Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Heavy Breather

Favorite non-Disney animated film.

We all know that Disney has created some of the greatest animated classics of all time. My personal favorites being Fantasia, Pinnochio, and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. But what is the best animated film not made by Disney? In my opinion it has to be "The Secret of N.I.M.N.". This film treats its audience seriously and provides a great moral about the dangers of science, and courage of the heart. Made by Disney rebeller Don Bluth, the film was a huge critical success, critics praising it for its story, characters and animation. Although fared well by critics, it was overshadowed at the box office by other films released the summer of 82'. Most notably, E.T. For me, the film is a timeless classic, and better than even some of Disneys work. It has probably the greatest female protagonist in any movie. She's not eye candy, she's not a cocky smart alec, she's just a mother trying to save her children and goes on a big adventure to gain aid. This is probably my second favorite animate film of all time behind Fantasia. If you have a favorite non-Disney animated film, whether it be Don Bluth, Dreamworks, or Studio Ghibli. Please share.

Regards, LordVader

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Re: Favorite non-Disney animated film.

My favorite non-Disney animated film would have to be Fleischer's Gulliver's Travels (1939): a now forgotten classic with some wonderful songs. One of the characters, Gabby, was voiced by Pinto Colvig who was also the voice of Goofy.

Fleischer certainly had a big influence on Disney and his early work. The Fleischer films were beautiful and well executed.

My personal favorite is How to Train Your Dragon, because I am a huge fan of the Chris Sanders aesthetic. I wish he had been allowed to finish Bolt, because it would have been a very different movie with a big heart. And Stitch is at the center of my favorite modern-era Disney universe. Chris knows how to tell a complex, emotionally rich story and I hope to work with him someday.

Don Bluth characters, though well "animated", suffer from weird and nonsensical character design. It's a frog - with pink hair and nipples!

Whatthe!?!@?

I count his time at Disney Animation as one of the very lowest points in their history. When he went to Fox Animation (for those ten minutes), I knew the enterprise was doomed.

• -

I think may favorite non-Disney animated movies would have to be Transformers the Movie (loved the soundtrack) and Green Lantern First Flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    My personal favorite is How to Train Your Dragon
    I am also a huge fan of this and am looking forward to the sequel.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I'm a pretty big fan of An American Tail. I still have a little Fivel figure from when I was a kid.
    Learn How To Lose Weight While Still Eating All Your Favorite Disney Foods! --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• Shablagoo!

Something by Studio Ghibli. My favorite varies depending upon my mood.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Man so many from How to Train Your Dragon, to Shrek to Rango and many of the animated Batman Movies are top notch

Any animated movie that had or will have these guys....

Name:  minions.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  8.1 KB
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

One of the best non-disney animated film I ever saw has to be Shrek of course, I enjoyed that film ever since I was young.
    "I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something, than educate people and hope they were entertained" - Walt Disney

• Goofy

shrek and rango

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 03:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Lightyear View Post
    I'm a pretty big fan of An American Tail. I still have a little Fivel figure from when I was a kid.
    i also like the song somewhere out there that one is a good one too

I liked "Ferngully the Last Rainforest."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

The Secret of N.I.M.N 4 sure

• keh!

Spirited Away.

Absolutely no contest. Spirited Away is the best animated film I have ever seen. It's such a masterpiece and I've never seen a film so beautiful. It's not only my favorite non-Disney animated film, but my favorite animated film period. I prefer it over The Lion King and anything Pixar has released. And I love Pixar, lol.

• Disneyland PAP

I don't know if claymation counts, but Wallace & Gromit in The Wrong Trousers would be my favorite non-Disney animated film. I never warmed up to Shrek, sorta liked Shrek 2, and I seem to be in the minority for thinking How To Train Your Dragon wasn't all that. I enjoyed Kung Fu Panda more.

If I had to pick a hand-drawn animated film, I think I'd choose Akira. Not only is it an amazing film and story, but it's just so far away from something Disney would do that I'd consider that distinction greater than choosing a Bluth film that's too similar to Disney animated fare.

I love the prince of Egypt and Anastasia! Both have beautiful songs and animation that is classy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast