Re: The "What Movie Did You Just See?" thread RELOADED

The Wild
    A Madagascar rip off

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    The Wild
    A Madagascar rip off
    Absolutely LOVED The Wild. A thousand times more than any of the Madagascar films. One of my all time favorite films.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• keh!

Nebraska

I quite enjoyed it. Like other Alexander Payne films, there are depressing moments, but I was very satisfied with the end. Every actor did a great job. My favorite being June Squibb. She was hilarious and I looked forward to all of her scenes!

I just re watched paranormal activity 2

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    Nebraska

I quite enjoyed it. Like other Alexander Payne films, there are depressing moments, but I was very satisfied with the end. Every actor did a great job. My favorite being June Squibb. She was hilarious and I looked forward to all of her scenes!

Watched this yesterday as well and yah, it's a very good film that's sad, sweet, slow… and often funny. June Squibb stole every scene she was in. Just terrific and delightful in that embarrassing but lovable way.

In ranking best picture nominees though, this might be closer to the bottom of the pack because it is a more simple story… but a really well told one.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug #3rd viewing

Not sure why the hate is so rampant... These adaptations are infinitely better than the source material from which they have been adapted. If you think otherwise, it's either nostalgia or that you haven't read the book. A book like that is a children's book that can't appeal to the general audience. Though Tolkien isn't to blame, it's plain obvious that he intended The Hobbit to be for children and LOTR for adults. It's things like how in the book, there's almost an entire chapter devoted to how the dwarves are trying to understand the thrush and the raven (hopefully this scene will not be in the movie) and only one line given to the Battle of the Five Armies. The most climactic battle in the book and arguably one that has greater consequences than the Battle of Pelenor Fields is literally one paragraph. And people complain the filmmakers are stretching the story? Clearly, many have not read the book...

Frozen 2nd viewing
    Brilliant... Just brilliant.

Captain Phillips

How did Hanks NOT get an Oscar nom? Such a powerfully deep and engaging film.

Gravity 2nd viewing

Disappointed... The movie looks good only on the big screen it seems. I have a 60 inch TV, which is quite big, and I felt Gravity was a 50% lesser film. It's easier to nitpick the story, science and dialogue of the movie when you aren't mesmerised by the immensity of the environment.

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Watched this yesterday as well and yah, it's a very good film that's sad, sweet, slow… and often funny. June Squibb stole every scene she was in. Just terrific and delightful in that embarrassing but lovable way.

In ranking best picture nominees though, this might be closer to the bottom of the pack because it is a more simple story… but a really well told one.
    Well said. It's a good small story, but there were more powerful films in mix. I knew 12 Years a Slave would win because of the important subject matter. I haven't seen all the other nominees, but I say Dallas Buyers Club would have been 2nd. Although I do wish Gravity had taken it all, my favorite in the category. Space is cool, I like space.

• MiceChat Moderator

IRON MAN 3 -- (Audio Commentary) I was one of those who was really disappointed with this movie. Yes, it's entertaining but so much bothered me. The handling of The Mandarin, the way Mark 42 kept sucking, the ending.. a lot. Watching the commentary was more entertaining than the movie in a way because they raise all of these points that bothered me, but explained that they took a chance with doing something new or different which…. to be honest, I can appreciate. I can appreciate artists trying their hand at something… but if they did all of this because they were complete idiots, that's something I don't like.

• secure all cargo

Ender's Game. Itís pretty good I thought. Strong performances by all the adults but also surprisingly the kids too. You could probably make a general comparison to Hunger Games Ė kids doing grown-up violent war things.

Cowboys and Aliens. I can maybe see why it wasnít popular, but I liked it. The western part is pretty well done, the alien part is not as interesting but good enough. I really liked all the characters and performances. Craig is great and Ford gives one of his best performances in a while.

The Sound of Music. Totally blown away by how good the bluray looks. Also, I think the last time I saw this was on VHS pan-and-scan, so seeing this widescreen I had no idea how gorgeous each shot looks. Really awesome, I think I may have to buy this.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• Disneyland PAP

Thor: The Dark World, Frozen & Get a Horse - Two new Blu-rays I recently watched. I enjoyed Thor a little more this time; seeing it in theatres my first time, I had a hard time keeping up with the science-y details and dimension jumping. Enjoyed Frozen more this time as well. As I watched in theatres the first time, my brain kept getting distracted with how non-formulaic the story and songs were from past Disney princess films. This time, I just let it go (no pun intended actually) and really just embraced it as it unfolded. As for the short Get a Horse, I don't own an 3D HDTV, and I really enjoyed it more when I saw it in 3D in theatres.

Muppets Most Wanted - Didn't enjoy this as much as The Muppets which has a little deeper story than this had, but it's not bad. I was more entertained with the second half of the film than the first half. There's a lot more camera optical effects done here with the Muppets than I've ever seen before, and as an old guy, seeing that made me realize part of the fun of watching the Muppets is seeing how cleverly the performers do as much for their acting and physical stunts practically without using computers. It's not done a lot, but it's obvious where they do it. And recognizing most of the cameos was fun!

• Heavy Breather

Frozen on Blu Ray: Still an amazing film. I'm so glad it's being embraced by the public the way it is.

I also saw Mr Peabody and Sherman yesterday. I enjoyed it immensely. I was interested in seeing it partially due to it's source material. I thought Ty Burrell killed it as Peabody. Most of the voice actors did a stroller job. I mean who doesn't love Patrick Warburton?? Another thing I loved was the undated WABAC. In the original cartoon, it appears to just be a door. It makes one wonder, "Ok, how do they know which door to go back into to go back home?" In the end, it was a fun animated adaptation of a seemingly forgotten cartoon character. Wouldn't expect any less from Rob Minkoff.

• MiceChat Moderator

FROZEN -- For the third time and…. I'm gonna be in the apparent minority here but… this is the weakest film out of Disney in a very long time (4-5 years or so). Yes, there's some good stuff and yes, it's very entertaining. But I cant' help but see through how weak ALL of the character motivations are in this film. Some things are unexplained or skipped over, and some things just aren't what it SHOULD have been. I can go on and on about it but nobody can change my mind (they've tried). The problems I have with this movie are too apparent that I cannot ignore them.

But… what I do see is that it's a entertaining film that's very simple to understand. And that, I suppose is why so many people can relate. But me personally, I need more from Disney. I need a deeper story, deeper characters, deeper flaws, better songs, and villains that… well… I don't need "villains" per se but I would love story arcs that make sense. If you really dig down and look at what's actually happening on screen, none of it makes sense. The action makes sense.. the motivation behind it does not. The characters do things because that's what's written… but their characters aren't written to believe in that action.

Elsa runs away because she "doesn't want to hurt anyone". But she hasn't hurt anyone since she was a child. She should run away because she can't live the way she's been living. Thus, her song "Let it Go" really doesn't mean what it should mean.

Anna, having no memory of Elsa's powers isn't shocked or surprised by her sister's sudden turn. And even though Elsa has ignored her ALL OF HER LIFE, she thinks she can just run up the mountain and fix it willy nilly? Where's the doubt? Where's the fear? Where's the thought that "I don't think I can do this but to save my kingdom, I need to"? The filmmakers make her go on this quest to be heroic… but they seem to have forgotten what it is that makes someone heroic.

Kristoff, apparently has no family. Those ice merchants just let him tag along and leave him with the trolls? Was he homeless the entire time prior?

Anna and Elsa's parents were no longer needed so they were written out. And not in a good way. Seriously tossed away without adding to the story. At this point, Elsa already ignored Anna. Had their parents went on a quest to find Elsa a cure, it would make Elsa's guilt of concealing her powers all the stronger… and should… make her even colder towards Anna as a result.

Hans… man, oh man… don't like how this played out. It was sloppy. Always tie up your loose ends. It's just unsatisfying. The Duke of Weselton was sloppy as well. What was the point of him? For misdirection? Did it work? Not enough. It just made things more convoluted.

Olaf, the saving grace of the film. Even for the one to have an unnecessary song number that doesn't add to the story, it was one of the better songs in the movie.

So anyway, sorry that went long. I just… this movie isn't as great as people say it is.

• -

Captain America: The Winter Soldier Saw this right after work yesterday. Awesome movie. Possibly the best Marvel movie to date. It wasn't true to the source material, but it was so well done that it didn't bother me.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    FROZEN -- For the third time and…. I'm gonna be in the apparent minority here but… this is the weakest film out of Disney in a very long time (4-5 years or so). Yes, there's some good stuff and yes, it's very entertaining. But I cant' help but see through how weak ALL of the character motivations are in this film. Some things are unexplained or skipped over, and some things just aren't what it SHOULD have been. I can go on and on about it but nobody can change my mind (they've tried). The problems I have with this movie are too apparent that I cannot ignore them.

But… what I do see is that it's a entertaining film that's very simple to understand. And that, I suppose is why so many people can relate. But me personally, I need more from Disney. I need a deeper story, deeper characters, deeper flaws, better songs, and villains that… well… I don't need "villains" per se but I would love story arcs that make sense. If you really dig down and look at what's actually happening on screen, none of it makes sense. The action makes sense.. the motivation behind it does not. The characters do things because that's what's written… but their characters aren't written to believe in that action.

Elsa runs away because she "doesn't want to hurt anyone". But she hasn't hurt anyone since she was a child. She should run away because she can't live the way she's been living. Thus, her song "Let it Go" really doesn't mean what it should mean.

Anna, having no memory of Elsa's powers isn't shocked or surprised by her sister's sudden turn. And even though Elsa has ignored her ALL OF HER LIFE, she thinks she can just run up the mountain and fix it willy nilly? Where's the doubt? Where's the fear? Where's the thought that "I don't think I can do this but to save my kingdom, I need to"? The filmmakers make her go on this quest to be heroic… but they seem to have forgotten what it is that makes someone heroic.

Kristoff, apparently has no family. Those ice merchants just let him tag along and leave him with the trolls? Was he homeless the entire time prior?

Anna and Elsa's parents were no longer needed so they were written out. And not in a good way. Seriously tossed away without adding to the story. At this point, Elsa already ignored Anna. Had their parents went on a quest to find Elsa a cure, it would make Elsa's guilt of concealing her powers all the stronger… and should… make her even colder towards Anna as a result.

Hans… man, oh man… don't like how this played out. It was sloppy. Always tie up your loose ends. It's just unsatisfying. The Duke of Weselton was sloppy as well. What was the point of him? For misdirection? Did it work? Not enough. It just made things more convoluted.

Olaf, the saving grace of the film. Even for the one to have an unnecessary song number that doesn't add to the story, it was one of the better songs in the movie.

So anyway, sorry that went long. I just… this movie isn't as great as people say it is.
    Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! This all the way! I absolutely agree with everything. Especially the deal with Kristoff. Where is his real family? He was raised by trolls? He lived outdoors in the harsh winter as a kid?! It's entertaining but Frozen is beyond overrated. Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph are far superior.

Saw Captain America: Winter Soldier just last night.

It was always a question of how the Marvel movies will tie into Agents of SHIELD, but without saying a whole lot, I'm sure everyone who has seen this movie will be left wondering what's going to happen to Coulson's team. It has to be the most intense Marvel film in the Cinematic Universe to date!

I know Guardians will help further the arc surrounding the Infinity Stones from Dark World, but I think Marvel knew we would need some comic relief after what went down here.