• Senior Minion

Re: Skip the commercials, we cancel shows...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    Does anyone really watch commercials any more?
    Nope. God bless TiVo!

From the article that Jayce linked to:

Disney: Skip our commercials, we cancel shows.

CEO Robert Iger says using DVRs to jump ads hurts revenue and threatens the company's ability to fund 'Dancing with the Stars' and other popular programs.

Disney chairman and CEO Robert Iger spoke with FOX Business Network this week about a new technology from Dish Network (DISH -0.07%) called Auto Hop, which has a commercial-skipping feature.

The short of it was that if viewers don’t want to watch commercials, then Disney won’t be able to bankroll some of its biggest shows -- including the smash hit "Dancing with the Stars."
    Really, Bob? Disney's swimming in profits, and you're crying poor because people fast-forward through your commercials?

You claim you won't be able to afford to produce "Dancing with the Stars?" Really?

Then cancel it.

Double-dare ya.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-24-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I don't watch commercials.

But my Sister's family does (they don't have a DVR). There's probably millions like her.

• Banned User

Why is this in the Disneyland forum?

Good point!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Nope. God bless TiVo!

From the article that Jayce linked to:

Really, Bob? Disney's swimming in cash, and you're crying poor because people fast-forward through your commercials?

You claim you won't be able to afford to produce "Dancing with the Stars?" Then cancel it.

Double-dare ya.

Commercials pay for the show, no commercials, no show. Pretty simple.

My guess is in the future we will start to see print advertising across the bottom of the screen similar to what the news networks do while the show is on and more obvious product placements in the shows. In the end the companies have to find alternate ways to fund the shows if revenue from commercials is dropping.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Make good ads...and I'll watch them....Disney makes some good ads...Six Flags used to have funny ones. But in general commercials that suck make me want to buy the product less.

Also, if you watch the programs WHEN they are being aired you can't really skip commercials unless you stop the show..then fast forward 5 mins later

I think Iger is a bit out of touch here. Perhaps it doesn't matter if he's planning on leaving in 2015. He only has 2 more upfront presentations to worry about.

Yes, DVR use initially sent advertisers reeling. As of today, 43% of all households have DVRs. One of the initial responses by both networks and advertisers was product placement. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it becomes a plot point (Subway moving into Greendale on Community), sometimes it's embraced and over-the-top to have fun with it (see Subway on Chuck or IMO Disneyland on ABC shows).

Now, though, I think research has advertisers thinking differently. Some of them actually prefer DVR viewing because viewers are statistically more attentive as they have chosen a time where they can focus better. In those cases, sometimes they don't skip over commercials. Others are okay with it because if you make the commercial correctly, some of the message will still get through.

Those of us that have On Demand, when networks put shows up (I watched one episode of NBC's Awake in *gasp* standard definition because of a Lakers game I couldn't record everything) they can set it to where you cannot fast forward--you must watch the commercial. If networks were better at getting shows on demand timely, orderly, and in HD, then they could probably convince many people to just do it that way instead of worrying about recording it.

Thursday used to be the day networks could charge the most, but with time shifting, advertisers will now pay big for Wednesday, knowing that 3-day shifting will also get them Thur, Fri, and Sat, so the weekend spenders (movies, restaurants, theme parks, etc.) get more coverage.

What Iger also isn't taking into account is that reality shows are MUCH less likely to be viewed via DVR. These shows are the new water cooler shows. You need to know what happened because everyone else at work is going to be talking about. And that brings me to my prediction: network TV will eventually be only reality television. It's cheaper to produce, gets huge ratings, and people watch the commercials.

Scripted shows will move exclusively to cable, the internet, and on demand.

E! probably ranks in the catergory of too long commericals(4 minutes long). Networks want money to pay for revenue. If they can't they get become bankrupt. It is NOT a good thing when advertisers pull ads for shows. That means lack of profit.

• keh!

go ahead and cancel Dancing with the Stars. that show is awful.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    go ahead and cancel Dancing with the Stars. that show is awful.
    Bingo. Little Bobby and his networks buddies are whining like somebody gave them a group wedgie. Kiss it goodbye, dinosaurs -- way to rock Dish!

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    My guess is in the future we will start to see print advertising across the bottom of the screen similar to what the news networks do while the show is on and more obvious product placements in the shows.
    And as soon as they do, the electronic gurus will mass produce chips to block them -- and consumers will buy them.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Hey Bob, how about if I don't watch your shows, and watch something else instead? Or what if I don't even turn on my TV? What then? You gonna cancel shows then?

K, do it. Better yet, get out of the entertainment business altogether, why don'tcha? Go be CEO for Dunkin Donuts or something. Whiner.

• Goofy

commercials suck.

• Rock Star Minion

TV networks should simply convert everything to a PPV format or monthly premium service, and provide content without commercials. See how many people pay to watch the shows. As an alternative, the networks can show those shows for free six months later on their free channels. None of these companies wants to be the first, well, not counting the current premium TV networks.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."