Saving Mr. Banks Trailer -- Thoughts?

Hello all, in case you missed it here is the first trailer for 'Saving Mr. Banks'

I'm interested to see people's thoughts about this one. After watching it a couple times I personally feel like this looks like an interesting story with a cast of great actors .... however I think all of the main actors have been horribly miscast in their roles.

First.. Tom Hanks as Walt: There is very little if any resemblance of Walt in Hanks' depiction. Looks wise, he really just looks like Tom Hanks with a moustache. There seems to be no makeup or any attempt to make Tom look even close to Walt, they just told him to grow a 'stache. And for some strange reason Hanks decided to give Walt what sounds like a slight Southern accent. Walt definitely had zero accent to the way he spoke, and if there was any trace of some kind of accent it definitely wasn't a Southern one. And based on the scenes in the trailer, Hanks does not get Walt's persona or playful charm right either.

Second.. Jason Schwartzman and B.J. Novak as the Sherman Brothers: I really have no idea why these two were cast. They themselves look nothing like brothers nor anything like the Sherman Brothers. Same problem with their mannerisms, they don't seem to match any of the footage we have of the Sherman brothers at all.

I'll be interested to see the film, if only to see shots of early Disney Studios and Disneyland recreated... but I have to say this trailer seems to be a big let down for me.

What are your thoughts, MiceChatters?
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Disgruntled Former CM

Red Face Re: Saving Mr. Banks Trailer -- Thoughts?

It is often difficult to get the full feeling for a film by a trailer; trailers can be skewed (we have all seen the 'Scary Mary Popplins' faux trailer); about the only thing we get to judge is whether the actors resemble their real-life counter-parts... and even this can be misleading.

Views of various trailers with actors portraying known (beloved) personalities have long been met with similar comments, based on short snippets: "Michelle Williams looks NOTHING like Marilyn...", "Anthony Hopkins has been miscast; he doesn't have any of Hitchcock's traits...", "Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't have the stature or build to play Lincoln..." and yet, as the film unfolds, and we meet these personalities "anew" on the screen, we begin to get a feel for what the actor is bringing to the characterization: not a wax image, not an impersonation, but a real living and breathing feel for the person...

Let's let the film open, and then we can start tearing it down.
    Last edited by EvilQueen; 07-12-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

• Heavy Breather

Re: Saving Mr. Banks Trailer -- Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post

It is often difficult to get the full feeling for a film by a trailer; trailers can be skewed (we have all seen the 'Scary Mary Popplins' faux trailer); about the only thing we get to judge is whether the actors resemble their real-life counter-parts... and even this can be misleading.

Views of various trailers with actors portraying known (beloved) personalities have long been met with similar comments, based on short snippets: "Michelle Williams looks NOTHING like Marilyn...", "Anthony Hopkins has been miscast; he doesn't have any of Hitchcock's traits...", "Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't have the stature or build to play Lincoln..." and yet, as the film unfolds, and we meet these personalities "anew" on the screen, we begin to get a feel for what the actor is bringing to the characterization: not a wax image, not an impersonation, but a real living and breathing feel for the person...

Let's let the film open, and then we can start tearing it down.
    Well said your highness, I've been excited for this film for a while. I think Emma Thompson is going to do a great job as P.L. Travers. Tom Honks as Walt is a difficult choice for me, I think he will do a great job but at times in the trailer he sounded like Forrest Gump. But still I'll just keep further judgment internal until the film is released.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Metro-Retro Historian

I agree that they made no attempt to make Hanks look anything like Walt other than have him grow the mustache. Of course, they don't resemble each other at all to begin with, so there probably wasn't much that could be done anyway. As far as the voice, I think he got Walt's speaking rhythm down pretty well but I have no idea where that southern accent came from. Walt was a Midwesterner so he had the midwestern non-accent. It take that back. He had a weird way of saying the word "measure" but that's really it.

Shwartzman and Novak have no business playing the Sherman Brothers. Since to this day you can see the real Shermans playing and singing with Walt outside the Carousel of Progress at approximately the same time Mary Poppins was in production, you think they might try a little to find actors that at least resemble the people they are playing a little.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

The one and only thing I think when I watch the trailer is "it's Tom Hanks with a mustache."
    He does NOT cut it as Walt for me. End of story.

• Candlelight Caroler

Moderator, please merge all three Saving Mr. Banks threads.

• Selfie Expert

I'm pretty excited for the movie. I thought the role of Walt was minor in this film, but I was apparently wrong in that assumption.

I agree, I do not see Walt in Tom Hanks. On one hand, I think Tom Hanks brings a lot of talent to the table, on the other I'd like a lesser known actor who looks more similar to Walt... but then there's a question of acting ability?

Either way, I'm looking forward to see it!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• film975

When I first heard about Tom Hanks playing Walt Disney in this movie, the one thing I looked forward the most was seeing the first trailer. And it didn't disappoint. I find myself watching it a lot ever since it first debuted. I guess it's the Disney fan in me. And there's a lot for Disney fans in it.

One example is Tom Hanks as Walt recreating scenes from the Disneyland TV show. I hope there is more of that in the movie. I also love the shot of him at the Disneyland main gate. I agree his accent sounds a little too southern. But I think Mr. Hanks is going to make a fine Mr. Disney for his first portrayal on film. I haven't been this excited for a movie in a long time.

my initial reaction is that im very excited cannot wait to see it, I have to admit tom hanks looks like a decent walt but hos accent is uh, southern sounding and doesnt go well, personally.
    When this comes out I will definately be there!
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

The scene that made me love Hanks as Walt Disney was a tiny little part of the trailer. They are showing the back of Hanks/Walt and Hanks/Walt puts his hands on his lower back. It just seemed like such a Walt move that it made me smile.

Can't wait for this movie!!
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• "Always On The Move..."

Watched the trailer over and over. I can hardly wait for this to come out. I agree with TodAZ1, that little part of Hanks/Walt putting his hands on his back just seems so right!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Can't wait! I think Tom is fine with Walt even though, as other's have said, the accent threw me off. But Emma Thompson is going to be fantastic as PL Travers. She is actually probably who I'm really excited to see!

I will watch the film from two perspectives. The first perspective will be the film as a whole, judging it on the merits and credentials of how I critique other films. The second perspective will be a super nit picky type of look where I just tear the film apart for so many inaccuracies. The former will be more of my true stance on the film and the second will just be for fun and I will try not to let such nit picks get in the way (Unless it is a truly big not pick that cannot be overlooked)

PS: I love you Tom hanks in so many roles, but I am just not buying his role as Walt Disney. Hopefully I will allow myself a little bit suspension of disbelief when I finally see the film.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Tom Hanks does the two finger point in the carousel scene andalmost has a twinkle in his eye.