View Poll Results: Do you think Frozen is Overrated?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • OMG YES

19 30.16%
  • NO - I love it, it's the best thing ever

12 19.05%
  • It's overrated but I still like it.

29 46.03%
  • I haven't seen it and don't plan to

3 4.76%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Frozen is Overrated

If theoretically "overrated" here means undeserving of it's praise, I'm being asked if it's worthy of being called the greatest animated movie of all time.

No. It's not the best ever. I liked it a lot. The songs were nice, the twist worked well enough, but it's not the best Disney movie ever. I'd hesitate to put it in the top 5.

While I love the movie itself, my biggest problem with it is it being interpreted as a revolutionary feature in female themes. "OMG, The first Disney movie where the girl is strong and saves the kingdom!" says teenage girls on twitter. I'm guessing none of them have seen Mulan. "I love how well they show the sister relationship. Disney has never done something like that before" say the same girls. They should try watching Lilo and Stitch.

It's a fantastic feature that's well made but not nearly as original as people act like it is. Disney has gone the female empowerment angle before, they've gone the family bond between siblings angle before, and while it might have been done better in Frozen than the other two movies, it's not the first to try.

• Disney Renaissance FTW!!

Yes, I think Frozen is incredibly overrated, but I thought the same thing for Tangled when it first came on, and I love that movie now. Maybe it just takes time.
    The Disney Renaissance

1989-1999

• secure all cargo

None of the choices describe my feelings.

Personally, I thought Frozen was a really good film and it worked really well for me. I enjoyed the story, identified with the characters, and was moved by the end. Overrated? No, I am happy for its billion and awards to boot, I feel it is earned. I don't think it's success necessarily makes Frozen better than other films that made or won less (and I do enjoy other Disney films more than Frozen) but neither does that take away anything from Frozen.

If anything, while I don't feel Frozen is overrated, I do feel it's a bit overexposed at this point. It's hard to escape it. My daughters were having balloon animals made today and half the girls were getting Elsa. But for me it's a little like Small World - as much as you may not need to hear that song again, it's difficult to deny how well the attraction works and it's historical impact. Somehow I still end up on it every other DL trip. If you felt Frozen overrated (or Small World for that matter) this analogy won't work for you, but it makes sense to me. Small World has proven a classic over time while Frozen still has to prove it's legs, but it's a fair point to bring up now I think.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by RenaissanceMan View Post
    Yes, I think Frozen is incredibly overrated, but I thought the same thing for Tangled when it first came on, and I love that movie now. Maybe it just takes time.
    I loved Tangled from the first viewing to the 10th. It's just solid and the only real flaw was the title.

After the first viewing of Frozen, I had that feeling of uneasiness. For the first time in forever, I didn't love what I saw.

I bought the soundtrack. Listened to it over and over. It was… okay. I liked some of the songs but disliked the musical arrangements (the orchestration if you will).

I then talked some friends into watching it with me. They, were absolutely turned off from the marketing but my description of the sisters won them over.

After the viewing, I still felt uneasy about it. My friends (both girls) turned to me and said "we liked your description better".

Look, I think it's okay if you or your kids love Frozen. I'm not trying to take that away. But I would prefer if those same people who love it would stop describing it as "the best thing ever" because…. it isn't. I wouldn't describe Titanic or Avatar as the best things ever but world wide, they're the most viewed films ever made. That's it!

Example: my favorite Indiana Jones film is Temple of Doom. Will I say it's the best Indiana Jones film? No! The best is Raiders of the Lost Ark. But I absolutely love Temple of Doom and prefer to watch that more often. I know its place and I'm fine with that!

Frozen is a fluke. It made more money than the studio could possibly predict. They're going to try to duplicate it but they won't be able to. They don't know why or how it became so big. I know why, but it's not for good reasons.

But in short, Disney has successfully made their first main-stream theatrical pre-school film. The audience of those who love Frozen are younger than the usual. These are the audiences who need to see things on repeat and today's parents are more than willing to oblige.

The next films Disney makes can very well be better than Frozen but it will never make as much if it isn't easy enough for the youngest demographics. Wonder why Cars merchandise continues to sell as much as it does? Youngest demographics.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Nerd

Totally over-rated. to the tune of about 1 billion $$$
    go figure.
    Decent movie, but not my cup of tea. btw...as I was leaving the theatre I said to my wife, that move was made to be a broadway play - the types of sets and music just rang out "Broadway" to me....and then it was announced. Huh. almost like they designed it that way.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Warm Hugging Anna

Well Coheteboy to me Frozen is the best movie ever there is nothing I dislike but maybe the Trolls when they where singing Fixer Upper cause of poor Anna dieing and maybe Demi D. verison of Let It Go. But I though the story was really done great it told how Elsa got her powers and how Anna was trying to get her sister back. To me the best songs are Let It Go and both verisons of For The First Time In Forever. Sleeping Beauty was my number favorite movie for a long time all the others couldn't bet it until Frozen came out. I didn't like Rapunzels cause I never did like the recogizen Fairy tale to the story when I was a kid. Even thou my Tiana at Disneyland is my best friend there I didn't care that mush for Princess and the Frog. I didn't even like the Lion King I even though Brother Bear was better then Beauty and the Beast but of chouse Brother Bear can't beat both Sleeping Beauty and Little Mermaid. So to me Frozen is the best out of all the Disney movies that I have seen and I watch that movie alot on my DVD.

Cali <3, But You'll find me in Agrabah sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I loved Tangled from the first viewing to the 10th. It's just solid and the only real flaw was the title.

I would prefer if those same people who love it would stop describing it as "the best thing ever" because…. it isn't. I wouldn't describe Titanic or Avatar as the best things ever but world wide, they're the most viewed films ever made. That's it!

Example: my favorite Indiana Jones film is Temple of Doom. Will I say it's the best Indiana Jones film? No! The best is Raiders of the Lost Ark. But I absolutely love Temple of Doom and prefer to watch that more often. I know its place and I'm fine with that!

Oo my point exactly. Just because something is the most viewed/most praised by the public, doesn't necessarily means it's "THE BEST."
    Princess Jasmine's trainee

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    Yes, yes, YES. It really is overrated. It'd odd to hear critics say "The best Disney animated film since, The Lion King." Umm, no, it doesn't even compare to The Lion King. The Lion King can Riverdance all over Frozen any time. It's a very weak story with weak musical numbers (Okay, "Let It Go" is nice.)

And that scene in the beginning when Kristoff and Sven are watching the trolls and that one troll says, "Cuties! I'm going to keep you!." Then realizing that they WERE raised by the trolls after all... Really?!? That's all it took? "I'm going to keep you!" Oh, okaaaaay.

frozen compare to lion king is such a joke. very laughable. lion king squashes frozen big time. besides frozen will not hold well in time. as time goes by this will be forgotten.

• Warm Hugging Anna

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    frozen compare to lion king is such a joke. very laughable. lion king squashes frozen big time. besides frozen will not hold well in time. as time goes by this will be forgotten.
    No Frozen squashed Lion King. I didn't like Lion King at all Frozen is way better like I said it has a great story to it. Songs are all good. And the numbers show it. And YES I believe in those numbers. From the top 6 on the worldwide movies only 2 of them I have seen Frozen and Titanic the others I haven't and don't plan to. Because the other 4 in the top 6 is up there and I don't care for them so I say I shouldn't believe in those numbers because I didn't care or like the movie no. What I see is what I believe in. So yes Frozen is better then Lion King,Toy Stoy 3 which is another Disney movie I didn't like in fact all 3 Toy Storys I didn't like well 2 of the 3 I never saw Toy Story 2 and will never see it send I didn't like 1 &3. Also Frozen will be around forever look how it is now in the parks to meet them DL has a 4 hour wait to see them wild WDW has a 6 hour. Plus it's hard to fine anything with Frozen in stores which I know been having trouble fining stuff that I want from the movie. I do ement that there will be some movie that will top Frozen but I don't think any time soon maybe in the next 10 to 12 years but as of now Frozen is here to stay.

Also like Queen Elsa would say: Let It Go and The Past Is In The Past.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Frozen, in my opinion, was my third favorite film of 2013, behind Gravity and Her. It was THE definite proclamation that Disney began to find its form again after the small stumble in the early 2000s, and has brought on the Disney Renewal (or Renaissance 2.0).

That being said, I do think Frozen is overrated. I always forget these problems whenever I'm watching the movie, but then I always end up thinking "I was hoping for one more of something...I just don't know what!" Now I'm going to go movie critic here for a few, so sit back for a spell.

First off, the whole "You don't need a man to save you" argument. Its characters, while different from usual typical Disney characters, are not new. This is NOT the first time we have seen characters like Anna or Elsa. We had Rapunzel, Merida, Belle, and Mulan before that. Disney has gotten the message over time that women are more than just smiley faces and happy songs. They've begun to kick butt, stick up for themselves, and stand their ground.

Next up, the plot. What was the story? Sister discovers other sister's powers, goes to find her, ends up having to leave, and goes back home where the conflict is resolved. Sounds kind of simplistic the more I think about it. Let's use The Lion King for this, as it was the last film under Disney's banner to create a similar buzz. TLK had a journey for the main character, one where he had a childhood that was brutally scarred by his father's death, and he would soon learn who he really was. Frozen's plot seems more like a "road trip" movie where the characters come across something before reaching the destination. TLK's environment it created was massive and beautiful to look at. Frozen had a beautiful environment as well, but it felt a little smaller and more familiar with its human-based world. The climax of TLK feels like the moment the film had built up to, while Frozen had a rather "okay" climax, but was then followed by probably one of the more powerful and moving moments.

The songs feel more Broadway-esque (I'm looking at you Idina!), but that's not an issue. Songs are supposed to emote how a person feels or what they are gong through. Some of these are just what is happening now (First Time), or just pointless (can you say Troll?). "Let It Go" and "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman" are the best out of these as they build the characters up with what they are going through.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook View Post
    No Frozen squashed Lion King. I didn't like Lion King at all Frozen is way better like I said it has a great story to it. Songs are all good. And the numbers show it. And YES I believe in those numbers. From the top 6 on the worldwide movies only 2 of them I have seen Frozen and Titanic the others I haven't and don't plan to. Because the other 4 in the top 6 is up there and I don't care for them so I say I shouldn't believe in those numbers because I didn't care or like the movie no. What I see is what I believe in. So yes Frozen is better then Lion King,Toy Stoy 3 which is another Disney movie I didn't like in fact all 3 Toy Storys I didn't like well 2 of the 3 I never saw Toy Story 2 and will never see it send I didn't like 1 &3. Also Frozen will be around forever look how it is now in the parks to meet them DL has a 4 hour wait to see them wild WDW has a 6 hour. Plus it's hard to fine anything with Frozen in stores which I know been having trouble fining stuff that I want from the movie. I do ement that there will be some movie that will top Frozen but I don't think any time soon maybe in the next 10 to 12 years but as of now Frozen is here to stay.
    I'm sorry, Capt Hook, but I cannot take what you say with any agreement. You are entitled to your opinion, but I cannot comprehend how QUANTITY trumps QUALITY. The numbers only grew because of its added popularity with the Oscars, as it didn't even reach $1 billion until March. Frozen, TLK, and Toy Story all have different setups and elements that make them unique, but if anything, Frozen seems to be the one that seem rather basic, but still appealing. Toy Story 3 was the perfect sendoff for the characters I had grown up with (I was BORN when the first one came out!), and The Lion King--again--had a vast and large size to it that created a world that no one at that time had seen before, in terms of its size.

So why does Frozen have all this hype? My honest answer as to why this film is getting all the praise is our current generation. We live in a world of what's in. "Fad" is one letter away from "fade", and that's exactly what they do. Most things need to be either good or popular, and Frozen has obviously triumphed in being both, which isn't a bad thing at all. Frozen, if anything, was an accidental success. Coheteboy touched this subject already, but it became successful rather suddenly, and nobody knows how or why. Frozen is just a *seemingly* longlasting fad that could fade away, but still be timeless as TLK, BatB, and many others. Now how did the Nostalgia Critic describe the hype of Frozen and its primary song again?

