Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• film975

Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

I'm with the Disney Family Museum on this one. There are so many misconceptions and urban legends about Walt. I'm glad to see that they are officially debunking this.

• Artistic integrity

Meryl Streep wants to call Walt anti-semantic, and a misogynist?

Well, so was the majority of the 20th Century.

How does one logically judge someone from another time, when attitudes about lots of things were much different than they are today?

As a society .. many have learned ... and Walt did too, and more... if he lived longer.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by monster heck View Post
    Well, to be fair, I didn't know a lot of famous people from history and I sure as heck have strong opinions about them!

Actors and celebs have opinions, just like the rest of us common folk. But they have an audience and what they say, for better or worse, gets publicity.
    Both your points are valid.

Firstly, your opinions have some basis in fact. You've studied the famous person in history class or read biographies and histories and then formed an opinion. It's possible Meryl Streep has read a lot about Disney, but based on what she said, I doubt it. It sounds more like she heard some specific facts or rumors and then made some outlandish comments for the sake of publicity. Had she read a lot about Disney, her comments would have been more tempered and not outright accusations.

Secondly, celebs do indeed have opinions like the rest of us, but the size of their audience requires some filtering and responsibility. There is undoubtedly a large group of her fans that will believe anything she says, however incorrect it might be. She should be sure of what she's saying first. I wonder what the reaction would have been if she had posted these comments on Twitter. It's likely she'd be apologizing right about now, in the same way many other celebs have done recently.

• Minion

I find this really ironic since she's in the upcoming into the woods. You'd think someone with such strong beliefs about Walt Disney wouldn't be in a disney film.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbee View Post
    I think people make a mistake when judging historical figures based on modern mores. I find it grossly unfair to judge people without fully understanding the time and culture in which those people lived.
    Very well put. Walt was a man of his time. Had he lived longer, his views would have been affected by additional years of knowledge.
    Even so, the facts point to him not being anti semetic.

• Hooterville, USA

Streep is a hack.

Walt Disney

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Chief Troublemaker

As previous posters have mentioned, Walt was a product of his time/environment. One who died relatively young and who died before a lot of the major changes to our society that have tried to expose and eliminate inequality. Walt's attitudes towards women and minorities were probably no different than my own father's and grandfather's AT THAT TIME. But as times changed and people accepted that the old ideas were wrong, my father and grandfather both changed, too. So, yes, there may be things that Walt said or did that now raise eyebrows today. This is true for most people born in the early decades of the 20th century. The problem is that Walt didn't live long enough to make statements or produce entertainment showing that his attitude had changed with the changing times.

Was Walt a die-hard racist or sexist? Absolutely, unequivalently NO. And people (I'm talking to you Ms Streep) need to stop using things done or said in the distant past (when the actions were typical) to demonize good people.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Walt did what most other companies and people did back then. That was normal. Looking at his history of the studio, he was decent to women for that time period. A good example is Mary Blair.

People's opinions on issues evolve and I think Walt's opinion on things shifted with the societal norms then. It's kind of unfair to call someone evil for doing something that was normal for that time period.

It's like comparing Charlie Chaplin movies to Star Wars. Charlie Chaplin was a hit back then, but many consider it crap by today's standards (IMO, it really isn't, but most teenagers these days probably would...).
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

I'll be honest, I was angry when I discovered the article. Meryl Streep is a lovely woman, I'm sure, but she needed to do her research first before jumping to conclusions.
    "Imagination is something that belongs to all of us!"

-Dreamfinder

• I'm from Canada eh!

Disney was a very cunning business man and really knew what he wanted and I suppose it is easy to judge him by today’s standards. I’d like to think that if he had lived longer he would have changed with popular opinion, but who really knows.

I think it is fair to say that Disney’s only real interest was the success of his company. It was never a political statement to not hire minorities, or to block the formation of a union, it was that it would have a negative impact on the success of the company…

The LA Times actually agree with Ms. Streep, but they don't think it matters:

Meryl Streep is right: Walt Disney was a 'gender bigot.' So what? - latimes.com

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• formerly very helpful

For some reason, Disney (the man and the company) are often a target for seeking out such problems as racism, when other companies are overlooked. I knew a person who had his own boycott of Disney due to the company being "racist." His evidence was their production of Song of the South, a movie produced in the 1940s. However, this same person wouldn't boycott Universal for producing Amos and Andy, which was horrendously more racist. There is often no rhyme or reason for attitudes.
    if there is something positive to be taken from this is the trend that more people seem to be willing to defend the issue of racial and gender inequality.

• formerly very helpful

To further point out the hypocrisy of some people, this same person I mentioned drove a Ford, even though Henry Ford was an avid anti-Semite and active supporter of Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Very well put. Walt was a man of his time. Had he lived longer, his views would have been affected by additional years of knowledge.
    Even so, the facts point to him not being anti semetic.
    As we all have. It's easy for Meryl, or anyone else for that matter, to judge others who lived long before we did, because we have the benefit of having evolved. To persecute the past is redundant and counter productive. The focus should be on today and the future.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• First star to the right..

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    She was out of hand for this, no doubt.

Although I don't believe Walt Disney was racist, his work was definitely racially insensitive at times.

He deffiantly hated us Jews... but it's fine, a Jew turned the company into the powerhouse it is today. So I'm happy! lol

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast