Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Under that tree again!

Is Walt Disney evil?

I can't believe this isn't being discussed here as it's in the news.

I'll get some link shortly.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Re: Is Walt Disney evil?

What!?

• Under that tree again!

Meryl Streep Meryl Streep doesn't like Walt Disney - MSN Movies News

So far this awards season, we've seen people taking shots at the real Captain Phillips (he wasn't such a hero, some crew members said), at the lead character in "The Wolf of Wall Street" (he's horrible and Martin Scorsese should have said so, literalists charge), even at Solomon Northrup (did he really write "12 Years a Slave" himself back in 1853?).
    And now it's the late Walt Disney's turn for some bashing -- although the surprise isn't that the movie titan played by Tom Hanks in "Saving Mr. Banks" wasn't a saintly person, it's that the person doing the bashing was none other than Meryl Streep, at Tuesday night's National Board of Review awards.
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 01-16-2014 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Edited to comply with copyright laws.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

I looked for a discussion about it a few days ago, but didn't know which forum it would be in. It doesn't really belong here. Maybe in the Disney Studios/Film forum?

• Minion

She was out of hand for this, no doubt.

Although I don't believe Walt Disney was racist, his work was definitely racially insensitive at times.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Instead of attacking someone she never met and about whom she obviously knows little, Meryl Streep should stick to acting. Somehow actors think their celebrity makes them wise and important - it doesn't.

I think people make a mistake when judging historical figures based on modern mores. I find it grossly unfair to judge people without fully understanding the time and culture in which those people lived.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbee View Post
    I think people make a mistake when judging historical figures based on modern mores. I find it grossly unfair to judge people without fully understanding the time and culture in which those people lived.
    Absolutely true!

Ms. Streep is a competent Actor - not so much as an Historian.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• 7/17/2005 I was there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Instead of attacking someone she never met and about whom she obviously knows little, Meryl Streep should stick to acting. Somehow actors think their celebrity makes them wise and important - it doesn't.
    Exactly! I lost some respect for Meryl after what I read today regarding her comments. It seems very popular to bash Walt nowadays.

Perhaps she should Google Eric Sevareid's evening news eulogy and remember all the good that Walt did for this world.
    "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

• Under that tree again!

As little as I know, Meryl said this at the National Board of Review, when she was awarding a prize to Emma Thompson who is in Saving My Banks.

It appears Meryl spoke for 9 minutes to introduce Thompson.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    As little as I know, Meryl said this at the National Board of Review, when she was awarding a prize to Emma Thompson who is in Saving My Banks.

It appears Meryl spoke for 9 minutes to introduce Thompson.
    This is really the main thing I see wrong with the matter. She was supposed to be presenting an award to a friend, and went completely off topic.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Goofy

walt was no jesus that is for sure. human nature has an ugly side to it.just saying that is all.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Fan View Post
    Exactly! I lost some respect for Meryl after what I read today regarding her comments. It seems very popular to bash Walt nowadays.

Perhaps she should Google Eric Sevareid's evening news eulogy and remember all the good that Walt did for this world.
    It looks like the points she tried to make have been pretty well debunked through either historical context and the gender roles of certain eras, or flat out error.

Methinks she needs to do her homework next time before she makes such aggressive accusations against someone who can't defend himself….especially in such a widely public forum such as that.

Was he perfect? No. Was he a man of his generation? Yes. Might he have opinions we don't all agree with? Yes. Was he human? Yes.

Unfortunately we live in an era where people can pretty much say anything they want and it's immediately believed to be true, whether it has any basis in fact or not.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbee View Post
    This. Leonard Maltin clears this up repeatedly when introducing shorts.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Well, to be fair, I didn't know a lot of famous people from history and I sure as heck have strong opinions about them!

Actors and celebs have opinions, just like the rest of us common folk. But they have an audience and what they say, for better or worse, gets publicity.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast