View Poll Results: What did you think of The Hobbit?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Rings - A Warm Welcome

10 66.67%
  • 4 Rings - My Preciousssssssss

5 33.33%
  • 3 Rings - An Underwhelming Party

0 0%
  • 2 Rings - A lot of Roast Mutton

0 0%
  • 1 Ring - Felt like I was stuck in a barrel

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Quality not quantity

Re: The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey. Who's excited?

Sounds like I might be the exception, but the ONLY reason I'm planning on seeing The Hobbit sooner rather than later is for the 48fps.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Circle of Ancients

Re: The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey. Who's excited?

Who all is planning on going to a midnight show Thursday? I'm taking my kids (14/16) and it's my sons first midnight show. My daughter and I did the last few Potter midnight shows.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (MiceChat Reviews)

Went ahead and added a poll. Only 12 hours left!!!! Can't wait.

• I'm not really here

To those worried about the 48fps, remember, Star Tours is shot in 60fps and Peter Jackson listed that ride as one of his inspirations for filming The Hobbit at the high frame rate. The human eye actually sees at about 60fps, so for decades we've been watching movies at nearly 1/3 our actual ability to see. We've just become accustomed to the jittery, jumpy, kind of blurred motion of motion pictures. So yes, 48fps at 5k resolution (5 times your HD tv), is going to be a bit jarring to some, but what it offers is a window into a real feeling world. My worry, and it sounds like there is some basis for it, is that at such high levels of detail, the special effects can become a little apparent again as well as differences in lighting between indoor sets for outdoors and actual shots in the world. This will just force them to get better at effects again by the next film.

I am super excited and have my seats reserved for Sat at an IMAX 3D HFR showing. I will also be seeing a regular non HFR 2D showing in a couple weeks with family and will be able to compare.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    To those worried about the 48fps, remember, Star Tours is shot in 60fps and Peter Jackson listed that ride as one of his inspirations for filming The Hobbit at the high frame rate. The human eye actually sees at about 60fps, so for decades we've been watching movies at nearly 1/3 our actual ability to see. We've just become accustomed to the jittery, jumpy, kind of blurred motion of motion pictures. So yes, 48fps at 5k resolution (5 times your HD tv), is going to be a bit jarring to some, but what it offers is a window into a real feeling world. My worry, and it sounds like there is some basis for it, is that at such high levels of detail, the special effects can become a little apparent again as well as differences in lighting between indoor sets for outdoors and actual shots in the world. This will just force them to get better at effects again by the next film.
    AHA! That is why I can not ride Star Tours anymore..I get SOOO sick getting off that ride! Especially since it has changed to the 3D. I would get slighty sick before then but now...I'm close to passing out.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    AHA! That is why I can not ride Star Tours anymore..I get SOOO sick getting off that ride! Especially since it has changed to the 3D. I would get slighty sick before then but now...I'm close to passing out.
    Yeah, usually a higher frame rate, closer to reality, makes the 3d smoother and easier to stomach. But not for everyone. For some it magnifies the inner-ear/eye difficulties that lead to 3d making you feel sick. :/

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Circle of Ancients

My Review:

Loved it, Loved it, LOVED IT!!! Maybe even more than any of the previous LOTR movies.

If you are a fan of the books you'll be glad to know that for the most part it's very faithful to the book. I only have 1 or 2 VERY minor quibbles.

Riddles In The Dark is absolutely the way I always pictured it in my mind. I was honestly almost in tears after that scene because it was just so incredibly well done.

Spoilers for book fans ... don't read unless you want to do some "research" before you see the movie:
    Spoiler
    There is some stuff from the ROTK Appendix, namely Appendix A-III (Durin's Folk). It flows with the film great but I was surprised it was there. Since I hadn't read the Appendix for awhile I had to think for a minute, which was hard at about 1am.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I loved it. I just got back from seeing it, and it has the feeling of The LOTR Trilogy which I believe is a good thing. Bilbo is played splendidly by the actor who is portraying him. Gollum is my favorite character, always has been, and those scenes are marvelous. The book is an easy read, and the Movie so far is a feast for the eyes. I was almost in tears a few times all ready.

I want to pop it in and see it again. This movie should make loads and loads of money.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

• Heavy Breather

After finally getting to see it, I must say that it was a marvalous film. The book, being one of my all time favorites, is ripe for adaptation. Peter Jackson didn't pull a Lucas on us with this prequel. It's a fun ride with some new and familiar faces. Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, and Richard Armitage were absolutely spot on with their respective roles. CG is used to a higher degree than in the Rings films, but it's not so much that it detracts any from the experience. I have a few minor complaints- very minor. One is Radagaste the Brown, I thought he was a little out of tune with the rest of the movie and a tad silly- with the bird crap dripping down his hair and all. Another is a strong point and a weak point involving my favorite character-Gollum. I was estatic to say the least when Bilbo found the ring and had his riddle game in the dark with Gollum. It was great to see Andy Serkis return to his trademark role. However that's also my only problem with the movie, we'll never see him again. I know he doesn't show up anywhere else in the book, but it's just a minor complaint.

All in all, The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey is a most welcome one back to Middle Earth. I'm sure it will break numerous box office records and become a likely Oscar contender.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Rather enjoyed it, good pacing, pretty scenery. CGI was a bit much for my taste, but I seem to be in a minority. The end of the visit to the goblin village especially.

But it was a lot of fun and I'm sure a lot of people will see it. I was glad we saw it in 2D; 3D tends to be too gimmicky for my taste.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Banned User

Critics on The Hobbit's High Frame Rate -- Vulture

Seems the whole HFR (High Frame Rate) thing isn't quite as wonderful as was hoped-for, at least for this particular story.

My favorite comment -

"The immediacy of the actors is startling, but the background is weirdly foreshortened, the fakeness of the sets and makeup an endless distraction. Staginess does nothing for a fantasy-film epic ... the grandeur of the Lord of the Rings trilogy having been replaced by something that resembles tatty summer-stock theater." – David Edelstein, New York
    Last edited by Retrocool; 12-17-2012 at 05:31 AM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I disagree about the high frame rate negativity. I think it's just that we're not used to it on the big screen. It was immediately noticeable, even when the logos were flying by. The speed and fluidity of motion took a little getting used to. It did remind me of television, which is higher frame rate. Some scenes did look a little like actors on a set, but I really didn't mind that at all. I thought that everything was much more crisp and clear than ever before. The CGI wasn't nearly as distracting as some have said...it does look like CGI, there's no denying that. However, even that was especially detailed.

One issue that I had with the movie, and I suppose the whole Peter Jackson series, is that there is not enough distinction between races of creatures. I had a hard time telling the difference initially, between the orcs, trolls, and goblins. They all look very similar to me. I wish he had made them more distinct from each other.

I really enjoyed the movie overall though, and I agree that I liked it even better than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I highly recommend seeing the HFR 3D version, just to see the difference. Perhaps all of the negative reactions are just people not used to it...even though as has been said, both TV and current HD video games have higher frame rates.

• mountains beyond mtns.

I enjoyed it as well and thought Martin Freeman was outstanding.

It's been a great many years since I've read the book and was wondering a few things about Thorin Oakenshield. In the film, his characterization and story arc are not unlike those of Aragorn. With regards to the latter, I know Tolkien wasn't anticipating writing LOTR when working on the Hobbit and so that can be attributed to that. However, his similar to Aragorn demeanor - straight from the book or a Peter Jackson product?

At any rate, The Desolation of Smaug can't come soon enough!

• Disneyland PAP

I voted 4 in the poll. I enjoyed The Hobbit, but I think I expected more from it. And I'm not a fan of the books, but someone who really enjoyed the spectacle of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, so yeah, I may have set the bar too high.

I read through all the comments in this thread, and about the HFR 3D, I agree with gurgi that all the negativity is misplaced. I also can't help thinking it's also just reviewers wanting press to feel all high and mighty about themselves. But I really enjoyed the HFR 3D presentation. Like some here, I was really worried that I would get nauseous watching it, because my first time on Star Tours: The Adventure Continues affected me that way. But I was too curious about the technology to miss out on the opportunity, and for a few minutes into it, I did sense some nauseous coming on but it passed and the rest of the time, I had no issues at all. Now I'm thinking that early sense was just psychosomatic!

To my friends, I've likened HFR 3D as a lot like watching it through a View-Master. The colors are super saturated and rich, and the images are sharp and crisp, just like what you see through a View-Master. They're almost surreal at times because they're so vibrant, especially during the daylight outdoor scenes. I don't think I need to see every film in HFR, but certainly genre films like fantasy, superheroes and some action films might benefit from it. And I really didn't get a real 3D effect after the first half hour or so; I think that's just normal for me as my eyes just get used to it and ultimately ignore it.

But back to The Hobbit, I'm looking forward to seeing the other two films. If they ended up have at bit more action to them but have the same high story-telling quality as this one, I'll probably rate them as 5s.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast