Page 182 of 186 FirstFirst ... 82132172179180181182183184185 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 2781

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: The "What Movie Did You Just See?" thread RELOADED

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    I just saw Frozen. I thought it was a mixture of good and bad. The songs seemed all wrong for the movie. The snowman and trolls were obnoxious. Parts of the movie seemed like "straight to dvd" quality. Then there were other parts that were picturesque and wonderful. I loved the beginning with the ice cutters for example. This movie disappointed me the same way that Brave did. Tangled stands head and shoulders above both of those movies in my opinion. I feel that Frozen could have been much more than what it was.

Agree. Except that I love Olaf. He SAVED the picture.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Surf's Up!

My recent 3 films (all in one week which is unusual for me)

Saving Mr. Banks
    (4/5) Good but not as good as I was expecting.

Road to Bali
    (3/5) First time seeing it in colour. Not bad but felt a little long.

Frozen (4/5) Stunning visuals, a few decent songs and a sense of relief that the Mouse has got back on track. (Helped on that path by Tiana, Rapunzel and Ralph).

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• secure all cargo

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. I like Bilbo as a character more than Frodo. That said, I've been generally disappointed with both Hobbit films compared to LOTR which I adore. Unexpected Journey didn't actually seem too long to me, pretty interesting, but never engaging. But this new film was way too long. I actually really liked the first half, between both films it's about the only thing I thought really worked. But once they get to Laketown it's downhill from there. Certain characters simply aren't interesting enough to warrant independent storylines. There are a couple scenes so over-dramatic that they ended up being unintentionally funny. And the scenes with Smaug while powerful initially just ended up going on and on. Like Gone2Disneyland said, you're just waiting for it to be over.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    ...Tangled stands head and shoulders above both of those movies in my opinion.
    I see what you did there. Clever.

e
    ~ Erik

• MiceChat Moderator

THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG -- I was never bored but, wow, this really is too long of a movie. haha. Yah and I think there is something different about these movies compared to Lord of the Rings. In that film, it was literally life and death situations where as this one, the threat isn't as great. The evil is only starting to grow and they're facing "minor" obstacles. I still think it's very well done and worth watching if you're into these types of movies. I eagerly await the finale.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG -- I was never bored but, wow, this really is too long of a movie. haha. Yah and I think there is something different about these movies compared to Lord of the Rings. In that film, it was literally life and death situations where as this one, the threat isn't as great. The evil is only starting to grow and they're facing "minor" obstacles. I still think it's very well done and worth watching if you're into these types of movies. I eagerly await the finale.
    Unfortunately this was one of the biggest problems I had with Jackson stretching the fairly simple and relatively short book into what I believe may even be a LONGER series than his LOTR. I get that he really wants to do the Silmarillion and all, but perhaps THIS book would have been better served by a tighter focus.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Unfortunately this was one of the biggest problems I had with Jackson stretching the fairly simple and relatively short book into what I believe may even be a LONGER series than his LOTR. I get that he really wants to do the Silmarillion and all, but perhaps THIS book would have been better served by a tighter focus.
    The Hobbit, when finished, will be at least 5-6 hours shorter than the LOTR trilogy. Considering that the third one is also just shy of three hours.

This fairly thing and short book is almost unfilmable because it is in the end a children's book. The battle of the five armies is literally heralded by "and the armies met on the plain." The lack of detail in comparison to the wealth of detail in The Lord of the rings books really doesn't translate well to a cinema screen. It's things like, you can't just skip what is arguably the most decisive battle in middle earth's history (Had Bolg in the books won this battle, Sauron would literally have been unstoppable in the events of LOTR, the defeat of the orcs here was a huge blow to Sauron's forces) only because the author has Bilbo hit with a stone and then passed out for the remainder of the battle.

The list of these unfilmable qualities of the book go on and on. You have the ridiculously overlong Bag End sequence (shorter in the movie by a mile) and then the overall rushing momentum of the book that feels very unsuitable for film. Not to mention that Gandalf leaves and pops back right in time to save the dwarves. You can't adapt a book like this and expect it to do wonders in the adult demographic. Had we had a faithful adaptation, it would alienated the audiences like the abominable Star Wars prequels.

We we got the best we could from the source material to be honest. The Hobbit doesn't hold a candle to LOTR as books and I don't see why the movies must be compared with scrutiny.

And I don't get the lack of urgency complaints. LOTR is meant to feel much more dramatic following the hobbit. The hobbit is about one guy going on a whimsical adventure while LOTR is about the end of the world.

• MiceChat Moderator

^All Good Points, HKDLFan!

ANCHORMAN 2: THE LEGEND CONTINUES -- What can I say? I laughed. A lot. Isn't that wh at we all ask from comedies? Well, yes and no. You also want a satisfying picture and I think in the end, Anchorman 2 isn't as satisfying as the first, but... there are still laughs. I just wish there was a tad better of a film to support.

Really liked Frozen more than most have said here. This story never stopped. It felt like there wasn't a frame wasted. The sisters, Anna and Elsa, were compelling in their own ways and both Kristoff and Hans were fun.

I went into this a bit reluctantly, thinking that Olaf was going to put me off, but was pleasantly surprised with this "relief" character. He sounded a bit too much like John Leguizamo's Sid sloth and for a moment, when he first appeared, I was ready to hate him. Olaf had exactly the opposite effect on me. Josh Gad plays him sweetly and with resonance. Comedy timing is as tight as can be. The young kids in the audience really became engaged when Olaf was introduced and I heard many adults laughing at his gags and lines. Olaf works better in motion than in stills, where it is tough to see the heart behind him.

My wife and I agreed that the musical numbers mostly worked with perhaps one or two exceptions. Overall, maybe I don't love this as much as Tangled, but Frozen is a visually gorgeous, well-written feature that barely catches its breath.
    ~ Erik

• Goofy

saw anchor man 2 and it was very entertaining and funny.

• keh!

American Hustle

Is this the funniest movie I've seen all year? Yes, I believe so. I absolutely LOVED it! The entire cast was on their A game and I thought everyone was lovable in their own way. The scenes between Bradley Cooper and Louis C.K. are hilarious! I honestly laughed more during American Hustle than I did during Anchorman 2. Definitely a worthy catch for the end of 2013.

Saving Mr. banks

American Hustle

and

the life of Walter Mitty

finally movies that are worth seeing, great acting, great scripts and very entertaining. I was actually pleasantly surprised with life of Walter Mitty because I am not a fan of Ben Stiller but the movie got a huge round of applause at the end at the theater I went.

• "Always On The Move..."

Glen or Glenda After watching Ed Wood last night, had to watch my copy of Plan 9 From Outer Space. Realized afterwards that I had never seen Glen or Glenda and found it on YouTube. OMG! So wonderfully bad. Gotta love early Ed Wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• secure all cargo

American Hustle. Really good movie, I liked it a lot. The director got outstanding performances from everyone and really balances well the different character arcs with everything going on in the plot. I donít know Iíd call it a comedy so much as a drama with comedic elements. The characters go through so much turmoil and heartbreak that so much of it really wasnít that funny, but very dramatic.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. Story is not as good as the first and thereís a little less zing to the direction, but itís still pretty funny. My kids liked it better than the first.

The Happiest Millionaire. Thereís enough to like that I enjoyed it overall. It can be touching at times, Tommy Steele is hilarious, and some of the musical sequences are memorable like the one in the pub or the alligator reprise of Fortuosity (that guy is pretty brave). Itís kinda fun to see on film some of the props/costumes Iíve seen on display elsewhere like the sweatshirt or the phone booth. Pretty cool.

Casablanca. Best movie ever.

Tarzan. Probably in my top 10 Disney animated films of all time, or at least pretty close.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• Surf's Up!

Gnomeo & Juilet

3.5/5 I was pleasantly surprised. Good animation and an amazing cast.. but Sir Elton's music was somewhat under utilised.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney