Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' 12/2011

"Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol"
    bucks the downturn,
    doing strong business in IMAX sneaks in advance of its Dec. 21 launch.

Last year, Disney's Tron Legacy opened on the same weekend to $44 million after grossing $17.5 million on Friday.
    One bright spot at the Friday box office was the limited launch of Paramount's Tom Cruise starrer Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, which opened in 425 IMAX and large-format screens, grossing an estimated $4.7 million for a projected $12 million weekend (The $4.6 million includes $1.1 million in Thursday evening and midnight runs). The pic opens nationwide on Dec. 21.

Anecdotal evidence suggests a big draw for Ghost Protocol is an extended preview of Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises, a Warner Bros. pic (there's a separte teaser of Dark Knight Rises attached to Sherlock).

Ghost Protocol came in No. 3 on Friday.

http://micechat.com/forums/movies/15...12-2011-a.html

---------- Post added 12-18-2011 at 05:31 PM ----------

Another bright note to the weekend: Paramount's Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol grossed $13.6 million from limited IMAX sneaks in advance of its Dec. 21 nationwide debut. Coming in No. 3 behind Sherlock and Alvin, Ghost Protocol played in 425 locations for a massive per screen average of $32,000. A big draw was an extended preview of Warner Bros.' The Dark Knight Rises.

Overseas, Paramount opened Ghost Protocol in 36 markets, where it launched to a stellar $68.2 milllion.

Ghost Protocol played on 300 IMAX screens--earning $11 million--and 125 on large-format screens. Overseas, Ghost Protocol eanred an additional $3 million from 85 IMAX loations for a total $14 million, the best December opening on record for IMAX. Skydance co-financed the tentpole with Paramount.

"It feels like we are in strong shape," said Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore, adding that fans do indeed love the movie, along with critics. Ghost Protocol currently has a 95 percent ranking on RottenTomatoes.com.
    Box Office Report: 'Sherlock,' 'Alvin' Off to Grinch-Like Start as Film Biz Frets - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' 12/2011

The giant screen exhibitor posted its best December opening box office with the Tom Cruise-starrer
    in its theaters ahead of a
    December 21 wide theatrical roll-out.

TORONTO – This could bode well for Imax Corp.’s Hollywood studio pre-release strategy.

The giant screen exhibitor on Tuesday said it pulled in around $14 million worldwide from the early release of Paramount Pictures’ Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol during its opening weekend.

Domestically, the Tom Cruise-starrer generated $10.5 million on 300 Imax screens, for a per-screen average of $35,000.

The international take of $3.4 million came on 89 IMAX screens, with a per-screen average of $38,200.

Imax said Mission: Impossible 4 surpassed the previous December opening box office record set by Tron: Legacy.

Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol is set to open on another 112 Imax screens overseas, including in China and Britain.

Imax has spoken of becoming a preferred early release window for studio pictures if the pre-release of Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol from December 16 succeeded.

Imax showed the actioner on its super-sized screens five days before a wide theatrical release on December 21.
    'Mission: Impossible 4' Pulls in $14 Million Worldwide From Early Imax Release - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Box Office Report: 'Mission: Impossible 4' a Blockbuster
    Paramount's Tom Cruise starrer Mission: Impossible--Ghost Protocol ruled the Christmas box office with a four-day holiday gross of $46.2 million, bringing it's worldwide total to a stellar $218.6 million in just over a week in release.

The film, the fourth in the espionage franchise, has now taken in $78.6 million domestically and $140 million overseas. At those levels, Ghost Protocol has a shot at earning $200 million in North America and $400 million overseas -- easily a franchise best and eclipsing the $546.4 million earned by Mission: Impossible II.

Co-financed by Skydance Productions, Ghost Protocol cost $145 million to produce and was directed by Brad Bird in his first live-action pic (he's previously only done animation). The film received an A- CinemaScore, with 65 percent of the audience over the age of 25. Males made up 61 percent of those buying tickets.

Ghost Protocol's success is a boost for Cruise, whose star status had been tarnished in North America. It's also a boost for IMAX, where the movie debuted in sneaks on Dec. 16. IMAX theaters account for roughly 30 percent of the film's domestic gross.
    Box Office Report: Spielberg's 'War Horse' Gallops Out of Gate, 'Mission: Impossible 4' a Blockbuster - The Hollywood Reporter

• Iron-Clad Allie

I'm not surprised that Ghost Protocol is strongly outdistancing potential hard times setbacks. the film is complex and full of heart. Never thought I would see an MI team as a rected set of rag tag outsiders. Anything that may have been considered cardboard before is fully demensional now. Every person on the team was full of flaws and doubts, but rose to the challenge through cooperation and trust....even though the trust had to be proved at times.

The action, effects, and special weaponry made the adventure one wild ride....with some extreme hilarious moments from time to time.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm not surprised that Ghost Protocol is strongly outdistancing potential hard times setbacks. the film is complex and full of heart. Never thought I would see an MI team as a rected set of rag tag outsiders. Anything that may have been considered cardboard before is fully demensional now. Every person on the team was full of flaws and doubts, but rose to the challenge through cooperation and trust....even though the trust had to be proved at times.

The action, effects, and special weaponry made the adventure one wild ride....with some extreme hilarious moments from time to time.
    Agreed. I went with the kids and they enjoyed it, too. I've seen the first one (once in theater, countless times on TV), but skipped 2 and 3. I liked the opening credits, which were a meta-homage to the original series showing scenes from the film, same as the series showed scenes in the upcoming episode (not sure if they've done this with all the films). The fuse was quite cool. Brad Bird's retina-scan was all over this film. My only qualm is that the chase scene in the sandstorm was way longer than necessary, since we know the guy was going to get away. We only needed to get that one bit of information.
    Oh, and people jumping out of a car at 80mph, regardless of their tuck-and-roll abilities, generally die. (Or at least have their clothes and skin ripped off of them.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Agreed. I went with the kids and they enjoyed it, too. I've seen the first one (once in theater, countless times on TV), but skipped 2 and 3. I liked the opening credits, which were a meta-homage to the original series showing scenes from the film, same as the series showed scenes in the upcoming episode (not sure if they've done this with all the films). The fuse was quite cool. Brad Bird's retina-scan was all over this film. My only qualm is that the chase scene in the sandstorm was way longer than necessary, since we know the guy was going to get away. We only needed to get that one bit of information.
    Oh, and people jumping out of a car at 80mph, regardless of their tuck-and-roll abilities, generally die. (Or at least have their clothes and skin ripped off of them.)
    Good point regauding the bodily exodus from speeding cars. The directors of action films always seem to make actors super human when it comes to surviving falls at any speed or height. They would have been torn to shreds here.

The suction device scyscraper climb was way cool and full of suspense. I worried that Hunt was going to end up plummiting. The fuse and opening music blended with scene changes was sweet....as was the retina scan. Glad that you and your family enjoyed the film a lot too, sediment. Hope that another film is made that features the same team.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Rock Star Minion

Thanks. Yeah, I think this team is better than the "one member (or more) will turn on the rest" trope, like the first MI -- in that case it was all but one.

Which reminds me, I would like to have more Ving Rhames.
    "You actually said that? 'Mission accomplished'?"
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• My prices are INSANE!

After seeing the great job Brad Bird did on this film, are you excited about the 1906 film he's been trying to make for the last couple of years?
    I hope he get's the chance to make it.

If you haven't heard about it here's a link that explains what the film is about. 1906 (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Which reminds me, I would like to have more Ving Rhames.
    "You actually said that? 'Mission accomplished'?"
    I like that they put Ving in there for a cameo, that they didn't totally leave him out.

I also like the team's tech breakdowns:
    Spoiler
    first the message didn't self destruct right away and needed a pounding, and then their mask-making CNC machine broke down while it was painting the mask.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Box Office Report:
    'M:I 4' Nears $350 Mil

Paramount's Tom Cruise-starrer Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol continued to tower over the competition as moviegoers rang in 2012, grossing $31.3 million for the three-day New Year's weekend for a domestic total of $134.2 million.

