Question Revisiting "John Carter"

I've recently watched "John Carter" a few times with the commentary running and I am astounded at the difference between the filmmakers' take and the public response to the movie.

The only thing I can find wrong is that Taylor Kitsch looks far too young and pretty to be the John Carter I knew through the books and even the comic books. I thought he did a superb job with the part but was just 20 years too young. Daniel Craig ("Cowboys and Aliens") or Harrison Ford in his forties would have been lovely.

Even the filmmakers note that they were worried Kitsch would "play young." Maybe they thought the audience for the movie was little boys rather than adults who yearned for their favorite stories to finally be brought to the screen? I feel so bad for them...this movie is full of love and was hard work for all involved, most certainly including Taylor Kitsch.

Perhaps it is because Woola and Dobby have that same way of silently sneaking up on you from three blocks away -- you look down and find goofy worshipful dog eyes looking up at you without having heard a thing, that I really like finding things to like in "John Carter," or perhaps because I have been waiting fifty years to see the movie...

Does anyone else have any thoughts?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• secure all cargo

Re: Revisiting "John Carter"

I also rewatched it recently. I was able to enjoy it more this time in spite of my pretty much having the same opinions as before. In general I just think Stanton and Kitsch failed to draw us into the character for most of the film up until the last 7 or 8 minutes. I mean, I loved that ending, it's just too bad the rest of the film did not feel that epic and sweeping.

I agree that Kitsch has always seemed too young for me, especially for a guy who is that world-weary from all his experience and trauma. And I agree that Woola was awesome.

As for the commentary, I got the impression they had recorded it before the film was actually released because they made reference to a possible sequel. Certainly if they had recorded it after the initial release they wouldn't have mentioned more films, they would have known by then it was never gonna happen.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Re: Revisiting "John Carter"

I enjoyed it the first time I saw it. To heck with the critics. Do you know how many movies they've panned that went on to become a hit with the public? I remember reading someone saying (referring to architecture) that that the public is always a better judge than the critics. I don't know if the same can be said for movies since some really terrible films do well at the box-office, but no way should John Carter have received the bad press it did and I'm sorry but the studio should have backed their product a little more forcefully.