Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Five Movies You Loved As A Kid That Are Actually Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How can Space Jam suck when its website is still online in all of its 1996 glory?
    Space Jam

Oh my.....lol. The screen saver.....my eyes hurt just looking at the thumbnail version.

• Evil is Sexy

Hook is awesome. My husband watched it for the first time a few weeks ago because he never understood the appeal of Peter Pan, so I Peter Pan'd him properly starting with Disney's Peter Pan, Return to Neverland and then Hook. It may technically not be canon, but in a way it makes sense and will always have a place in this Lost Girl heart.
    Space Jam - Never saw.
    Jingle - Never saw.
    An American Tail - never really liked it beyond Dom Delouise.
    Super Mario Bros. - Never saw.

I was mostly a fantasy kid. Neverending Story, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, The Princess Bride, anything Disney made; I even think Flash Gordon is okay for what it is and when it was made. Some of my favorite kid/teen movies are horrible and I know it and I think knew it at the time. But there was something about them that just made me want to enjoy their silly, spoofy, goofy, badness.
    (The Explorers, My Boyfriend's Back, Transylvania 6500, Saturday the 14th, Beetlejuice, Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, and my favorite outlet for dumb movies: USA Up All Night. )
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

My addition......Gremlins

I loved that in the theater three decades ago but it's got no staying power. Crapola!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Bingo! Gremlins II was even WORSE, just re-watched both of these last Christmas.

• Closed Account

Can I list more than 5? LOL Some of the movies I liked as a kid are awful, they leave you wondering what the heck were they thinking!

Howard the Duck, Garbage Pail Kids The Movie, All Dogs Go To Heaven, Fern Gully The Last Rainforest, Nukie, Mac and Me, Babes In Toyland (Drew Barrymore version), Pod People, The Land of Faraway, Rock A Doodle, Baby's Day Out, Space Jam and Kazaam are on my what was I thinking list

Two that spring to mind:

Mannequin - the concept is intriguing to me even at a young age. I hadn't seen it in maybe 10 years, and got a used DVD of it on sale. After one viewing, I wondered how this could have been considered entertaining. The jokes are terrible, and it feels like a light sex comedy.

The Neverending Story - after seeking out Michael Ende's original story, Wolfgang Petersen's film has never been the same. We've heard about films hacked to ribbons because of problems or limitations? That's what the 80's film felt like. Sad that the 'Next Chapter' film attempted to follow the other 50% of Ende's book, but failed miserably (Bastion's corruption would have led to him declaring himself the Emperor of the land, with Atreyu leading an Army against Bastion and his followers...though Ende's leaves the majority of this giant battle summarized in about a page or two, relying on the viewer's imagination to figure out how the battle went).

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Bocabear, we must be about the same generation. Totally agreeing with your movie flop picks. I remember my friend and I totally obsessing about "Sgt. Pepper." I think we saw it 10 to 12 times! Now? Well, I still like some of the versions of the songs, and Steve Martin's performance is classic, but the rest? I have filed it in the "hopelessly silly" file along with patchwork clothes, bellbottoms, and literally ironing your hair on an ironing board to get it super straight.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Heavy Breather

I don't think anybody liked the Super Mario Brothers movie.

(I'm breaking character for a little bit). Believe it or not I actually liked The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones when I was younger, now they are boring and stale attempts at prequels that were probably written by Lucas's children. If they were going to make a prequel it should have just been Revenge of the Sith, with a little fine tuning it could have been a stand-alone prequel to the original trilogy. (Vader Mode Re-engaged).
    Huh?!? What happened?!? Ah never mind....

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I don't think anybody liked the Super Mario Brothers movie.

(I'm breaking character for a little bit). Believe it or not I actually liked The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones when I was younger, now they are boring and stale attempts at prequels that were probably written by Lucas's children. If they were going to make a prequel it should have just been Revenge of the Sith, with a little fine tuning it could have been a stand-alone prequel to the original trilogy. (Vader Mode Re-engaged).
    Huh?!? What happened?!? Ah never mind....
    Yes Lord Vader, I was in love with Phantom of Menace and Attack of the Clones when I was young, however their flaws became evident as I got older. However I do have to say PoM aged better than AotC.

Some films from my youth to add to the list:
    The Master of Disguise
    Thomas and the Magic Railroad
    Star Trek Nemesis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12