Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: Lincoln - An Absolute Masterpiece!

Just some food for thought while everyone is tripping over themselves in their love for Lincoln (the man, not the film, which unsurprisingly omits this element of the man's character):

"I am not, nor have I ever been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social of political equality of the white and black races [applause]...I am not, nor have I ever been in favor of making voters or jurors out of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people... there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race." - Abraham Lincoln, Debate with Stephen Douglas, Sept. 18, 1858, in Abraham Lincoln: Speeches and Writings, 1832-1858 (New York: Library of America, 1989), pp. 636-637.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Just some food for thought while everyone is tripping over themselves in their love for Lincoln (the man, not the film, which unsurprisingly omits this element of the man's character):

"I am not, nor have I ever been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social of political equality of the white and black races [applause]...I am not, nor have I ever been in favor of making voters or jurors out of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people... there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race." - Abraham Lincoln, Debate with Stephen Douglas, Sept. 18, 1858, in Abraham Lincoln: Speeches and Writings, 1832-1858 (New York: Library of America, 1989), pp. 636-637.
    I've always had issue with the praise heaped on Lincoln because he really was not the mythic man who gets praised.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Retrocool,

Go on studying and you will find many other quotes reflecting Lincoln's belief's that all men are created equal...that slavery should be abolished forever...etc. Pay particular attention to his actions during the Civil War... There is good reason that he became one of, if not the, most beloved President our country has ever known.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I just saw this comment on a Yahoo Article about Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln and how Oscar worthy his performance is:

"Daniel Day-Lewis deserves an Oscar just for breathing."

Very true but it made me giggle....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12