Page 50 of 192 FirstFirst ... 2540474849505152536075100150 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: The "What Movie Did You Just See?" thread RELOADED

Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Blu Ray)

Now this movie you could instantly tell the difference in Blu Ray. Still one of the great opening scenes of any movie ever. Some of the effects look MUCH better in Blu although the scene that has ALWAYS bugged me as far as the effects (Breaking of the damn, flooding of Isengard) didn't look much better.

• secure all cargo

The Warlords with Jet Li. Less kung-fu, more army battles on an epic scale. It won best director and best actor at the Hong Kong Academy Awards. It was pretty good, but a couple times characters did things I didn't quite see coming. It seemed their motivations were changing, but there was nothing portrayed in the film that gave any indication or hint of it, and that's why I didn't always buy what these characters chose to do. Also, a couple times there were scene transitions that were abrupt, almost chopped up.

Well afterwards, I read that the current theatrical release which I just saw was 113 minutes, while the original Asian release in 2008 was over 120. So my guess is that some of those missing scenes would have given the clarity I felt was missing. U.S. studios are always hacking up foreign films.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

TERMINATOR SALVATION - I'm gonna hand it to McG. He took Terminator and spun something new with it. Did we need another Terminator movie? No, we didn't. But after seeing 'Salvation', I'm glad it's there.

Like all sequels, 'Salvation' is constantly nodding to the past, perhaps a little too much but the result is still a technical marvel and a darn fun popcorn movie. The majority of the effects in this film are practical and caught in camera so that took me by surprise and really impressed me more than a lot of other summer movies did.

The actors hold their weight and keep things interesting, even when the robots aren't on screen. And above all else, this movie gave us the single best rant of any actor EVER. See it for that and see it for the legacy of Stan Winston.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Delawarean Girl

Princess and the Frog -It's pretty good. I like the Charlotte girl. She's so funny. I have to say, I didn't care for any of the songs . But they do go with the movie.

• ...is busy, please hold.

My Bloody Valentine in 2-D & realD)) 3-D

Finally I see this one and really there's no reason to see this unless in 3-D.
    Major plot holes,pop-ups, jolt scares, overdone nudity... it really sunders the original gore-fest. Which i idealize!
    1. It was one of the first slashers & 2. It's completely Canadian!(with interiors shot in Halifax and mine scenes shot in the actual nearby North Sydney Mines!) Also the original is more creative, there's only two kills in the remake in which Miner 49'er doesn't use his trademark pick to off some sad cur.
    Remake stars film legend Tom Atkins and Supernatural's Jensen Ackle.

Away We Go

Juno for hipsters. Hilarious,sweet,somber and moving. An Indy about a young couple finding the perfect place on the continent to raise their expected baby girl. Lead by The Office's John Krasinski & SNL's Maya Rudoplh with Jeff Daniels, Allison Janney and Catherine O'Hara.
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    THIS IS IT - we really lost one of the greatest performers of our time. Truly. Watching this footage, there's no way that Michael Jackson is as bad as the media portrayed him to be.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I saw Captain EO a month ago for the very first time at Disneyland and it brought me to tears. Michael Jackson was a great performer and pure genius. Long live Michael.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I watched Ponyo this weekend, and it was the first animated movie I've watched in Blu Ray. I almost fell off the couch just looking at the Disney castle logo before the movie even started! Gorgeous! The movie was very cute, but really, who leaves a 5 year old at home in the middle of a giant storm like that? I liked this movie a lot, and it is definitely for a younger audience than some of the other Miyazaki movies.

I love Japanese movies because nobody ever questions the magical elements- a giant lizard rose out of the sea and fought a giant moth? A giant robot? A house that walks around? Parents turned into pigs? A girl that once was a fish? Okay, no problem!
    Last edited by SusieP.; 04-11-2010 at 01:46 PM.
    A signature should go here.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

The Time Traveler's Wife- About what I expected, not bad not fantastic.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Circle of Ancients

TERMINATOR SALVATION - I'm gonna hand it to McG. He took Terminator and spun something new with it. Did we need another Terminator movie? No, we didn't. But after seeing 'Salvation', I'm glad it's there.

Like all sequels, 'Salvation' is constantly nodding to the past, perhaps a little too much but the result is still a technical marvel and a darn fun popcorn movie. The majority of the effects in this film are practical and caught in camera so that took me by surprise and really impressed me more than a lot of other summer movies did.

The actors hold their weight and keep things interesting, even when the robots aren't on screen. And above all else, this movie gave us the single best rant of any actor EVER. See it for that and see it for the legacy of Stan Winston.
    I actually enjoyed it too, and I thought it fit with the Terminator franchise quite well.

Where the Wild Things Are

I REALLY wanted to like this, but I'm not sure if I did or not. Maybe it's because I was so tired?

BandSlam

I was expecting utter crap, but it actually wasn't too bad. I thought with Vanessa Hudgens it would be "High School Musical 4" but it actually had some good music in it.

• "Always On The Move..."

THIS IS IT - we really lost one of the greatest performers of our time. Truly. Watching this footage, there's no way that Michael Jackson is as bad as the media portrayed him to be.
    Completely agree with you!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Where the Wild Things Are

I REALLY wanted to like this, but I'm not sure if I did or not. Maybe it's because I was so tired?
    Nope. This was dreadful. Someone forgot to leave in the "fun".

• Infinitized!

Watched a few on DVD over the last few days:

Wall Street - Good movie. Interesting to watch in this day and age. Thought I'd watch it since they're releasing Gordon Gekko from jail in the fall.

Superman II - I continued watching the Superman films from that 2-disc set that has all four movies in it. Good follow-up to the first one.

Superman III - Haven't seen this one since the 80s so I really couldn't remember the plot. The first half was ok, the 2nd half was not so ok. What was up with that fembot at the end?

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - Last time I saw it I was 8 and it was at the theater when it first came out. Holy crap! I couldn't remember how bad this one was. OMG did Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman go to waste in this one. This one was to Superman as Batman & Robin was to the Batman series; coincidentally both the 4th movies in each DC movie series'. I might actually use the disc that has III & IV on it as a coaster. No wonder they made Superman Returns to sort of forget about III & IV.

At the theater last night I saw:

Alice in Wonderland in 3D - It was ok. I thought it would be better. I gave it a rating of 3 in the other thread. I found myself nodding off a few times (maybe I was just tired). I found it to be too quiet and too slow for long periods of time. Was that Mad Hatter break dancing scene a setup for Alice in Wonderland II: The Mad Hatter Boogaloo? Once it comes out on DVD, I'll give it another chance. Perhaps after another viewing I may like it better. Also, after seeing another movie recently, I was sitting there and I kept waiting for Crispin Glover's arm to get chopped off. Now where's that bottle of Chernobly...

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Superman III - Haven't seen this one since the 80s so I really couldn't remember the plot. The first half was ok, the 2nd half was not so ok. What was up with that fembot at the end?

Still to this day, one of the most frightening things I've ever seen.

• Circle of Ancients

Nope. This was dreadful. Someone forgot to leave in the "fun".
    I think that's exactly it!!!

• Infinitized!

Still to this day, one of the most frightening things I've ever seen.
    Superman IV gave me nightmares last night - true story.

On DVD, I also watched:
    Swiss Family Robinson - I got a hold of the Vault Disney edition for $9.99. Fun movie. The Swiss Family really does need to move back into the treehouse in Disneyland. It's too bad the Vault Disney line didn't go past 4 movies.