Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 106
  1. #76

    • Chief Troublemaker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere, out there
    Posts
    1,830

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by napeterson18 View Post
    Saying "Disney was a man of his time" is just a euphemism for saying he was a racist. In white 20th century America (particularly pre-civil rights), they essentially went hand and hand. This is in no way a knock on Disney, however. Please remember that racism does not have to be an active or vocalized hatred against a minority, and it can be as simple as contributing to institutionalized racism.



    I, too, believe that Walt was a man who evolved with the times.

    I disagree, as my previous post details. And if you're basing your argument on 'contributing to institutionalized racism' then again, I disagree. The key, IMHO, is KNOWINGLY. Yes, there might have been 'institutionalized racism' according to today's standards. Many years ago there were things that were standard practice (like restrictive covenants in home sales) that today we would find abhorrent. The people who signed them were not racist (by the standards of their day), they weren't doing it with the malicious intent to exclude in their hearts, they were just doing what was normal. Wrong, but normal for that time.

    If I purchase a popular garment ("everyone is getting that shirt, I gotta have one, too!") and later find that it was made in a sweatshop, am I 'guilty' of contributing to the misery of the workers? No. I may have done so, but I did so unknowingly, I did so in ignorance. Same thing. To continue would be wrong, now that I know. I may even choose to take the shirt back and demand a refund. But no one should be labeled for mistakes made in the past.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

  2. #77

    • Donald's #1 Fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    940

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Shows like, say "Family Guy" usually portray mexicans as laborers, maids, etc. with dark skin, thick accents, and they always act as if they were stupid or dumb., etc. Ring a bell?

    People laugh about the show. I know. I've watched it. The character's name is "Consuela". Not even a real name. The proper one is "Consuelo". Ring a bell?

    I'd expect this kind of behavior will disappear in, say, 10 or 20 years.

    Am I to assume that every single person who laughed at Family Guy today will be considered a racist or a xenophobe in the future?

  3. #78

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    135

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    You have to remember that no one who is making a movie can predict what will all of the sudden be offensive and so-called politically correct 70 years later. The Crows in Dumbo? To this day I don't think they are offensive and think the people that think they are are just looking into things. However, there is no way Walt could tell that people in 2014 would think a part of his movie is racially offensive from 1941. I am 33, in my lifetime alone I have seen certain phrases go the way of so-called political correctness. Things in the 1990s that people said would cause people to raise their eyebrow today. Why? People get more insensitive as time goes on. This is something that is impossible to predict. You want one guarantee here? The most politically correct person on these boards is right now saying a phrase or a word that will be unheard of in 30 years. Your kids will be embarrassed with you saying this word. They'll say "Ah, mom and dad are old fashioned" people in THEIR day (2014) used words like that but not us.

    See what I am getting at? We have no idea what is all of the sudden going to be a societal norm. Remember when you could let your kids play outside without hovering over them when they were under the age of 10 and no one thought you were a bad parent? Yeah, that was the 1990s. just that recent. So what I am saying is that you can't fault a person for this stuff at all.

    And lastly, if Floyd Norman and the Sherman Brothers constantly defend this guy and they actually met and worked for the man then why do we even listen to an opinion from Meryl Streep or Family Guy or Spike Lee? Give me the collective word of people who knew Walt personally. And let's stop acting shocked when he acts human. The Disney Company sometimes paints him as a saint, but he wasn't he was a human who did some wonderful things for people but still put his pants on one leg at a time.

  4. #79

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,979
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Walt Disney was not perfect, like most everyone else he had predigests and many things he did was out of fear...he truly loved what he did and the people he worked with so he made some mistakes out of fear like many of us do but is he evil nawww...just hardworking made with a dream that left behind a company that build him up as such a perfect man when, no one's that perfect

  5. #80

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    594

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Walt Disney's Grandniece Agrees With Meryl Streep: He Was 'Racist'

    By Scott Feinberg20 hours ago

    . . . On Friday, Abigail posted two Facebook statuses that left no doubt about her own views regarding her great-uncle, Streep and Walt Disney Pictures, the distributor of Saving Mr. Banks, in which Tom Hanks plays Walt Disney.

