Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 106
  1. #31

    • Victory Pictures
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    314

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    She was out of hand for this, no doubt.

    Although I don't believe Walt Disney was racist, his work was definitely racially insensitive at times.

    He diffidently hated us Jews... but it's fine, a Jew turned the company into the powerhouse it is today. So I'm happy! lol

  2. #32

    • Chief Troublemaker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere, out there
    Posts
    1,425

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    He deffiantly hated us Jews... but it's fine, a Jew turned the company into the powerhouse it is today. So I'm happy! lol

    Excuse me? That's a very strong statement.

    Walt Disney may have 'bought in' to certain of the prevalent stereotypes common of his day. And he may have made certain business decisions based on those stereotypes. But there's no evidence that he 'hated' the Jews as a people.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

  3. #33

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,343

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by monster heck View Post
    Well, to be fair, I didn't know a lot of famous people from history and I sure as heck have strong opinions about them!

    Actors and celebs have opinions, just like the rest of us common folk. But they have an audience and what they say, for better or worse, gets publicity.
    Best to stay silent and be thought of as a sage than to open one's mouth and ruin the charade.
    (I like this better than the original.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  4. #34

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,343

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    It's like comparing Charlie Chaplin movies to Star Wars. Charlie Chaplin was a hit back then, but many consider it crap by today's standards (IMO, it really isn't, but most teenagers these days probably would...).
    And Chaplin had a thing for teenagers, so there you go.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  5. #35

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,926

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    He diffidently hated us Jews... but it's fine, a Jew turned the company into the powerhouse it is today. So I'm happy! lol
    Actually, according to research done by B'nai Brith, Walt was not anti-semetic. He had many Jews working for him, many of whom are on record with their respect for the man. He was a butt-kicker of a boss who demanded the best from all of his people.

  6. #36

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,907

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    When we're looking at things like historical anti-Semitism I tend to take actions into account. With someone like Henry Ford, who not only supported Hitler but funded the US edition of The Protocols of Zion, which has been responsible for the deaths of many and is still used as a "Bible" by some anti-Semitic groups, I take exception.

    Someone like Disney on the other hand? Yes, perhaps had the attitudes of his era in regards to both race and religion. However he NEVER advocated killing, excluding or hurting Jews or minorities in any way, shape or form. He never put any messages about that in his work. He actively made films AGAINST Hitler, including ones that talked about the Holocaust way before most others did.

    And the Disney corporation has really made great strides for inclusiveness in its work, especially over the last 20 years.

    That, to me, shows what he was really made of.

    I think the other thing is that if a company makes amends for the past, it counts. The Ford Foundation is now one of the top sponsors of multicultural museum exhibits and exchanges, and was responsible for getting Schindler's List on television for the very first time. I don't like Henry Ford but I can certainly appreciate that the Ford company of today has exchanged messages of hate for messages of peace.
    Last edited by Malina; 01-10-2014 at 11:09 AM.

  7. #37

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,907

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    In case someone hasn't seen it, this is Disney's anti-Nazi cartoon, where he shows young German children being brainwashed to hate, and talks about the fact that Hitler was killing the ill and disabled.

    Education For Death - Disney WWII Propaganda Cartoon - YouTube

    And in this one Disney actually talked about concentration camps...in 1943. That's actually a pretty big thing because people didn't want to believe what Hitler was doing during WWII.

    Reason and Emotion ( cartoon disney propagande 1943 vostf ) - YouTube
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  8. #38

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    457

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    And I think the other thing is that if a company makes amends for the past, it counts. The Ford Foundation is now one of the top sponsors of multicultural museum exhibits and exchanges, and was responsible for getting Schindler's List on television for the very first time. I don't like Henry Ford but I can certainly appreciate that the Ford company of today has exchanged messages of hate for messages of peace.
    I very much agree with this. Given time and the chance to evolve, it is logical to expect that Walt or Henry Ford could have or would have changed with the times. Likewise, if you put any one of us in their era, would we have acted and thought differently?

    Meryl's comments were such a cheap shot in this regard. What's funny is that her comments are the very definition of *intolerant*. Tolerance isn't just for the bigots of the world.

    Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

  9. #39

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,343

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    In case someone hasn't seen it, this is Disney's anti-Nazi cartoon, where he shows young German children being brainwashed to hate, and talks about the fact that Hitler was killing the ill and disabled.

    Education For Death - Disney WWII Propaganda Cartoon - YouTube

    And in this one Disney actually talked about concentration camps...in 1943. That's actually a pretty big thing because people didn't want to believe what Hitler was doing during WWII.

    Reason and Emotion ( cartoon disney propagande 1943 vostf ) - YouTube
    That second one might be the first ever instance of the use of Godwin's Law.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  10. #40

    • Mistress of Evil
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    219

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    He had to be somewhat evil..I mean...c'mon...How else could he create such great villians like Maleficient?

    In all seriousness though...Meryl is a little off her rocker here...and poor Emma Thompson...Sounds like a very uncomfortable intorduction.

  11. #41

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    108

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Instead of attacking someone she never met and about whom she obviously knows little, Meryl Streep should stick to acting. Somehow actors think their celebrity makes them wise and important - it doesn't.
    Ms. Streep is probably jealous she didn't have Emma Thompson's part.

  12. #42

    • Elk Grove Chris
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern Cal
    Posts
    964

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Best to stay silent and be thought of as a sage than to open one's mouth and ruin the charade.
    (I like this better than the original.)
    Well said, is this attributed as anonymous as well?
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

  13. #43

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,343

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris001 View Post
    Well said, is this attributed as anonymous as well?
    I'll have to research, but I think I'm the first.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  14. #44

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    470

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Bottom line is that Walt, at worst, was a man of his time. There are some things that would make us cringe now, but did he not hire women at all? Did he not hire Jews? Did he not allow them into Disneyland? (Besides, weren't the Sherman bros. Jewish?)

    Otherwise, to describe Walt as an anti-Semite and a misogynist is to call someone who has never started a fire an arsonist.

    Quote Originally Posted by katy621 View Post
    Ms. Streep is probably jealous she didn't have Emma Thompson's part.
    The way I understand it she was considered for the role. FWIW...

  15. #45

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by GiRiMama33 View Post
    He had to be somewhat evil..I mean...c'mon...How else could he create such great villians like Maleficient?

    .
    Actually Marc Davis was the main person responsible of designing and animating Maleficent.




Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Walt Disney (in person)
    By disneyking in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 07:00 PM
  2. Walt Disney Treasures Wave 5!
    By Soulquarian in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 10:31 AM
  3. Walt Disney's birthday
    By minnies_shoes in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 12:02 AM
  4. Walt Disney News Articles
    By Alex3231 in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 09:31 PM
  5. Walt Disney News Articles :-)
    By Alex3231 in forum Break Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 05:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •