Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Oscars

• Infinitized!

2012 Oscars

Get ready for a 4 hour marathon of acceptance speeches.

So, what are your Oscar predictions for this evening?
    (unfortunately I can't watch as I don't have cable right now, so, got to look up the results online)

As for best picture, they say "The Artist" is a shoe-in for this category, however, it seems that it hasn't played on many screens around here and hasn't received much attention. My preference is for Hugo. A very unique movie.

As for the other catagories, not sure. Kinda all bland this year, although I would like to see fellow Canuck Christopher Plummer win.

• Sock Puppet

Re: 2012 Oscars

Kinda disappointing run this year... absolutely no Disney or Pixar movie in the run for best animated picture. A first for a while...Hopefully next year will be better...but I'm rooting for Harry Potter because it deserves it.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am watching. Unfortunately, I don't see many movies, but I do enjoy the Awards show. Billy Crystal always makes me smile.

• Infinitized!

Even though it didn't win best picture, Hugo was great and I'm picking it up on Tuesday on Blu-ray.

• Cars Land Rocks!

I was expecting either Hugo or The Artist to win best picture. As it was, both won a lot of awards. I saw both films at the theater, and as I watched them I knew the Academy would love them. Both films dealing with the early days of film making.

On Saturday the Oscar nominated film editors talked about their work on a panel at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. Here is a photo I took that includes Oscar winners Agnus Wall, A.C.E., and Kirk Baxter, A.C.E, (pictured second and third from left). They edited The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I've watched every Oscars but this was the first time I was absolutely hating it. What a boring production from start to finish. Billy Crystal had this self-satisfied smirk after every terrible joke.

What was wrong with it? they kept trying to remind us of why we love the movies. Well duh, if we're watching the Oscars... we KNOW why we love the movies!

And there's only two song nominations and we can't even get a performance or medley? Not even for best score? They waste so much time with bad jokes and montages but we can't honor the people who are actually nominated??

It was so bad that I was so relieved when cymbals went crashing.

I really wish Eddie Murphy didn't turn down hosting duties. It would have been a better show.

As for the winners... I was really rooting for Hugo and Rango. The Artist... meh.

---------- Post added 02-26-2012 at 10:52 PM ----------

Oh and the In Memoriam was terrible. There was no time to even pay respects to them it was going so fast. And who makes a better sound bite or audio byte? It seemed to be rather unfair for a lot of those artists and didn't get their proper respects. We used to see what film titles the non-actors worked on... this year, it was just a mess.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• keh!

i agree that all the "why we love movies" bits were unnecessary and just wasted time. i didn't care for that at all.

i think best pic should have gone to Hugo. The Artist is overrated, it was just okay. it didn't wow me like Hugo did.

and congrats to Rango, it definitely deserved best animated pic.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I agree that it was a boring and awkward show. Nothing was funny - just really, really awkward. I also missed the song performances. Last year I remember Florence sang beautifully, as did Zachary Levi and Mandy Moore. Those types of moments are what people watch the Oscars for. Aside from Meryl Streep, the acceptance speeches were a snooze fest as well.

I enjoyed the memoriam and cirque. That was about it.

I hated Rango and was really disappointed to see it win. I still think it should have gone to Rio (which was snubbed).

• Circle of Ancients

^ I also didn't care for Rango, but honestly, what else that was nominated would have won? I'm still disappointed Winnie the Pooh got snubbed.

As for the show, I agree with what most everybody else has said. It was very boring and Billy just didn't do it for me, even his opening montage of putting himself in films seemed very forced.

As for the awards, no real surprises except maybe the guy from The Artist winning best actor. I still think it's sad that Gary Oldman has never won an Oscar, and the fact he's only been nominated once. That's just wrong!!

My personal favorite movie from last year (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) didn't even get a best picture nomination. I thought the Artist was good, so I was ok with that winning. Looking forward to seeing Hugo though.

• MiceChat Moderator

Jean winning best actor was certainly not a surprise. Not to me anyway. The only surprises were all the Hugo wins for me, which I was happy about.

