Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: 'Star Trek' sequel 5/17/2013

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Great news. The Re-Boot was great and totally breathed new life into the franchise. You should watch it Pengy.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    This is a totally different direction then those TV series and I can't encourage you enough to check out the last film. It reminds me much more of ST:II then the later films or TV shows. It's fresh, it has a good story, sets up a whole new universe for the franchise, and its a good balance of effects. There are a ton of tips and throwbacks laid all throughout the film that makes it fun for fans of the old stuff too.

I can not stress enough.. GO SEE THAT FILM. It's that good.
    Well I guess with that kind of encouragement I pretty much have to give it a chance!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• will-o-the-whip

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    ^The problem with carrying on in that time period is that its been done. So I'd think they'd be cautious of going down that route. Sure they could look into the Titan series (but I'd hope not, that's too daft for words for me).
    I don't understand what you mean by "it's been done." Do you mean in further novels set after the TV shows? I haven't read the books (only watched the shows and movies), and I think that's true for most potential viewers. They could set a new series 10 or 20 years into the future after Voy ended, and that way have a new crew, new perspectice, and new universe, while still allowing for guest appearances by old characters and referring/using the rich history and timeline of Trek. They need to get away from the past and look to the future again, that's what the whole boldly going thing is all about.

• Tomorrow's Child

^Well I meant that we've had 3 shows based in that time period. I think that's why they tried to move away from it with Enterprise.

Irrespective of when they set it, they've got to make a show that's people will tune in week in and week out, which is easier said than done.

Despite the wave of popularity that Star Trek created, it looks like they're taking a cautious approach, which is why we've got to wait until '13 for Star Trek 2. That and, I'm guessing, no decent pitches for new series.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• will-o-the-whip

^Well I meant that we've had 3 shows based in that time period. I think that's why they tried to move away from it with Enterprise.
    Voy didn't take place in the same quadrant of the galaxy as the other Treks so I didn't really see it as truly contemporaneous (there were not the same aliens and characters as from TNG and DS9).

Irrespective of when they set it, they've got to make a show that's people will tune in week in and week out, which is easier said than done.
    Looking at what has and hasn't worked, it seems that having a crew on a starship Enterprise exploring the galaxy seems to work. It didn't work in the show named Enterprise for a number of reasons, but a big one is that the audience didn't want to go backward in time for an entire series. Also the powers that be kept walking away from what Trek is about, that is a crew that does not have forced conflict to drive narrative. Voy tried to set this up between the Federation and Maquis crews (and then the writers basically ignored the conflict) and on Enterprise between the Earth crew and the Vulcans. For a TV series, getting back to the basics would bring back and interest the greatest audience.

Despite the wave of popularity that Star Trek created, it looks like they're taking a cautious approach, which is why we've got to wait until '13 for Star Trek 2. That and, I'm guessing, no decent pitches for new series.
    Back in the 90s, Star Trek was Paramount's bread and butter for profit, especially when their other films and TV series failed. It could be again if they got back to the basics in a new TV show.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Stinker Bell View Post
    I so totally loved Star Trek the prequel. And am very much looking forward to seeing it's sequel.
    A sequel to Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey Jr. is slated for release in the US on the 16th of December of this year. I loved it's original, as I love the lead actors too. Especially RD Jr.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1515091/
    The sequel should prove rto be full of more riveting action and intense suspense than the first. I just saw the second Shirlock Holm's. It's a nail biter to the end. Downy is a brilliant actor that makes the screen come alive. He can project tragic victimization, aganizing pain, witty humor, and touching sensitivity seperately, and all at the same time. Having overcome considerable personal problems a few years back, it is evident that Downey doesn't even need a suit of iron to be the iconic super hero that he is.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    It looks like this will be a sequel to the prequel, with the cast from that movie. So many of the original actors are either dead or.... old, so they are going back in time to the early days of the Enterprise for their stories.

I personally will be glad when the 3D craze is over. I don't like to watch movies in 3D. When you ware glasses, its hard to put the 3D ones over your regular glasses and get a good view. And as much as I am a big Trekkie fan, I never saw the most recent installment of the franchise, and not sure if I'll see this one. It took me forever to warm up to TNG, and I enjoyed DS9, but any of the shows after that... eh... not so much. I'd like to see another TNG movie, but again.... actors move on, get older and I don't think anyone else could ever be Data as convincingly as Bret Spiner. But as a Trekkie, I appreciate the studio trying to keep the franchise alive.
    Next Star Trec a sequel to a prequel. That's hilarious! It took me a while to get used to and accept the Next Generation show and ector ensemble too. But, I did. I like Picard almost as much as Kirk, and Data every bit as much as Spock. Grordy, Troy and the doc are very cool.

All of that said, the new Abrams cast is far easier to get used to and like than TNG. JJ's first ST film is a must see.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Well I guess with that kind of encouragement I pretty much have to give it a chance!
    I add my encouragement into the "beam Pengy on board" club. It will be well worth manipulating the 3D glasses over your own when the sequel to the prequel hits the theaters.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Principal photography started on the “Trek” sequel on Thursday. That day, by email, Lindelof answered a question I had asked him about the pressure and possibilities of this next voyage. His response was funny and revealing: “I have had the good fortune to once again step upon the Enterprise bridge, surrounded by the primary colors worn by, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest casts ever assembled. Every single person involved with this movie has the same ambition — to do everything they can to justify the long wait … to live up to the lofty expectations of 40-year ‘Trek’ fans and those who are coming to the party for the first time. The energy is crackling. The warp core is primed. And we are, at long last, ready to boldly go once again. I hope to God we don’t screw it up.”
    ‘Star Trek’ sequel: A cosmic cast reunion on the Sony lot | Hero Complex – movies, comics, fanboy fare – latimes.com
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12