• -

Poster and Plot Details for the New Star Trek

Superherohype has the new poster and some plot details for next summer's Star Trek sequel.

The Star Trek Into Darkness Poster is Here! | Superhero Hype
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Infinitized!

Re: Poster and Plot Details for the New Star Trek

The poster looks like it's Dark Knight on Caprica.

• -

I immediately thought of Batman as well.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• will-o-the-whip

This doesn't look good at all... The premise doesn't even sound like it's set in space and the poster screams Batman.
    The upside is if it tanks then Paramount can abandon this alternate timeline and get back to the prime universe with a new TV series. Star Trek is best for episodic television and I look forward to seeing it in that medium again some time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    The poster looks like it's Dark Knight on Caprica.
    lol....very acurate decription! :P
    For the love of Disney....

• -

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    This doesn't look good at all... The premise doesn't even sound like it's set in space and the poster screams Batman.
    The upside is if it tanks then Paramount can abandon this alternate timeline and get back to the prime universe with a new TV series. Star Trek is best for episodic television and I look forward to seeing it in that medium again some time soon.
    Hopefully our expectations will improve when the trailer hits tomorrow, 12/6/12. Judging only from the small plot details in the previous article, I am skeptical.

The Star Trek Into Darkness Trailer Will Arrive Online This Thursday | Superhero Hype

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Good or bad, JJ Abrams' Star Trek has significantly raised the profile of the series in good ways. Before it hit theatres, Enterprise and Nemesis were taking a bullet each for the decline of Trek's popularity. And The Franchise was definitely not as hot as it was during its TNG days. There's been more good than bad said about the new Star Trek film, unless you closet yourself with the hard core Trekkies who ultimately spend as much time criticizing Trek as they do continuing to watch it! LOL For example, I hated Enterprise, but I came back at the start of every season hoping it would get better. It never did imo until Season Four. But I've read online how it has its rabid fans, and I have to respect that.

There's no doubt Star Trek will return to TV, and I look forward to it. But I don't take for granted how JJ's film help gets fans AND non-fans to look forward to it too. But also remember, to see a new Star Trek show on TV does not guarantee that it will be worth seeing either. Be careful what you ask for.

Obviously, I'm not a JJ-verse basher. So I'm loving these days.

P.S. - I went to an extraordinary TOS event this past Monday at the Egyptian Theatre. They screened two remastered episodes of TOS and featured TOS composer Gerald Fried perform some of his themes before the screening and answer questions about working on the show afterwards. It was an extremely satisfying geekfest! I think you can reach my Flickr gallery of pictures by clicking the pic below. And below is also a link to StarTrek.com's recap of the event.

Gerald Fried, Jeff Bond, and David Gerrold by Gone2Disneyland, on Flickr

Star Trek Fans Go Ga-Ga For La-La Records TOS Soundtrack Event

• Disneyland PAP

The new teaser trailer, called the Announcement trailer. A longer trailer will be released online in two weeks.

This Japanese version of the Announcement trailer ends with a different scene.

• will-o-the-whip

I certainly agree that a new Trek TV show could be horrible, but it could also turn out to be quite good. No Trek on TV is exactly that, no chance for a good show. I'm willing to take the chance that it could be bad.

The worst thing that could then happen with a bad show is I simply give up watching it. I gave up on Enterprise after two seasons, and gave up on Voyager after the fourth season. So I'm hardly a Trek fan boy. But when Trek is good, it can be great. Next Generation from seasons 3 to 7 often had superb episodes (even season 2 had some excellent ones like Measure of a Man and ominously introduced the Borg in Q Who). The classic series also had some fantastic episodes. Deep Space Nine could also be excellent.

Trek works best on TV as episodic shows. It's not an action adventure, which is why the TNG movies were lackluster. Picard was never an action hero on the TV show, but they tried to make him one in the movies. That's a fail, and why the movies underwhelmed (even the celebrated First Contact in my opinion). Thoughtful and thought provoking episodes like Darmok and Tapestry don't make for blockbuster movies, but make for great television. Michael Dorn is trying to get a Worf-centered series off the ground where he's the captain of a new ship. Set in the prime universe with guest appearances from previous crew members and characters would be fun and explore the rich tradition and settings already set by previous shows, while, hopefully, telling engaging stories.

As for the new trailer... what happened to the star in Star Trek? It looks like it's set on Earth, and it doesn't even look much like a Trek Earth. The shot of the starship in the fog is awesome but the rest looks rather pat. Another revenge story is hackneyed and trite (are they really going to top Khan?). Sure, I'll still plunk down my $10 to take a look next May, but the trailer didn't make me optimistic. I'm hoping for a new and good Trek television show, and I'll cross my fingers while I wait.

• -

It looks like Carol Marcus is going to be in this as well.

Alice Eve's Star Trek Into Darkness Character Revealed | Superhero Hype

• Circle of Ancients

The more I hear coming out about the new movie the more intrigued I am. I will be there opening weekend regardless but I'm really looking forward to this one.

• Banned User

Another new trailer has been released: