol. it was not scary for me a bit and i feel kinda bad and sorry for carrie because she is beautiful very beautiful and the movie was decent but story felt kinda rushed.

don jon what was i thinking? it was not that great but okay.

• secure all cargo

Chinese Zodiac. Overall I liked it, but definitely only for fans of Jackie Chan's Hong Kong stuff. The opening chase is fun, but the next hour fifteen is mostly incredibly awful. The last thirty is pretty exciting. It's in limited release.

Jack Reacher. 2nd time watching. I think it’s underappreciated. Plot may be TV-movie-of-the-week, but it’s how the plot unfolds, how the procedural is told, efficient dialogue, old-school action, and Cruise’s performance which is gritty in part because he trims his usual mannerisms.

• MiceChat Moderator

THE MANY ADVENTURES OF WINNIE THE POOH -- Was reading the history of Pooh and all that made me want to revisit the old cartoons. It's certainly slower paced than anything out there but still has plenty of charm. Rabbit is kind of a tool though isn't he?

ROBIN HOOD -- Got it on Blu, and this is the first time seeing it since the VHS days! Which means first time seeing it in widescreen! Wow! Looks great and still funny. The repeated animation copied from older films is a bit annoying though.

TIM BURTON'S THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS -- ​A holiday must, it's been some time since I've popped this one in too.

• Disneyland PAP

The Last Man on Earth - The Vincent Price movie. I loved it the first time I watched it last year. But this year, I was less enamored with it. I think I enjoyed watching Price as he carried the majority of the picture (i.e., the title). But this time I paid more attention to the story and that was my downfall. Price is great in it but the logic of the story and characters is blurry.

The Tingler - Such a fun if cheezy monster movie, another Vincent Price film. I first saw this on TV when I was a kid and the scene where Price's character is shown removing the Tingler from the corpse's spine bugged my eyes out!

Lifeforce - My new Blu-ray arrived in the mail last week and I watched it that night. Last time I saw this was many years ago, possibly even on VHS. This time I finally got to see the extending international cut that I'd read some much praise about, and boy it's so much better. The story unfolds more slowly and I enjoyed it overall much more than the shorter domestic cut which I re-watched the next day. Yes, space alien Mathilda May is undeniable mesmerizing, and she's still beautiful today as seen in the bonus feature interview on the disc. But now that I'm older and appreciate Hammer Films more, I find that appreciate this movie a lot more than I did before. This'll be fun to watch again every Halloween.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by 3IAlienKid View Post
    Rock of Ages. Wife and I saw the Vegas version of the stage musical a few weekends ago and have been itching to check out the film since then. It doesn't quite capture the energy of seeing it live, the stage show we saw is basically a rock concert and you can't get that on film. That said, once I got past the first 30 minutes or so, the film picks up, and though it's not a great film I enjoyed it. I grew up listening to all of these songs so there's a nostalgia factor here as well. And depending on your view of Tom Cruise, you're either gonna love his performance or hate it (I fall with the former).
    I received a Blu-ray copy of this to review for a film forum a few months ago. I had no interest in seeing this movie, so maybe that low expectation helped me enjoy the film. It's not great, and since the 80's is when I graduated from high school, I prefer the originals over these cover versions (altho' their "Here I Go Again" is pretty rockin'!). But Tom Cruise is the best thing in the film. I'm no fan of his but his work here is phenomenal! Paul Giamatti was great too. It also makes me curious about the staged version; I hope to check it out one day.

• Heavy Breather

King Kong(1976)- the original King Kong is my favorite movie of all time, and when I saw this version I hated it. Keep in mind, I was very young and loved the original Kong so much that I was bias towards a different interpretation of the story. I watched it again for the first time in years the other day, and my opinion has loosed towards is....slightly. I will give this film credit in that Ann(I know her name is Dwan) grows very fond of Kong, in contrast to Fay Wray's constant screaming. The rest of the film, other than the relationship with Kong and Dwan(Ann), was rather boring to say the least. Skull Island doesn't feel prehistoric, no dinosaurs (mostly thanks in part to that giant 40 ft Kong that the producers were so sure was gonna work, but only shows up in a couple of minor shots during the climax). On top of that the other characters aren't memorable. It attempted to be an ambitious remake of one of cinemas greatest achievements, but just comes off as an embarrassment.