Oh and Meryl vs Viola was constantly going in my mind. Didn't know how that was going to end up.

• Infinitized!

I think the best part was Kim Jong-Il's appearance on the red carpet...

• Banned User

BORRRRRING. The only categories that are interesting are Best Picture, Actor, Actress, Supportings, Director and Best animated. Who cares about the rest? I saw The Artist the other night from a screener. It was absolutely fantastic... to put me to sleep. I can't believe that won Best Picture. People tell me it's better if you see it in the theater. I know why. Because you're stuck and can't get up and do something else. It was difficult to just sit there and watch. I ended up falling asleep.

Oh, and like Meryl Streep needed another Oscar? Did anybody even see her movie? But of course Viola Davis wouldn't win. They already gave a black actress an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. They can't give two Oscars in the same night for the same year to black actresses.
    Last edited by grrandram; 03-01-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: remembered something

• Circle of Ancients

Anybody catch the Jimmy Kimmel after Oscar special? Can we get him to host next year!!!

• Senior Minion

Patrick Goldstein's piece in the L.A. Times sorta says it all...

The 84th Academy Awards really looked their age on Sunday night. The painfully cobwebby spectacle included a cringe-inducing blackface joke, a tribute to an elderly seat filler and endless self-absorbed claptrap about the magic of movies. After a dreary 6-month-long awards season largely revolving around movies about movies, why did Oscar organizers feel the need to hammer away at the idea that they love — I mean really love — their movies?

Probably because there's growing evidence that the rest of us don't really love the same movies they do. With one exception, “The Help,” the academy's nine best picture nominees didn't make much of an impression in Middle America. “The Artist” won best picture but hasn't hit box-office pay dirt outside of the urban chattering classes. Having struggled to make $32 million, “The Artist” is on track to be the second-lowest grossing best picture winner in the past 35 years....

....The Oscar team clearly realized its top films didn’t have much juice with mainstream America. Which begs the question: If the Academy really wanted to connect with a broader audience, why didn’t it organize a “Harry Potter” tribute, spotlighting the beloved actors who helped make the series such an immensely popular box-office mainstay?

In the long run, the show isn't even the academy's biggest problem. In recent years, the organization has lost a sense of focus about what kind of institution it wants to be. For years, we've suspected that the academy's aging membership was about as connected to today's turbulent pop culture as the Council on Foreign Relations. This month, The Times published a study that found that the academy's voting membership is nearly 94% white and 77% male. Oscar voters have a median age of 62, with just 14% of voting members being under 50....
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    BORRRRRING. The only categories that are interesting are Best Picture, Actor, Actress, Supportings, Director and Best animated. Who cares about the rest? I saw The Artist the other night from a screener. It was absolutely fantastic... to put me to sleep. I can't believe that won Best Picture. People tell me it's better if you see it in the theater. I know why. Because you're stuck and can't get up and do something else. It was difficult to just sit there and watch. I ended up falling asleep.

Oh, and like Meryl Streep needed another Oscar? Did anybody even see her movie? But of course Viola Davis wouldn't win. They already gave a black actress an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. They can't give two Oscars in the same night for the same year to black actresses.

I care about the rest.

The Academy also doesn't care what makes the most money. If they did, we'd have Transformers: Dark of the Moon win Best Picture. The Artist was not my vote, but I understand why they chose it. It was a risky, experimental challenge to do a modern film with "silent movie" techniques and make it interesting enough (not for everyone). If you think about it, it's a story that is so simple, it could not be told with sound or audible dialogue... but that is also its crutch and why I didn't think it deserved Best Picture.

Most times, when two actresses are nominated for the same movie in both Acting categories, if they're similar roles, one will win, the other will not. That has statistically been the case for ages. And Meryl Streep doesn't "need" another Oscar but we can never deny that she's great whatever she does. This isn't a vote for picture... it's a vote for the acting.

I'm not defending the Academy because they do need a change up. But certain things just don't bother me anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast