View Poll Results: How Many Stars Do You Give Henry Cavill's New Superman Look?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars ***** For The Most Incredible Looking Superman Suit Ever

3 42.86%
  • 4 Stars: **** Pretty Fly For a Super Guy

1 14.29%
  • 3 Stars: *** Fresh New Look

1 14.29%
  • 2 Stars ** For Being Taylored and Pretty Darn Neat

0 0%
  • 1 Star: * I Think I Like It Well Enuff

0 0%
  • Other Rating

0 0%
  • You've Got To Be Kidding. Forget It. This Superman Looks More Like A Steel Magnilia

2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.

• Iron-Clad Allie

How Does Henry Cavill's New "Man Of Steel" Suit Grab You? Change Is In The Air.

OMG! Oh My Kripton! Yes!

The color tone, fabric, and tight fit are all changing for the upcoming Man of Steel flick. On the one hand, I'm already missing the traditional suit. Oh well, Henry Cavill is definitelly put together right, and that new suit has him looking pretty fly for a super guy, I think I can make an exception for this steely hot hero!

Take A Look At The Various Screen Renditions Of Superman
    Henry Cavill Proves That The Man OF Steel Is An Exciting, Handsome Work In Progress

Lois Lane (Amy Adams) Is Featured Here Giving Her Cape-tivated Look Of Approval

OMG! Oh My Kripton! Yes! Yes! Yes!... Up! Up! And Away!

To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• -

Re: How Does Henry Cavill's New "Man Of Steel" Suit Grab You? Change Is In The Air.

It's different, I'll say that. I really hate when they mess with the source material. Christopher Reeves had the closest to the comic book version of the suit and I wish they would go back to that look.
    Last edited by calsig31; 07-24-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Ravenclaw

Re: How Does Henry Cavill's New "Man Of Steel" Suit Grab You? Change Is In The Air.

the mesh suits have been popular as of late. The Amazing Spider-Man, Catwoman, and Batman all seem to have them as a base layer.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

I like the red shorts in the last picture better than the all blue suit. I think the textures are interesting. I dug the Bryan Singer version of the costume, which also had heavy texturing like some sort of canvas or plasticized muslin.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I'm more worried about the movie......since the story is by Nolan who while makes good films.....many times changes the characters from the comics to the big screen....and the director of 300 and Watchmen which I found as mindless action films....

I hope its good but I don't know

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It's different, I'll say that. I really hate when they mess with the source material. Christoper Reeves had the closest to the comic book version of the suit and I wish they would go back to that look.
    For ome reason, Reeves and his suit made the fantasy seem reel. While I really like Cavill's mesh-like suit, it does appear a bit "circus" based on the stills. Hopefully, he and his suit will create awesome new imagery in the upcoming 2013 film. We'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    the mesh suits have been popular as of late. The Amazing Spider-Man, Catwoman, and Batman all seem to have them as a base layer.
    Wasn't particularly impressed with the shiny plastic Spdey outfit. The previous one made me feel like it was "a part of him", while the current suit is quite obviously an external costume, like one could buy in a store.

When the Maguire Spiderman became wounded, his suit would rip along with it. The new suit stays looking pristine regardless of how torn up Parker becomes underneath.

Batman looked pretty much the same as the ast flick to me. But Hathaway/Catwoman....ooh la prrrrfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    I like the red shorts in the last picture better than the all blue suit. I think the textures are interesting. I dug the Bryan Singer version of the costume, which also had heavy texturing like some sort of canvas or plasticized muslin.
    Yeah. the red shorts keep the Man of Steel better defined as Superman, instead of a whole new character of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I'm more worried about the movie......since the story is by Nolan who while makes good films.....many times changes the characters from the comics to the big screen....and the director of 300 and Watchmen which I found as mindless action films....

I hope its good but I don't know
    The previous films gave one a depth of heart from the trailers forward. The new trailer is dark, the dialogue kind of "iffy" as to whether we're talking about a hero, and at the end, it looks like Superman got shot out of a canon. Allthough my first impression is a confused one, I'm hoping for an incredible flick all the way around.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-24-2012 at 10:31 PM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^dark does not equal good

What made something like the Dark Knight good is its a fun ride....Joker is as always a fun villain, who is unpredictable, funny and just someone most people like watching on screen.

The same goes for Avangers...look how much to made...is it dark? No, people want films that take them away and with comic book movies kinda get silly....I mean these are just guys in capes flying around the idea is a little fun...don't take the fun from what was always made to be books ment to please everyone not just adults

• Infinitized!

At least Schumacher didn't touch this franchise and give Supes big rubber nipples.

• Disneyland PAP

What made something like the Dark Knight good is its a fun ride....Joker is as always a fun villain, who is unpredictable, funny and just someone most people like watching on screen.

The same goes for Avangers...look how much to made...is it dark? No, people want films that take them away and with comic book movies kinda get silly....I mean these are just guys in capes flying around the idea is a little fun...don't take the fun from what was always made to be books ment to please everyone not just adults
    Sorry, but wrong!

I think you completely miss the fact that comic book movies, like Star Trek movies, Harry Potter movies, Twilight movies, Silence of the Lambs, etc. - any movies based on a material that's already successful in another medium and thus garnered a population of fans - will need to carefully balance pleasing existing fans as well as draw fans who have not already read or seen the source material in order to make the studios wallets very happy. And some properties like Harry Potter and Batman lean towards dark themes in their original material.

Now, specific to films based on comic books, I say as reader of a varied range of comic book material in the over 30 years of my 40-something years of life, you cannot definitively state comic books are "always made to be books ment to please everyone not just adults". As evidence, I present the films Road to Perdition, V for Vendetta, From Hell, Ghost World, and A History of Violence, all well received films that many non-comic book reading audiences likely didn't know were based on comic books or their adult-sounding nom de plumb, graphic novels.

I do agree with you that "dark does not equal good" as an absolute rule. But as an old fart who doesn't always like his super-heroes being messed with, I do recognize Hollywood's POV that going "dark" or "edgy" is a consideration they need to consider in order to cater to broader audiences.

Back OT, I voted 4. Richard Donner and Christopher Reeve gave us what needed to happen, a 100% copy from comic page to movie screen realization of the Superman suit. It was The Film that taught Hollywood and movie audiences that it was okay to play comic book characters straight and not dumbed down only for little ones. And that suit ranks as 5. The latest version by Zack Snyder and Henry Cavill is one I've sort of lived with for a year now. I saw the first still when it was released a year ago, and then DC Comics restarted their entire line of comic books, resulting in Superman also getting a costume makeover. And guess what? The new and current suit in the comic books no longer has red trunks either!

Name:  Jim-Lee-Superman.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  243.2 KB

I've been reading Superman comic books for a year now, so whatever shock issues I had with the new suit design in the books I've gotten over. And the same goes with the movie version of the suit.
    Last edited by Gone2Disneyland; 07-24-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added links

• Iron-Clad Allie

Personally, I don't care for superhero films that are completely dark or completely humorous. A healthy balance between the two is far more entertaining; and presents a more intriguing suspence of reality.

In The Dark Knight flicks, the Joker and Catwoman are more whimsical, while Bane is bad to the bone...or is it Bone is bad to the bane?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    At least Schumacher didn't touch this franchise and give Supes big rubber nipples.
    Yeah boy! Supes and the Bst just keep getting suits that better define their physical attributes. I wonder which would win if they competed in a muscle buiding contest pose down.

Let's take a moment to visualize Ironman in a new skin-tight spandex suit. No, perish the thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    Sorry, but wrong!

I think you completely miss the fact that comic book movies, like Star Trek movies, Harry Potter movies, Twilight movies, Silence of the Lambs, etc. - any movies based on a material that's already successful in another medium and thus garnered a population of fans - will need to carefully balance pleasing existing fans as well as draw fans who have not already read or seen the source material in order to make the studios wallets very happy. And some properties like Harry Potter and Batman lean towards dark themes in their original material.

Now, specific to films based on comic books, I say as reader of a varied range of comic book material in the over 30 years of my 40-something years of life, you cannot definitively state comic books are "always made to be books ment to please everyone not just adults". As evidence, I present the films Road to Perdition, V for Vendetta, From Hell, Ghost World, and A History of Violence, all well received films that many non-comic book reading audiences likely didn't know were based on comic books or their adult-sounding nom de plumb, graphic novels.

I do agree with you that "dark does not equal good" as an absolute rule. But as an old fart who doesn't always like his super-heroes being messed with, I do recognize Hollywood's POV that going "dark" or "edgy" is a consideration they need to consider in order to cater to broader audiences.

Back OT, I voted 4. Richard Donner and Christopher Reeve gave us what needed to happen, a 100% copy from comic page to movie screen realization of the Superman suit. It was The Film that taught Hollywood and movie audiences that it was okay to play comic book characters straight and not dumbed down only for little ones. And that suit ranks as 5. The latest version by Zack Snyder and Henry Cavill is one I've sort of lived with for a year now. I saw the first still when it was released a year ago, and then DC Comics restarted their entire line of comic books, resulting in Superman also getting a costume makeover. And guess what? The new and current suit in the comic books no longer has red trunks either!

I've been reading Superman comic books for a year now, so whatever shock issues I had with the new suit design in the books I've gotten over. And the same goes with the movie version of the suit.
    A superhero film that smartly engages wide appeal/greater profits is one that achives an comples blend of the snister, the comples human condition, and the outright whimsical.

Thank you for the awesome new Justice League pic; featuring Superman minus the re shorts. Not sure whether I prefer the red shorts or not. Time marches forward.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    Sorry, but wrong!

And I give you the...Avengers one of the top grossing films EVER...and it will beat the Dark Knight and Potter...WHY?

It's fun and pleases comic fans...yeah it might not get nominated as best film of the year because its not as "dark" or "smart" as batman but it was liked for how funny it was and how it pleased almost all fan boys and non fanboys alike

Superman should go for more of a "Thor" type movie where yes there is drama but still be funny...I just see the trailer and think...my god..there trying to make this into Dark Knight of Watchmen when they need to make it more like Young Justice which while having some adult plots is also funny and filled with references for fans

• Iron-Clad Allie

And I give you the...Avengers one of the top grossing films EVER...and it will beat the Dark Knight and Potter...WHY?

It's fun and pleases comic fans...yeah it might not get nominated as best film of the year because its not as "dark" or "smart" as batman but it was liked for how funny it was and how it pleased almost all fan boys and non fanboys alike

Superman should go for more of a "Thor" type movie where yes there is drama but still be funny...I just see the trailer and think...my god..there trying to make this into Dark Knight of Watchmen when they need to make it more like Young Justice which while having some adult plots is also funny and filled with references for fans
    The ultimate genuine comradory of the Avengers team makes the film a directors cut above the rest, born ot of both dire conflict and sarcastic humor...to wit. Extra applause becuse they accomplished it all without spandex.

• -

I think the need to put an asterisk next to Batman's opening weekend numbers in light of the shooting. The extra security added afterward as well as the uneasiness caused by the attack may have kept a lot of theater goers home that weekend.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^I'm sure...some people did not go...but also consider how the new Batman's are very much for adults only....Avangers is for everyone

I'd only take my kids if he was older then ten to Batman...its 3 hours and more about Nolans story then Batman fighting people

• Iron-Clad Allie

^I'm sure...some people did not go...but also consider how the new Batman's are very much for adults only....Avangers is for everyone

I'd only take my kids if he was older then ten to Batman...its 3 hours and more about Nolans story then Batman fighting people
    The intensity of Batman (and the mere fact it was 3 hrs long) was more adult oriiented. Other than that, i feel that the film was perfectly suited for kids. The likability of Batman/Bruce Lane made the audience feel shock and sadness when Bane broke his back. But, there's plenty of rough scenes in westerns, comedies, and varous action films that are kid friendly.

Dark Knight even showed the relationship between Batman and Catwoman turn from conflict to a budding friendship and crime fighting partnership. This type friendship-building also took place in The Avengers.. The Avengers was more fun, while Dark Knight Rises more thought provoking. both films are highly positive where good guys overcoming all odds in defeating evil is concerned.