Page 189 of 191 FirstFirst ... 89139164179186187188189190191 LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 2859

Re: The "What Movie Did You Just See?" thread RELOADED

Edge of Tomorrow

It's a fun summer flick, good action, great effects. Slow beginning, and I sure wish we knew more about the invading aliens. It was refreshing how the romance wasn't the main chunk of story.

• secure all cargo

Edge of Tomorrow. OMG, why is the box office so low for this? I had a great time. Maybe my favorite film so far this year. Smart storytelling, exciting and tense from start to finish, surprisingly funny and even hilarious, tight editing, and 2 solid performances. For the first third of the film Tom Cruise plays an anti-Tom Cruise character and does it very well - he is at his best when he stretches himself. And Emily Blunt just kicks a__.

Seriously, 90% fresh tomatoes, why aren't more people going to see this? Is Tom Cruise really that big of a turn off? Usually it doesn't bother me too much when a film I like gets overlooked, but this one really bugs me.

I just came across the article/video I've linked below. The guy verges on making it sound like you should see the movie for the sake of "supporting" originality which I don't totally buy. But I agree with the idea that it's hypocritical for people complain so much about sequels and reboots, then finally here's something original and really good and no one is going. Plus, I just like the title of the link. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Monday Movie Memo: People! Stop Ignoring Edge Of Tomorrow - CinemaBlend.com
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• ~

Coraline. Have been wanting to see this one since it first came out. Worth the wait, hauntingly beautiful in every regard. I only had a small complaint in how they framed Coraline's unhappiness towards the beginning--her mother was a bit too harsh, making the supposed lesson of being grateful for what you have and not asking for more seem a little phoned in, particularly since her mother actually seemed like a different person at the end of the film, giving Coraline what she wanted rather than having her accept the lesson that (I think) the film was trying to teach. If her mother would have showed some of that tenderness or understanding towards the beginning (mixed in with her sternness and practicality), making Coraline's unhappiness, while still warranted in some ways, a little more unreasonable (like Merida in Brave who, while justified in her frustration, reacted in an equally unfair manner), the message would have been stronger. But that's a small nitpick in a film that was stunningly animated (the textures, the movements, the colors), gorgeously scored, well-written, creative, and beautifully dark. A good way to start off a summer in which I hope to watch more non-Disney animated films (ParaNorman, The Secret of Kells, Mary and Max, The Painting, Chico & Rita, The Illusionist, The Iron Giant, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Secret of NIHM, A Scanner Darkly, any Studio Ghibli that I haven't seen yet--list totally open to suggestions).

• Disneyland PAP

^ Coraline is hidden treasure imo. Great film!

Here's what I've seen the past week or so.

Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 & Part 2 - Been wanting to revisit the world of Harry Potter and decided to hit the films instead of the books, for time. I've seen the first three movies a lot, so I decided to jump towards the end and watch Half-Blood Prince. I'm glad I did. I'd devoured every bit of the books and had always went in well informed as I saw each new film in the theatre. Years later, the details are sketchy in my fading memory, but that made watching these less-watched films a journey of discovery that I wasn't expecting and thoroughly enjoyed. It was a blast to watch this trio again. So much fun!! Followed up by watching the Rowling-Radcliffe interview bonus feature.

The LEGO Movie - Bought it Day One on Blu-ray. Second time seeing it after watching it in theatres. It's awesome! And I enjoyed the bonus feature "Dream Job: Meet the LEGO Builders" too.

Superman and The Mole Men - Christopher Reeve's Superman was another film I wanted to revisit, but when I popped in the disc to watch it, I ended up choosing this movie instead. It's very interesting to see this early interpretation of the hero. Very much a man of moral integrity and compassion. No grey areas, the kind of Hero I'd think American audiences would instantly find virtuous. Reeves presents those qualities very strongly here.

The Social Network - Finally watched this movie that's been sitting amongst my pile of Blu-rays I've bought for years. Great film! I really felt frustrated by Eisenburg's Zuckerburg, meaning I was really drawn into the story. Also loved seeing Garfield and Hammer post-Spidey and Lone Ranger. Never seen Rooney and Timberlake in a movie before, and they were great here too. Probably just as good as the film is the documentary included in the set, "How Did They Ever Make a Movie of Facebook?". Have never seen a bonus feature where some of the cast were so candid about working with a director and writer whom they were in awe of. And the moments where Fincher and Sorkin were analyzing the lines in the script were memerizing!

Weekend was awesome! Disney/Pixar marathon on TV!

We watched: Monsters Inc., Up and Finding Nemo on Saturday. Followed by Rocky, Saving Mr. Banks, Haunted Mansion and Bad Grandpa... LOL!

That's far more than usual! LOL! I usually watch maybe one move per week

Favorite DL Ride:
    Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion
    Favorite DLCA Ride: Radiator Springs Racers

• secure all cargo

World War Z. Iím not really into the zombie genre, but I thought this movie was pretty exciting and effective. Good direction and performances.

In Bruges. Really good dark comedy. You can tell early on the characters are pretty tragic, but they are also very interesting and funny. The very ending was a little too contrived, but nevertheless I appreciated the irony.

To Be or Not to Be
    . Iíll always have a fondness for this one. Even though it follows pretty closely to the better-made original film, for me this remake is funnier. You could almost say Mel Brooks is one of the few people qualified to make these Nazi jokes. And Charles Durning and Christopher Lloyd are hilarious Ė they have good lines, but itís more in how they deliver them.

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
    . I thought the first was funny but never loved it so much I needed a sequel. That said, I thought this one was pretty good, maybe a bit more clever than the first.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION -- Hmmm… what to say what to say about this 2 hour 35 minute beast of a movie. It's rated as Michael Bay's worst movie but Transformers 2 was PRETTY DARN BAD if I last recall. But they're not the same kind of bad that other movies might be. These are REALLY DUMB but watchable. It's really perplexing isn't it? What Michael Bay delivers on are the latest in visual effects wizardry, great looking locations, and fancy cars. What he fails to deliver are robot characters we can believe in and root for. This movie is called TRANSFORMERS… not HUMANS. The story makes sense in its own perverted little way. The script however is a bloated mess. But I didn't hate it. It's just way too long and mind numbing for me to care to revisit.

And the worst crime of a movie like this? It doesn't make me want to buy any toys. I suppose it doesn't hurt that the toys look TERRIBLE but that's besides the point.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• ~

How to Train Your Dragon 2. Gjfowepfojsd, it was so good. Hit almost all the right chords for me, one of the best movies I've seen in a while (at least in terms of personal enjoyment). The film does have its problems (its story isn't as tight as the first, some of the dialogue is still iffy, the side characters are still rather weak/annoying though I do think they improved from the last film, the villain is only so-so, and I can understand the comment above that thought it was a tad "preachy"), but I had the biggest smile on my face from the opening shot through walking out of the theater, so whatever flaws it has aren't of much consequence for me (in comparison, I had the same goofy smile on my face at the beginning of Frozen through "Vuelie/Frozen Heart," but it faded away several minutes in and the film didn't manage to win me back). The action sequences are exciting and epic, the flying scenes are beautiful, the main characters are likable and layered, the score is absolutely gorgeous and flows perfectly with every frame, and the world is expanded well with more exploration of types of dragons and how they behave (along with some really beautiful, Miyazaki-reminiscent designs). I liked it every bit as much as the first--although they are quite different movies, I feel like was a strong sequel, it took things in a different direction and expanded on what was done on the first, but kept the heart and the relationships of the original. I can see where some have issues with it, particularly with how different it is to its predecessor (very action and fantasy driven in contrast to the more intimate story about a boy, his dragon, and his father), but all I can say is that I had very little issues with it and hope that Dreamworks makes a third.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    How to Train Your Dragon 2. Gjfowepfojsd, it was so good. Hit almost all the right chords for me, one of the best movies I've seen in a while (at least in terms of personal enjoyment). The film does have its problems (its story isn't as tight as the first, some of the dialogue is still iffy, the side characters are still rather weak/annoying though I do think they improved from the last film, the villain is only so-so, and I can understand the comment above that thought it was a tad "preachy"), but I had the biggest smile on my face from the opening shot through walking out of the theater, so whatever flaws it has aren't of much consequence for me (in comparison, I had the same goofy smile on my face at the beginning of Frozen through "Vuelie/Frozen Heart," but it faded away several minutes in and the film didn't manage to win me back). The action sequences are exciting and epic, the flying scenes are beautiful, the main characters are likable and layered, the score is absolutely gorgeous and flows perfectly with every frame, and the world is expanded well with more exploration of types of dragons and how they behave (along with some really beautiful, Miyazaki-reminiscent designs). I liked it every bit as much as the first--although they are quite different movies, I feel like was a strong sequel, it took things in a different direction and expanded on what was done on the first, but kept the heart and the relationships of the original. I can see where some have issues with it, particularly with how different it is to its predecessor (very action and fantasy driven in contrast to the more intimate story about a boy, his dragon, and his father), but all I can say is that I had very little issues with it and hope that Dreamworks makes a third.

Nice review. I know that Dreamworks is working on a third Dragon movie.

I will disagree to a degree about the designs of the dragons. This was always something that I was never quite a fan with from the first film to the 2nd. I love just about most of the designs that come out of Studio Ghibli and would buy stuff if they made any…. but never felt compelled to even look at the Dragon toys because of the designs. They work better as comic strip designs than CG feature film dragons.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I will disagree to a degree about the designs of the dragons. This was always something that I was never quite a fan with from the first film to the 2nd. I love just about most of the designs that come out of Studio Ghibli and would buy stuff if they made any…. but never felt compelled to even look at the Dragon toys because of the designs. They work better as comic strip designs than CG feature film dragons.
    I wasn't referring to the smaller dragons (that was a problem I had with the first as well, although I thought some of the new dragons looked less cartoony in this one), but specifically the Alpha dragon (as well as some of the landscapes). The sequence introducing the Alpha felt similar to the spirits (particularly the Forest Spirit) in Princess Mononoke.

• MiceChat Moderator

THE LONE RANGER -- I bought it on blu and finally watched it. It's really not as bad as the critics made it out to be. It's a bit long and it is violent but going in knowing all that, the story pretty much works and visually and musically it's gorgeous. Hopefully this movie will be better appreciated in time.

• "Always On The Move..."

Her Finally saw it after seeing it take an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. Fascinating concept in dealing with our increasing use (and dependency) on technology and just how far can artificial intelligence go. Interesting visually (LOTS of closeups and use of the color orange. Not only was it everywhere (costumes, sets, etc.) but it seemed that a lot of time it was filmed through an orange filter. Would love to find out the significance of it. While I absolutely loved the film and was totally taken in and intrigued by it, I have no desire to ever see it again. It was very uncomfortable to watch...which is what I think the director was going for. Definately check it out. You will never look at Siri the same way again.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• former CM

"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes"
    Excellent!

Unless you feel morally obligated to see all of the credits to honor a movie's makers (
    because they're so much more important than all of those who made my car upon which my life depends, or our computers upon which our society's future depend),
    NOTE that the closing credits are long, visually uninteresting, accompanied by bad music, and DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING INTERESTING AT THE END. I mention this because my 9-year-old and I were disappointed and skipping them might add at least 5 minutes to your life. (It seemed like 20.) "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" had one of my two or three favorite credit scene additions, so we thought there'd be something here too. A little bit of monkey sound effects at the very end which made the lack of a scene even more annoying.

So I just added a little time to your life--assuming you spent just 1-2 minutes reading this. You're welcome. (Unless you're IN the credits. Then, I'm sorry.)

Finally had a chance to see Real Steel While I am normally not the least bit interested in any kind of "fight/boxing" movie. What little I had seen had caught my interest. Needless to say I was not disapointed and found that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The robots (especially Atom) totally fascinated me and I found myself wondering if they were suits, motion capture, or CGI. Found out that they were a combination of 8.5 foot puppets for most of the scenes and some CGI for the actual fight scenes. Beautifully manipulated and bravo to the puppeters who brought them to life.
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Since it was on cable, I decided to give Frozen a second chance. No change on my feelings. It's just ok. In fact I found myself pretty distracted and checking to see how much longer it had to go. I just don't get the passion for it. Going to go cleanse the palate by watching ​Mulan
    Last edited by AlohaStitch; 07-15-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!