The final verdict? As much of an overrated mess Frozen has become, I still enjoy it no matter what. It still has the touch of Disney magic and heart, while blending its beautiful animation and memorable elements together in a film that creates something that, for the first time in forever, is proud to be a part of Disney.
    Last edited by DisneylandMaster; 05-07-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• Pilot EdForceOne

I don't over analyze The Matrix... but I love watching it.

Most people don't analyze a film before deciding if they like it or not.. they either do or they don't.. maybe have a quibble or two why and let it be.

It really feels there are a lot of people that just want to be 'against' something because it's popular and will dig down and find all the reasons why. Legit reasons? Maybe.. but does it even matter?

Analyzing films is for critics who try to dissect films so they can qualify if something is good or not... trying to guide or predict customer behavior. At the end of the day, there are many films they hate and the public loves. Is the public wrong then?

What carries more weight? Customer sentiment or Critics analysis? It's not just that Frozen did so much in the box office.. it's that people like it and continue to associate with it.

Films have never had to be 'good' by critics evaluations or dissections to be popular, loved or have staying power.

Star Wars has horrible acting at times... clumsy dialogue... story irregularities.. and more.. Yet people fell head over heels for it. Movies greatness is perceived by the public and the viewers - not analyzing them through dissection. Leave that to the internal facing Oscars to decide the merits within the industry or not... the public rarely cares.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

Most people don't analyze a film before deciding if they like it or not.. they either do or they don't.. maybe have a quibble or two why and let it be.

It really feels there are a lot of people that just want to be 'against' something because it's popular and will dig down and find all the reasons why. Legit reasons? Maybe.. but does it even matter?

Analyzing films is for critics who try to dissect films so they can qualify if something is good or not... trying to guide or predict customer behavior. At the end of the day, there are many films they hate and the public loves. Is the public wrong then?

What carries more weight? Customer sentiment or Critics analysis? It's not just that Frozen did so much in the box office.. it's that people like it and continue to associate with it.

Films have never had to be 'good' by critics evaluations or dissections to be popular, loved or have staying power.

Star Wars has horrible acting at times... clumsy dialogue... story irregularities.. and more.. Yet people fell head over heels for it. Movies greatness is perceived by the public and the viewers - not analyzing them through dissection. Leave that to the internal facing Oscars to decide the merits within the industry or not... the public rarely cares.
    Ironically, that is what I just did, but I do see where you come from. My point above was to show that the public made it a success. Not Disney, not the marketing (good god, that was the last thing), and not the hype. It was the people.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• Warm Hugging Anna

These are the top 3 movies I will watch over and over again cause to me there the best.

Frozen
    Annie (1980's movie)
    Back To The Future.

• Goofy

to each to their own I guess

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

The Matrix... is actually a good film. The first one anyway. And that one of all movies is meant to be analyzed. It REALLY made you think!

I understand that some people go to the movies just to escape, and that's fine. If Frozen does that for you, great.

But not me. I'm a film critic in my blood... I grew up watching and reading everything Walt Disney and the whole idea of "plussing"... well... I take it quite literally. The whole thing about "story"... I also take it quite seriously and as DisneylandMaster agreed, Frozen is a really simple story. Too simple really for my tastes.

You bring up Star Wars, which made a boat load of money, and no, it's no shakespeare, but it does offer something most other films do not: imagination. Frozen is a variation of something we've gotten already. Star Wars (the originals) is like NOTHING we've seen before. That's why it was so popular.

Star Wars also had its fair share of critics though. Frozen on the other hand, seems to be forgiven of all crimes when it came to the critics while The Lone Ranger and John Carter got unfairly scathed and left for dead (they definitely had problems but they weren't as bad as they made it out to be)

Hence this thread. The professionals failed to do it so I felt that I had to. And for the most part, the people agree. It is overrated. But, honestly, I do like the characters in the film and wouldn't mind seeing them in another adventure. Frozen though, is a very weak film in my opinion that hides it well with fun characters and music. The journey they went on... it just wasn't enough for me. I need something to bite into.

And the CG wasn't all that good to be honest. This film as a hand drawn movie might have won a lot more points from me.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast