Page 59 of 192 FirstFirst ... 93449565758596061626984109159 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: The "What Movie Did You Just See?" thread RELOADED

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Watched all of the Star Wars movies over the weekend:

Episode I - The Phantom Menace
    Don't hate it as much as most, don't love it as much as some. In the grand scheme of things, even though it's better than Episode II, it's really a throw-away episode and really does nothing except to introduce characters we already know.

Episode II - Attack of the Clones
    The worst of the Star Wars movies (IMO). That being said, this REALLY should have been Episode I as they re-cap The Phantom Menace in about 5 seconds.

Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
    Certainly the best of the "prequel" movies but still doesn't come close to any of the original movies. The ending battle between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan is worth the price of admission alone. Where this movie missed the ball was that we only got to see about 10 minutes of "The Clone Wars" (which we had heard about since 1977). This should have been Episode II and Episode III should have been more about the rise of the Empire and the continued fall of Anakin Skywalker into Darth Vader.

Episode IV - A New Hope
    Still a classic movie and the one that started it all. The only thing I hate about these is all of the "Special Edition" stuff. Some of it doesn't bother me much (Han running into the army on the Death Star) some bothers me a LOT (Luke, Obi-Wan's entrance to Mos Eisley ... WAY too much computer generated stuff) and of course "Han Shot First".

Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
    Still the best of the entire series, bar none. And is it any wonder that this has the least amount of "Special Edition" changes? And the changes it does have (Additional views of Bespin) are actually ok with me.

Episode VI - The Return of the Jedi
    This one suffers almost as bad from "Special Edition-itis" as Episode IV. The story is still there. The amazing final battle is still there. But the extra song on Jabba's palace and the ending showing all of the different planets just doesn't fit. You can tell it was done 20 years later.

Still, one of the great movie series of all time, I just REALLY hope we get the original trilogy without any "Special Edition" stuff when it comes out on Blu Ray and that SOMEBODY will re-do the "Prequel" trilogy story the right way when George Lucas dies.

Agree with you on the worst prequel being Attack of the Clones. As for best prequel, I actually think The Phantom Menace is because as you said, it's a throwaway introduction piece - there's not a lot riding on it and it does have the single most impressively choreographed lightsaber battle in ALL of the prequels.

Revenge of the Sith is maybe more entertaining than Ep1 but where it fails is the handling of the story, atrocious acting, and unconvincing turn to the darkside. The final lightsaber battle is absolutely boring and unemotional until they stop. The fight was too precise and not enough "close-calls" or "whoa, you almost got me". There was none of that. Just calculated, forced, robot fighting. Nothing human about it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

^ I do agree that the Lightsaber battle in Ep. I was the best but I still have some issues with the entire sequence. There are what, 4 different "Battles" going on and the Gungan battle is just such a waste of film.

The other problem I have is with the whole "Force field thing that Obi Wan can't get through". Earlier in the same movie we saw both of the Jedi's have some kind of "super speed" when running away from the Droids. Couldn't he have used the same thing to get through all of those?

• Infinitized!

Watched all of the Star Wars movies over the weekend:
    No you didn't. You still have four more to watch:
    Star Wars Episode 1.5: The Star Wars Holiday Special!
    Star Wars Episode 2.5: The Clone Wars
    Star Wars Episode 5.51: Caravan of Courage
    Star Wars Episode 5.52: The Battle for Endor
    So try watching all ten movies in order.

Don't know why, each time I watch Battle for Endor I get a craving for oatmeal...

Anyways...
    What did I see recently? A few:
    In the theater last week:
    Robin Hood - It was good, not great but good. You have to remember that this is sort of an origin story - how Robin Hood and his men became outlaws. It was good, but not Ridley Scott's best work.

On DVD:
    Men Who Stare at Goats - I thought it was funny. I burst out lauging at the part where Clooney hits the guy with the truck. Had to rewind that a few times.

The Emperor's New Groove - I was craving a DAC so I put this in. Always get a kick out of the old guy getting tossed out the window at the beginning.

The Wolfman - I missed it in the theater and picked it up today on DVD to add to my Universal Studios monster collection. I thought it was great. I don't know why the critics didn't like it, mind you I did watch the director's cut on the DVD so I don't know how many differences there are from the theatrical release. What hurt the movie, I think, was the release date. Had it been released in late September/early October before Halloween, it would've been a lot more successful. Having it released on Feb 12 was stupid. It was competing against the start of the winter Olympics in Vancouver. I think most people were at home watching the games on TV - I was glued to the action myself, and then went to Vancouver during the 2nd week of the games. I thought it was much better than Stephen Sommers' reboot of the Mummy series or his Van Helsing. Hope Universal goes ahead with remakes of The Creature from the Black Lagoon and Invisible Man. I heard there's a Bride of Frankenstein in the works too. I'm still pondering one thing though, why didn't Hugo Weaving kick Wolfman in the nards?

• Circle of Ancients

^ We also VERY much enjoyed the Wolfman. I don't get why it was so blasted either.

• Disneyland PAP

Batman (1989) - I popped this Blu-ray Disc in after it was mentioned amongst Burton's good/bad films in the Alice in Wonderland thread. I'm a long time comic book read and Batman fan, so even after the awesomeness of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, Batman still entertains. Jack is just a joy to watch. The gothic tone works fine. And Danny Elfman's score soars. I actually LOL when his score pumped up dramatically when we see the Batmobile for the first time, way to sell it! Ironically I have some issues with Batman Returns. As inspired as it was, it clashed with some silly comic book notions I grew up with (Damn shiny costume, Bats! ). Plus I've always thought that movie should be called Catwoman; her story arc was the best.

• MiceChat Moderator

I never cared for Tim Burton's Batman movies. I swallowed the hype though and thought they were exciting to like.. but the movies were never that great.

Last night I watched THE LITTLE MERMAID. Still REALLY good but I'm shocked at how inconsistent the animation is/was... it's something I noticed a long time ago but completely forgotten. It's also kind of funny how simple the story is. Girl sees boy, girl loves boy, girl saves boy, boy loves girl. Definitely a fairy tale in that sense.

AND I HAD NO IDEA THAT LOUIS THE CHEF IS PLAYED BY ODO IN STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE!!!!!!

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Last night I watched THE LITTLE MERMAID. Still REALLY good but I'm shocked at how inconsistent the animation is/was... it's something I noticed a long time ago but completely forgotten. It's also kind of funny how simple the story is. Girl sees boy, girl loves boy, girl saves boy, boy loves girl. Definitely a fairy tale in that sense.

AND I HAD NO IDEA THAT LOUIS THE CHEF IS PLAYED BY ODO IN STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE!!!!!!
    Yep, that song would invariably come up during Q&A at Star Trek conventions and he usually obliged us with a brief encore. But yeah, no one made the connection (at least I didn't) 'til years later when he was hip-deep in Star Trek for a while. I saw Mermaid recently too. It's a charmer. It'll be interesting to see how it looks when it's eventually released on Blu-ray.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    Yep, that song would invariably come up during Q&A at Star Trek conventions and he usually obliged us with a brief encore. But yeah, no one made the connection (at least I didn't) 'til years later when he was hip-deep in Star Trek for a while. I saw Mermaid recently too. It's a charmer. It'll be interesting to see how it looks when it's eventually released on Blu-ray.
    Yah, I just never made the name connection because Odo's voice is so gruff and Louis so.... french. Good job, Rene!

• Circle of Ancients

Batman (1989) - I popped this Blu-ray Disc in after it was mentioned amongst Burton's good/bad films in the Alice in Wonderland thread. I'm a long time comic book read and Batman fan, so even after the awesomeness of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, Batman still entertains. Jack is just a joy to watch. The gothic tone works fine. And Danny Elfman's score soars. I actually LOL when his score pumped up dramatically when we see the Batmobile for the first time, way to sell it! Ironically I have some issues with Batman Returns. As inspired as it was, it clashed with some silly comic book notions I grew up with (Damn shiny costume, Bats! ). Plus I've always thought that movie should be called Catwoman; her story arc was the best.
    I'm also not the biggest fan of Batman Returns, but I don't mind Batman Forever (go figure).

My biggest issue with Batman Returns is The Penguin. He was my favorite villain from the comic books and from the old campy TV show, but he's my least favorite Villain in the movie.

• Disneyland PAP

I'm also not the biggest fan of Batman Returns, but I don't mind Batman Forever (go figure).

My biggest issue with Batman Returns is The Penguin. He was my favorite villain from the comic books and from the old campy TV show, but he's my least favorite Villain in the movie.
    Yep. I appreciate Burton and DeVito's creativity, but their take on the Penguin just struck a sour tone with me too.

• Infinitized!

Batman (1989) - I popped this Blu-ray Disc in after it was mentioned amongst Burton's good/bad films in the Alice in Wonderland thread. I'm a long time comic book read and Batman fan, so even after the awesomeness of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, Batman still entertains. Jack is just a joy to watch.
    In case you run into Jack, make sure you give him the right picture to sign...

• Circle of Ancients

^ LMAO!!!!

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

^^ That shot of Jack is priceless

Just popped in Get Smart. Very funny movie. Big Steve Carell fan, but Alan Arkin stole very scene he was in.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Disneyland PAP

^^^ Hands down, that is The Best Picture of the Year, Barbossa! Awesome! LMAO!!! Thx!

• Goofy

lol. why so serious jack?