• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'The Iron Giant' Cast & Crew screening 3/9

THE IRON GIANT - Charity Screening

Los Angeles Animation Festival
    REGENT SHOWCASE THEATER
    Los Angeles, CA

The all-time classic THE IRON GIANT comes to the big screen for one very big, very special celebration. All ticket sales go to charity.

Cast & crew reunion – featuring dir. BRAD BIRD (schedule permitting) and a panel hosted by well-known Animation Director Tom Sito including, (as of press time), Brad Booker – animator, Steve Markowski – storyboard, Mark Whiting – production designer, Eddie Rosas – animator, Alan Bodner – art director and Tad Gielow – computer engineer. With actor CHRISTOPHER MCDONALD (voice of the very nasty Kent Mansley). More names TBA

tickets $10 at:
    THE IRON GIANT - Charity Screening

"If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: 'The Iron Giant' Cast & Crew screening 3/9

OMG OMG OMG OMG

i wanna go.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Moderator

I have an extra ticket for this if anyone is interested. PM me.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

So wish I could go, but stuck w/ a dinner in O.C. Hope you can get some great pix & have an excellent time!

Brad Bird is attending tonight according to his twitter message. Hopefully Shane Prigmore will make it too, he singlehandedly sent the I.G. 10th anniversary event over the top!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator

Thanks! I was able to find someone to go with. She's never seen it but has always wanted to so it works out!

• MiceChat Moderator

March 9th was another gorgeous day in Southern California. And at this particular theater, The Iron Giant, one of my favorite movies was playing on the big screen.

But that's not all... many of the crew including director Brad Bird and some cast were also present. The voice of Kent Mansley, Christopher McDonald was there to say a few words before the screening but was unable to stay for the panel afterwards. The voice of Hogarth, now completely grown up, went up to speak about how proud he is of the film and how its themes are still poignant even today. "It's a prayer for peace and I hope we can watch the film tonight with that in mind" he said.

the film... just as amazing as it always has been. I still get emotional at the same exact spots. My friend whom I brought... had owned the DVD for 10 years but it remained shrinkwrapped. This screening finally popped that Iron Giant cherry and she loved it.

Following the film, Tom Sito (animator who worked on Osmosis Jones, Masters of the Universe, Pocahontas, several others) moderated the panel and brought a number of panelists up. Since they never really said who was going to be there, I can't put faces to names here.

We did learn that Joe Johnston (director of Rocketeer and Captain America, and designer of Star Wars most popular Bounty Hunter Boba Fett came up with the initial designs for the giant. He did 8-10 original sketches that inspired the art team to get down to the nitty gritty and make a workable robot. Joe Johnston did that as a favor to Brad since he loved the older time period design style, but couldn't work on it further because he was directing October Sky.

Director Brad Bird tells the audience of the original pitch to studio executives who liked the idea of "what if a gun had a soul and didn't want to be a gun?"

In that original pitch, a note-taker took down many notes and a screenwriter was hired to turn the notes into a screenplay, behind Brad Bird's back. But Brad is a smart guy and already had his story patented prior to his pitch. Screen Story credit goes only to Brad Bird.

Another fun tidbit is between him and the original author of the book, who gets a credit as "consultant". Brad never was able to meet him because Tom Holmes was feeling ill, but they had many phone conversations about the changes which the author liked and gave his blessing. He never lived to see the finished product.

Eli and Brad Bird joke about their recording sessions and they fondly remember how Eli had to run laps around the Warner Bros lot before recording to get him sounding tired. Or dipping his feet in ice cold water to get the chatter when he was cold.

More conversations involved the CG robot and design, storyboards, and color script. Brad also talked briefly about working with Michael Kamen to score the film and how he was great to hang out with. Brad also tells a story about how CalArts was about ready to cancel the hand-drawn animation program. Ed Catmull of Pixar came down there and said "are you crazy?! hand drawn animation can be applied to every type of animation there is!" And because Ed was a computer guy, they listened to him.

An audience member asks Brad if he would direct a hand drawn animated film again. Brad replied saying he would like to, because there's a quality that just can't be replicated. There isn't enough hand drawn animation out there so he would like to do another one eventually.

And with that, the night was ended. Eli (hogarth) signed my poster)

As did Brad (stupid glossy poster, the silver sharpie wasn't doing too well)

And this one as well..