    That morning, Abigail, whose grandfather Roy O. Disney was Walt's older brother and co-founder of The Walt Disney Company, posted: "I hadn't heard a word about this Meryl Streep/Walt Disney flap till this morning. Funny how no one mentioned it to me.... Like I was living in some kind of information bubble and nobody wanted to hurt my feelings or something. But if anyone is going to have mixed feelings about a cultural icon, wouldn't it be a member of the family??? More than anyone else???
    "And if you are going to have mixed feelings about a family member (and we all do) take it from me, you really need to be as honest as possible about those feelings, or else you are going to lead yourself into many a blind alley in life!! ... Anti-Semite? Check. Misogynist? OF COURSE!! Racist? C'mon he made a film (Jungle Book) about how you should stay 'with your own kind' at the height of the fight over segregation! As if the 'King of the Jungle' number wasn't proof enough!! How much more information do you need? But damn, he was hella good at making films and his work has made billions of people happy. There's no denying it. So there ya go. Mixed feelings up the wazoo."

    Abigail posted again 10 hours later: "I feel I have to clarify. I LOVED what Meryl Streep said. I know he was a man of his times and I can forgive him, but Saving Mr Banks was a brazen attempt by the company to make a saint out of the man. A devil he was not. Nor an angel. That's the point and if you read ALL her remarks you'll know that's exactly what she was getting at. She said exactly what I said about how in spite of it all, his vision was amazing and he brought joy to so many around the world. So I say Brava Meryl. I don't believe in bashing for bashing's sake but whenever we see a misplaced attempt at hagiography we need to speak our minds!"

    . . .


    Yahoo!


  6. #81

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,218

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    Shows like, say "Family Guy" usually portray mexicans as laborers, maids, etc. with dark skin, thick accents, and they always act as if they were stupid or dumb., etc. Ring a bell?

    People laugh about the show. I know. I've watched it. The character's name is "Consuela". Not even a real name. The proper one is "Consuelo". Ring a bell?

    I'd expect this kind of behavior will disappear in, say, 10 or 20 years.

    Am I to assume that every single person who laughed at Family Guy today will be considered a racist or a xenophobe in the future?
    no....no.....no....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  7. #82

    • Artistic integrity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    3,609

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    So, I got a basic question:

    Why is Merryl Streep (or anyone else) holding a man (who has been dead for 48 years) up to TODAY'S standards?
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

  8. #83

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    135

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    Walt Disney's Grandniece Agrees With Meryl Streep: He Was 'Racist'

    By Scott Feinberg20 hours ago

    . . . On Friday, Abigail posted two Facebook statuses that left no doubt about her own views regarding her great-uncle, Streep and Walt Disney Pictures, the distributor of Saving Mr. Banks, in which Tom Hanks plays Walt Disney.

    That morning, Abigail, whose grandfather Roy O. Disney was Walt's older brother and co-founder of The Walt Disney Company, posted: "I hadn't heard a word about this Meryl Streep/Walt Disney flap till this morning. Funny how no one mentioned it to me.... Like I was living in some kind of information bubble and nobody wanted to hurt my feelings or something. But if anyone is going to have mixed feelings about a cultural icon, wouldn't it be a member of the family??? More than anyone else???
    "And if you are going to have mixed feelings about a family member (and we all do) take it from me, you really need to be as honest as possible about those feelings, or else you are going to lead yourself into many a blind alley in life!! ... Anti-Semite? Check. Misogynist? OF COURSE!! Racist? C'mon he made a film (Jungle Book) about how you should stay 'with your own kind' at the height of the fight over segregation! As if the 'King of the Jungle' number wasn't proof enough!! How much more information do you need? But damn, he was hella good at making films and his work has made billions of people happy. There's no denying it. So there ya go. Mixed feelings up the wazoo."

    Abigail posted again 10 hours later: "I feel I have to clarify. I LOVED what Meryl Streep said. I know he was a man of his times and I can forgive him, but Saving Mr Banks was a brazen attempt by the company to make a saint out of the man. A devil he was not. Nor an angel. That's the point and if you read ALL her remarks you'll know that's exactly what she was getting at. She said exactly what I said about how in spite of it all, his vision was amazing and he brought joy to so many around the world. So I say Brava Meryl. I don't believe in bashing for bashing's sake but whenever we see a misplaced attempt at hagiography we need to speak our minds!"

    . . .


    Yahoo!

    Honestly, this is something I am a little skeptical about. Roy had one son, Roy Jr. He was married in 1955. I am not sure how old Abigail is, however Roy Jr. had 4 kids and I believe Abigail was the first. Even so, at best she was 10 years old when her great Uncle Walt died. I'm not sure how much experience she would have had with him and how clear her memories would be.

    In all honesty, this is the first time I have ever heard a great movie like the Jungle Book being referenced as a movie that went against Civil Rights. She says in the movie that they should stay with their "own kind". Come on, it was a little boy living in the jungle with homicidal snakes and tigers his "own kind" were humans for crying out loud! Geez, some people look far too deep into things.

  9. #84

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    135

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Not that this is evidence of anything either, but Walt was a big admirer of Abraham Lincoln as we know. This was the President most responsible for freeing blacks as slaves. So there are times when a lot of things don't add up to these rumours people are saying. I am pretty sure Walt was aware of the role Lincoln played in Civil Rights, in fact I know he did. Just saying, for people jumping on the bandwagon about him.

  10. #85

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,952

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    Honestly, this is something I am a little skeptical about. Roy had one son, Roy Jr. He was married in 1955. I am not sure how old Abigail is, however Roy Jr. had 4 kids and I believe Abigail was the first. Even so, at best she was 10 years old when her great Uncle Walt died. I'm not sure how much experience she would have had with him and how clear her memories would be.

    In all honesty, this is the first time I have ever heard a great movie like the Jungle Book being referenced as a movie that went against Civil Rights. She says in the movie that they should stay with their "own kind". Come on, it was a little boy living in the jungle with homicidal snakes and tigers his "own kind" were humans for crying out loud! Geez, some people look far too deep into things.
    Exactly, they are mistaking race with animal species




  11. #86

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Absolutely true!

    Ms. Streep is a competent Actor - not so much as an Historian.
    another Hollywood liberal who knows not what she speaks of.

  12. #87

    • 7/17/2005 I was there!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    59

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Yeah Walt was racist.Take a look at the "Its A Small World" opening day photos. He looks sooooo mad with all those kids from different countries standing all around smiling.

    Oh wait...
    "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

  13. #88

    • KC to DL= 1,640 miles
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come
    Posts
    4,190

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    This may be beside the point here, but Abigail Disney was 6 years old when Walt died. Did she really know her uncle well enough to say that she agrees 100% of what Streep said?
    Last edited by royaldisneyfan; 01-16-2014 at 09:49 PM.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

  14. #89

    • Artistic integrity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    3,609

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    It's easy to paint broad strokes of black and white to family members they never knew. And since Walt died when she was 6, she's really not in a position to talk about him in terms .. like she spent so much time getting to know her Great Uncle - himself. Instead of through books, interviews, and other family's accounts of the man.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

  15. #90

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,952

    Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Fan View Post
    Yeah Walt was racist.Take a look at the "Its A Small World" opening day photos. He looks sooooo mad with all those kids from different countries standing all around smiling.

    Oh wait...
    The fact that he even made It's a Small World in the first place, celebrating all cultures of the world, is telling.




Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Walt Disney (in person)
    By disneyking in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 07:00 PM
  2. Walt Disney Treasures Wave 5!
    By Soulquarian in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 10:31 AM
  3. Walt Disney's birthday
    By minnies_shoes in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 12:02 AM
  4. Walt Disney News Articles
    By Alex3231 in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 09:31 PM
  5. Walt Disney News Articles :-)
    By Alex3231 in forum Break Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 05:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •