Thumbs down Disney hates Machine Head

For the third time in a row, the corporate powers behind Walt Disney Properties have once again pressured promoter Live Nation into canceling Machine Head's performance at a House of Blues venue on Disney property, this time the December 4th show in Orlando, FL.

While no one is willing to provide evidence that would prove unfavorable to Disney, sources close to events have suggested that Machine Head remains on a "banned list", and while Dethklok, All That Remains and Black Dahlia Murder will still be allowed to play, the corporate powers at Disney have refused to allow Machine Head to perform.

In 2007, Walt Disney Properties banned Machine Head from the House Of Blues venues in both Anaheim and Orlando, citing "violent imagery", "inflammatory lyrics" and most appallingly "undesirable fans" as the reason. The diversity-impaired corporation began pressuring the promoter with vague threats of liability and reduced job security before placing Machine Head under an internal "review process". Five days later, Walt Disney Properties would convey their alarming decision to the band, less than 48 hours before the first date of 2007's anti-war, anti-religion, anti-conservative-themed "The Blackening" album headline run at the House Of Blues in Anaheim, CA.

A stunned Machine Head announced the details and disgust regarding the situation and let fans know of the then-rescheduled show 70 miles away at The Glass House in Pomona. In retaliation for that public announcement, Disney cancelled the band's then-upcoming performance at the House Of Blues in Orlando, citing the same absurd reasons, though they would only publicly state that they had "changed musical formats" at the venue.

Machine Head wish to once again extend their gratitude to Live Nation and the House Of Blues for their poise and tolerance throughout these ridiculous developments, unbelievably transpiring here in these United States Of America in this year 2012.

As they are not on Disney property and therefore not subject to the corporation's alleged coercionary tactics, the current dates with Dethklok, All That Remains and The Black Dahlia Murder at the Dallas and Houston House Of Blues will go on as scheduled. Unfortunately, Machine Headís Florida performance will not be rescheduled in an effort to avoid creating any conflict with the existing dates on the tour.
    I guess I'm considered an undesirable fan. What makes this more disturbingly personal is bands like the Black Dahlia Murder, Whitechapel, and Slayer, have all played on Disney properties and their lyrics/imagery are far more brutal than Machine Head. I wonder what they did to piss off the Mouse so bad...

Re: Disney hates Machine Head

Its does seem odd. I could even understand them just not wanting heavy metal on the property since it would need to be "Family Friendly", but to pick on a certain group who doesnt seem to have any worse music then the rest is questionable.

•   

I see it different. Disney was trying to be nice and let a few metal bands in rather than saying a flat "no" to all; maybe "give an inch" is a good description. Then some band comes along that just seems to go a bit too far so they say no. Then fans ( and the author of this article ) complain that because Disney gave an inch in the past, they should give a foot this time. I would commend Disney on allowing a certain amount of something, but then drawing a line and taking a stance at some point.

Fans could see this as "Well, at least Brendon Small's band got to play here" but instead our culture of entitlement seems to make people think "Hey, I didn't get my way because someone drew a line somewhere and then stuck to it." Come on guys, go see Machine Head somewhere else.

You seem like a civilized guy ( and your avatar's pretty funny ) but I've been to a lot of concerts for bands I liked and noticed that I was nothing like the core of people that were attracted to the place. Egos and testosterone get going and next thing you know the place is friggen' Thunderdome. They don't need that at Disney property.

...and yes, Downtown Disney counts. A few years back me and some friends went to a comic convention at the Anaheim convention center. we were dressed as you see me in my Avatar and driving our replica of the Ecto. We decided to go to House of Blues for lunch ( because, total Dan Aykroyd tie-in, right? ) but only made it on foot to the bridge going over West Street before Disney security asked us to leave. So close... So close... But I understood the explanation they gave which was that we were dressed as licensed characters, people would expect that we were paid entertainers, it's attracting attention in a disruptive way and you know, they were right. We did the responsible thing, turned around, went back to the car and ate somewhere else.

We didn't blog about it, we didn't write someone and ask that they do an article about the "outrage" that is Disney security, we didn't whine about it and try to drum up support, we just saw it from their point of view ( and it made sense ) so we left. Maybe it's because we're responsible adults? Too many out there can't get past the idea of "But I WANT something! What do you mean I can't have it?! I'll gripe about it online until I get my way!"

No thanks.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post

We didn't blog about it, we didn't write someone and ask that they do an article about the "outrage" that is Disney security, we didn't whine about it and try to drum up support, we just saw it from their point of view ( and it made sense ) so we left. Maybe it's because we're responsible adults? Too many out there can't get past the idea of "But I WANT something! What do you mean I can't have it?! I'll gripe about it online until I get my way!"

No thanks.
    The OP doesn't seem to be griping about it. Just wondering why Disney has banned Machine Head. And I agree...allowing Dethklok, All That Remains, and Black Dahlia Murder to still play seems strange. (I was almost crushed the last time I saw All That Remains) Then again, I found it odd when I saw that they were even scheduled to play on Disney Property.

I agree that I must be an undesirable fan. I didn't plan on seeing them there anyway, they will be here in Nov and I am going then! Glad they decided to move it to Pomona instead of just not letting Machine Head play that night.

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• Parking Lot > DCA

It sounds to me like there was something else going on other than lyrics, and fans that made this happen. Like you all have said, it's strange they only have the shackles on one group.

For instance, I have seen Bad Religion play at HOB Anaheim more than once, and their "imagery" is literally a cross with a line through it. The crowd that comes to a Bad Religion show is still almost as intense as it would have been seeing them in the 70's and 80's. People are getting ruined in the pit. Now, I am not trying to compare the two bands but Bad Religion sends out a pretty strong message and they make sure it's known, and they are allowed to play at HOB Anaheim. I feel like something deeper had to happen to make them exclude one band from a lineup.

•   

@ XxBellaThornxX

No, I fully understand. I wasn't saying that they did this. I was saying it would have been an option for people in my position and we simply didn't. I see a lot of issues today where someone doesn't like the outcome so they begin an online campaign of complaining and drumming up supporters to lobby some cause, etc. It's just not my style, that's all.

A part of me is still surprised that Disney has a ride themed for Aerosmith.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    @ XxBellaThornxX

A part of me is still surprised that Disney has a ride themed for Aerosmith.
    Fun fact: Steve Tyler throws up the 'shocker' sign in the pre-ride video.