Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Lincoln - An Absolute Masterpiece!

Howdy Pards,

Well, I reckon I came along 85 years after the Civil War ended...I was born on Abraham Lincoln's birthday. So, most of my life I've been a bit of a historian I suppose. I've studied the Civil War, visited several of the battlefields, Lincoln's hometown of Springfield, Illinois, his birthplace, his final resting place, and, of course, Washington D.C.. I've read several biographies of Lincoln including Carl Sandburg's multi-volume masterpiece...The Prairie Years and The War Years. So...my ears sorta perked up some when I heard that there was a new movie about Lincoln...a movie in wide release today...November 16th, 2012.

So, this morning I went to see it. Within just a couple minutes of the film's beginning, it was clear that this film was something incredibly special. For one thing Daniel Day-Lewis...his performance was...well probably the finest thing I've ever seen on the big screen... It seemed that he wasn't just an actor playing a part...it seemed that he had actually become Abraham Lincoln. Every little detail. It was like I had stepped into a time machine and gone back in time to 1865. And the supporting actors were equally amazing...very real.

Make no mistake, Stephen Spielberg has just released an absolute masterpiece in every sense of the word.

It's a history lesson...real, honest, true. A lesson that left me with a brand new respect for our sixteenth president...and...well...to be honest...a warm, refreshed, and renewed feeling of patriotic pride in this ol' country of ours.

No words that I could possibly say would be sufficient to express my love of this...not a movie...an experience. Two and a half hours with the REAL Abraham Lincoln...

And, from the bottom of my heart, thank you Mr. Spielberg for this wonderful gift to your country and to the world. Thank you to all involved in this project...and God Bless you all.

And God Bless the memory of that self-taught lawyer from the prairie who saved our Union...and ended slavery before God called him home. "Now he belongs to the ages." Go see this film.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 11-16-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: Lincoln - An Absolute Masterpiece!

I really want to see this but rarely find time to get to a movie that isn't G rated being that my son is with me 24/7. I've read that this movie is only suitable for 13+.

Were there alot of gory war scenes? I would absolutly LOVE to take my son, who is 8 1/2, to see it as he is named after our 16th president, but am afraid for adult content. I'm thinking there is more carnage through war scenes than sexually explicit stuff. And I don't know that my son will sit 2+ hours through something that isn't Disney anyway. But he has a fascination with the very famous President he is named after so he may sit through it.

Alas, I may have to wait until I catch this on Video On Demand or DVD in 6 or so months

Howdy Clara,

As anyone who has seen Great Moments With Mister Lincoln knows...the Civil War was bitter, violent, and devastating. There are scenes of war...violent battle...there are scenes of
    Lincoln and some soldiers riding through a very realistic battlefield. There is a scene at a Civil War Hospital...legs and arms being thrown into a pit out back... And, there is some language...

But, this movie is primarily about the struggle to get the 13th Amendment passed before the end of the Civil War...to end slavery forever. It is primarily about politics. And some of the politicians during the Civil War had ideas that were a product of the times. This film is very real in that regard.

Still, as an 8 year old boy, I would have appreciated the opportunity to see it...to actually spend time with the Real Abraham Lincoln...to get a deeper understanding of our Country's real History...

You may want to go see it yourself first...or read the comments of others about it...but, at the very least you should go see it. It will leave you with a brand new level of respect for the man and the challenges he faced.

Walt Disney would have probably done some editing to get a G rating...Stephen did not...reality during the Civil War was not G rated...

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

One moment in time I found particularly moving was when Lincoln was setting on a porch with General Grant at the end of the war discussing reconstruction.

Lincoln's philosophy was expressed with pure, simple, eloquent wisdom: "With malice toward none, with charity for all, let us strive to bind up the nation's wounds..."

"Do we choose to be born, or are we fitted for the times we are born in?"

It is an experience to be studied...to be savored... My gosh...go see this movie.

Wild Ol' Dan

• Musical Fireman

I'm going to see this movie and I want to see it fast!!!!!! Most others in my school and my family joke that I was not meant for this time. The American Civil War is my all time favorite subject in 19th century history and just from the trailer is a true Abraham Lincoln movie and easily surpasses "vampire (more like zombie) slayer" which I consider an insult to the man who kept our nation together and solidified that all people are free, though we still had a long road to finally reach that Lincoln started the way.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Howdy Pards,

Think about it. If you were given the opportunity to travel back in time and spend two and a half hours with the 16th President of the United States, the real Abraham Lincoln, would you?

Go. Go see this movie.

Wild Ol' Dan

• Heavy Breather

I have always been a fan of Steven Speilberg. So seeing this movie is a top priority for me. Hopefully I will have the pleasure of viewing it this Thanksgiving holiday.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I really want to see this but rarely find time to get to a movie that isn't G rated being that my son is with me 24/7. I've read that this movie is only suitable for 13+.

Were there alot of gory war scenes? I would absolutly LOVE to take my son, who is 8 1/2, to see it as he is named after our 16th president, but am afraid for adult content. I'm thinking there is more carnage through war scenes than sexually explicit stuff. And I don't know that my son will sit 2+ hours through something that isn't Disney anyway. But he has a fascination with the very famous President he is named after so he may sit through it.

Alas, I may have to wait until I catch this on Video On Demand or DVD in 6 or so months
    Both Touchstone and Dreamworks were involved in this movie, so it actually could be considered a Disney movie.

Howdy Pards,

I have stood in absolute awe inside the Lincoln Memorial. I've stood in absolute awe inside Lincoln's home in Springfield. I stood inside the office where he practiced law, I've walked the streets of New Salem, Illinois, I've stood at his birthplace, I have stood at the exact spot in Gettysburg where he delivered his famous address...I have stood in absolute awe at America's Shrine of Democracy, Mount Rushmore, I've been in Ford's Theater in Washington,D.C. and the house across the street, and I have stood at his tomb in Springfield....

All these things probably contributed to my deep and sincere appreciation for this wonderful new motion picture masterpiece. If you have seen this film, please share your thoughts with us on this thread.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 11-17-2012 at 06:40 PM.

• ~

I was ecstatic when I first heard about this film several years ago in my AP US History class. Learning about Abraham Lincoln was one of my favorite parts of APUSH, along with the Lewis and Clark Expidition. Everything about him fascinated me. And a Spielberg film starring Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln? I had a good feeling about this.

I probably won't be able to see it until after Thanksgiving weekend, but your posts are a genuine delight to read and are really increasing my exictement about the film.

Howdy Pards,

With 155 reviews counted, according to Rotten Tomatoes, 90% of all critics, and 95% of top critics, have rated Stephen Spielberg's Lincoln Fresh. As you've probably figured out from readin' this here thread I sorta agree with 'em. Go see it, and let us know what you think.

Wild Ol' Dan

• Minion

Over the past 3 days, I've seen this film twice. It's truly remarkable and left me itching for more, so I went back to see it.

Daniel Day-Lewis is Lincoln, unquestionably. It's an absolutely incredible movie and I love how they are able to dive into all aspects of Lincoln's character and faces. The scene where he is in the telegraph office with the 2 telegraphy boys and the scene where he and Mary are arguing are both so powerful, but powerful in very different ways and they both show different sides of Lincoln's personality.

It's definitely toward the top of my list of favorite movies. Go see it.

I wasn't going to see it....now I want to.
    For the love of Disney....

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Both Touchstone and Dreamworks were involved in this movie, so it actually could be considered a Disney movie.
    I meant a Disney movie that is G rated for my son to be able to see. I think that the Civil War scenes may be a bit to much for him. Or he will just lose interest and get antsy pantsy and I'll have to leave in the middle.

Howdy Pards,

Has anyone else seen the movie LINCOLN yet?

Wild Ol' Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast