Prometheus (Mice Chat Reviews!) Contains spoilers!

Just got home from the midnight showing of Prometheus. Really enjoyed it.

I have a feeling that those who aren't huge fans of the original quadrilogy are going to be a little confused about how this all leads to Alien.

If you weren't following along in the movie. The Prometheus landed on LV 223. While the Nostromo from Alien landed on LV 426. So nothing that really happened in Prometheus affected the Alien franchise, except for Weyland industries becoming involved.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Prometheus (Mice Chat Reviews!) Contains spoilers!

I saw it at midnight too and thought it was a well done sci-fi thriller. It's a little weird and I still have tons more questions but I liked it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

What are your questions about?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    What are your questions about?

The Engineers (the albino people in the movie). If we came from them, why do they want to kill us? Were we an accident and they are only trying to fix the issue? But where do the alien creatures fit in to all of it?

Just a lot of questions.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    The Engineers (the albino people in the movie). If we came from them, why do they want to kill us? Were we an accident and they are only trying to fix the issue? But where do the alien creatures fit in to all of it?
    One of the characters says something to the effect that to create new life, you tear it down and start all over. The character may have been theorizing, I can't remember exactly, but that thought was put across in the film. It was pretty shocking that that albino Engineer is not too subtle when it comes to killing us!

My friends and I think the aliens were the Engineers' doomsday weapon to use on their mission to destroy life, but they lost control of some of them assumedly. But one of my questions is if we assume there were other ships inside the other domes, did the rest of the fleet also succumb by the same means? Or were they all empty, perhaps already dispatched to other spots around the moon? Or is it possible one of those other ships was the one the Nostromo encountered?

I enjoyed that we could be seeing one or two more films after this. I'm hooked. I also commented to one of my friends as the end credits were rolling that this is how Episode I should've been handled, and he agreed.
    Last edited by Gone2Disneyland; 06-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

Just a lot of questions.
    The scene at the beginning was originally extended but was cut. Originally, there were 2 engineers on Earth, and the one we see die tells the other to leave. The one who kills himself releases his DNA into the water, as seen in the movie, which evolves into humans. This engineer was not supposed to do that.

We were simply an accident, or something only the one who killed himself planned. That is why they wanted to destroy us, we were simply an accident.

• Disneyland PAP

Here's a link a friend sent me. Quite interesting theories and arguments for his points! Spoiler-filled so perfect for this thread.

Prometheus Unbound: What The Movie Was Actually About

This blogpost contains many and frequent spoilers for Prometheus, so if you're planning on seeing it, I recommend you don't spoil yourself.

Prometheus contains such a huge amount of mythic resonance that it effectively obscures a more conventional plot. I'd like to draw your attention to the use of motifs and callbacks in the film that not only enrich it, but offer possible hints as to what was going on in otherwise confusing scenes.

Let's begin with the eponymous titan himself, Prometheus. He was a wise and benevolent entity who created mankind in the first place, forming the first humans from clay. The Gods were more or less okay with that, until Prometheus gave them fire. This was a big no-no, as fire was supposed to be the exclusive property of the Gods. As punishment, Prometheus was chained to a rock and condemned to have his liver ripped out and eaten every day by an eagle. (His liver magically grew back, in case you were wondering.)

Fix that image in your mind, please: the giver of life, with his abdomen torn open. We'll be coming back to it many times in the course of this article.
    Full article at:
    cavalorn: Prometheus Unbound: What The Movie Was Actually About

• My prices are INSANE!

Hmmm, I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed by the film.
    But, I still loved it.

Overall it's a fun and entertaining film to watch.
    But little things bugged me through out the film.

One of my main issues was with the main character.
    She had the operation and had the alien removed from her stomach and got stapled up.
    But I found it hard to believe that she could do all she did at the end of the film without popping a few staples from her stomach. And not just the occasional, "I'm going to grab my stomach and make noises to remind the audience I'm injured" stuff. I was also a bit disappointed at how easily the android was knocked out. "Opps, he got his head ripped off. Oh well."
    So much for that character. LOL
    Because I really liked the way the film developed David's character at the beginning of the film.

I had other issues but it seems pointless to get into it to much.

The film did have all the classic story elements from the first 2 Alien films. I couldn't figure out if Ridley was paying an homage to the first series or just didn't have any fresh ideas?

I also found that a lot of the characters were semi-flat. I like to call them death count characters. Just have them wear red shirts to make it easier. LOL

As far as positives, the production design was absolutely fantastic.
    The film looked great. The 3-D was not really a big thing with this film and there were only two or three moments when the 3-D effects really were amazing. The star chart scene being one of them.
    I love classic films and was giddy when they had David watching a clip of Lawrence of Arabia.

The whole issue with the Engineers and the creation of man is something that won't be resolved until a sequel is made to explain it more. And this film definitely felt like it was setting up for a series.

I have to admit, it felt nice to be able to go back and have another visit with an Alien themed film and taking it in a whole different direction. If a sequel is done, it will be interesting to see where this story goes.

So, overall I liked it. Not quite as good as Alien or Aliens, but still better than 3 and 4 by a long shot.
    Last edited by Crazy Larry; 06-12-2012 at 06:57 AM.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/