Paramount estimates that Ghost Protocol, directed by Brad Bird, will earn another $8.7 million on Monday--a national holiday--for a projected domestic cume of $142.9 million. Overseas, the tentpole has sailed past the $200 million mark, although final figures for the weekend won't be available until Monday. All in, Ghost Protocol will likely earn $600 million globally, a franchise best.
    Box Office Report: 'M:I 4' Nears $350 Mil; Steven Spielberg's 'War Horse' Gets New Year's Eve Boost - The Hollywood Reporter

• Shifting cargo

I really enjoyed Ghost Protocol. To be honest, when I heard that Josh Holloway was set to be in it and then I saw a preview for it with him falling off a rood whilst firing rounds, I was sold. It was greatly saddening that he was barely in it at all (although I knew that going into it), but the movie overall was solid. It had just enough of everything. I've always enjoyed the M:I movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post

I also like the team's tech breakdowns:
    Spoiler
    first the message didn't self destruct right away and needed a pounding, and then their mask-making CNC machine broke down while it was painting the mask.
    I love how this movie has some goofs unlike a Bond film. I find it more believable and interesting that way.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Paramountís Mission: Impossible Ė Ghost Protocol, which has grossed $320 million since opening on the foreign circuit on Dec. 14, drew $16.8 million on the weekend from 5,847 venues in 58 territories.

The action sequel starring Tom Cruise remains No. 1 in Japan in its fifth market round ($2.6 million from 344 situations for a cume of $57.3 million) and No. 2 in South Korea (via C.J. Entertainment) with $2.9 million posted there at 402 locations for a five-week market total of $45 million. It ranked No. 2 overall on the weekend. A China opening is due later this month.
    Foreign Box Office: 'Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows' Still No. 1 Overseas - The Hollywood Reporter

• Launch sequence engaged

Quote Originally Posted by RedHandedJill View Post
    I really enjoyed Ghost Protocol. To be honest, when I heard that Josh Holloway was set to be in it and then I saw a preview for it with him falling off a rood whilst firing rounds, I was sold. It was greatly saddening that he was barely in it at all (although I knew that going into it), but the movie overall was solid. It had just enough of everything. I've always enjoyed the M:I movies.

I love how this movie has some goofs unlike a Bond film. I find it more believable and interesting that way.
    Add me to the list of wishing Josh Holloway had more of a presence in this one, he was superb as Agent Hanaway. It's a testament to his ability that they include him in the beginning of the film, before you even get a glimpse of Tom Cruise. I hope to see him in some more roles!

I also liked the tech breakdowns and the amount of times Ethan's acrobatic jumps ended up with him hitting a ledge HARD or not making a graceful landing. There are always superhuman feats in these movies, but I tend to overlook them.

Who else got a kick out of that Russian choir singing when Cruise and Pegg were walking to the Kremlin? Giacchino is a jack of all trades with his scores!
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Box Office Report:
    Tom Cruise's 'M:I 4' Hits $571 Mil,
    Franchise Best

Paramount's Mission: Impossible--Ghost Protocol has become the top grossing film in the Tom Cruise franchise, zooming past the $546 million earned by Mission: Impossible II to hit $571 million at the worldwide box office.

The film--restoring Cruise's star status in the U.S.--secured the record over the weekend as it earned $25 million internationally for a foreign cume of $369 million and $3.6 million domestically for a North American total of $202.6 million.
    Brad Bird, in his live-action feature debut, directed Ghost Protocol from a script by Josh Appelbaum and Andre Nemec. Cruise and J.J. Abrams produced with Bryan Burk.

"Brad Bird, Tom Cruise, J.J. Abrams and the entire team who worked on Mission: Impossible--Ghost Protocol created an incredibly entertaining film, one that fans worldwide embraced in record numbers," Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore said.

Ghost Protocol opened exclusively in IMAX theaters on Dec. 16 before expanding nationwide on Dec. 21.
    Box Office Report: Tom Cruise's 'M:I 4' Hits $571 Mil, Franchise Best - The Hollywood Reporter

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Elsewhere on the international front, Paramount's "Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol" grossed the most, posting a weekend take of $25.8 million from 64 markets. That includes China, where "Mission" has cumed a stellar $55.7 million.
    "Ghost Protocol" cruised past the $400 million mark internationally for a worldwide tally of $627.5 million, making it Tom Cruise's biggest global grosser ever ("War of the Worlds" posted $591.7 million).
    'Chronicle' edges out 'Woman' at B.O. - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast