View Poll Results: Do you think Frozen is Overrated?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • OMG YES

19 30.16%
  • NO - I love it, it's the best thing ever

12 19.05%
  • It's overrated but I still like it.

29 46.03%
  • I haven't seen it and don't plan to

3 4.76%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Re: Frozen is Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    And the CG wasn't all that good to be honest. This film as a hand drawn movie might have won a lot more points from me.
    Imagine if we had a movie in the animation style of Paperman...
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• Pilot EdForceOne

The Matrix... is actually a good film. The first one anyway. And that one of all movies is meant to be analyzed. It REALLY made you think!
    Yet, you can enjoy it without all the quandary about realities, etc. It offers both 'immediate value' and deeper thoughts. Can be entertaining without being philosophical. It has both.. now something like Frozen obviously doesn't have both.. but neither does Predator.. but both can still be entertaining.

Films are first and foremost entertainment. People spend time admiring films for what they are beyond entertainment, but first and foremost, its the entertainment value that decides if a film is successful for not. Critics come up with all kinds of methodical ways to quantify if something is 'good' - but in doing so often fail to see the forest for the trees.

But not me. I'm a film critic in my blood... I grew up watching and reading everything Walt Disney and the whole idea of "plussing"... well... I take it quite literally. The whole thing about "story"... I also take it quite seriously and as DisneylandMaster agreed, Frozen is a really simple story. Too simple really for my tastes.

You bring up Star Wars, which made a boat load of money, and no, it's no shakespeare, but it does offer something most other films do not: imagination. Frozen is a variation of something we've gotten already. Star Wars (the originals) is like NOTHING we've seen before. That's why it was so popular.
    Yet decades later, and to new generations.. Star Wars continues to connect and be successful. The huge shift Star Wars was relative to the darker, grittier films popular in the 1970s was a huge part of it's success back then. But that doesn't differentiate it today, nor do the special effects, yet it still rings true with new audiences. All the breakthroughs and fresh views Star Wars had back then have lost their relevancy to new views today... yet they still get hooked on the film. I don't buy into the 'fresh' vs 'seen that' being a contributor to the discussion here. Frozen you say brings nothing new... yet is still a blowout.

Star Wars also had its fair share of critics though. Frozen on the other hand, seems to be forgiven of all crimes when it came to the critics while The Lone Ranger and John Carter got unfairly scathed and left for dead (they definitely had problems but they weren't as bad as they made it out to be)

Hence this thread. The professionals failed to do it so I felt that I had to. And for the most part, the people agree. It is overrated.
    So is this some sort of 'payback'?? For the wrongs against TLR and JC? Know what the difference was? Frozen's word of mouth overcame any critics of the story and music. TLR/JC were panned and it simply did not connect enough with viewers to generate that positive word of mouth that overcomes the media bias against it. Critics tried to poo on Frozen and they were just pissing into the wind. No such wind ever formed for TLR and JC.

At the end of the day... there are the technical elements people think must be present to make a film 'good' - but the academic definition of 'good' doesn't always map to success or reception to the film. And the academic definitions should remain... academic when it comes trying to label a film after it's been proven in the market.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

You might want to fix some of your quotes above, as some of it was my text melding into yours, making for one confusing read.

Here's the ultimate point though, and that is, the critics aren't always right. Nor are the people. It's something that can never be predicted. That's the beauty of it I suppose.

The Star Wars prequels, bad movies, still made huge money. Why? I still echo what I said before: imagination. Good vs evil. And… mindless special effects. And people wanted to see where these characters were going.

Star Wars still endures because it's a galaxy filled with characters and worlds. Lightsabers are still "futuristic" and the Clone Wars miniseries for six seasons have kept the interest in kids alive. LEGO also helped a lot.

And… many would agree those are bad movies. Thus, the world moves on. People can like their Star Wars and agree that they're bad. Life goes on.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandMaster View Post
    Imagine if we had a movie in the animation style of Paperman...

I'd rather imagine if STORY was actually what drove the film rather than SONGS.

But yah, I'd like to see Disney tackle a feature length film that looked more hand drawn again.

• Goofy

The Matrix... is actually a good film. The first one anyway. And that one of all movies is meant to be analyzed. It REALLY made you think!

I understand that some people go to the movies just to escape, and that's fine. If Frozen does that for you, great.

But not me. I'm a film critic in my blood... I grew up watching and reading everything Walt Disney and the whole idea of "plussing"... well... I take it quite literally. The whole thing about "story"... I also take it quite seriously and as DisneylandMaster agreed, Frozen is a really simple story. Too simple really for my tastes.

You bring up Star Wars, which made a boat load of money, and no, it's no shakespeare, but it does offer something most other films do not: imagination. Frozen is a variation of something we've gotten already. Star Wars (the originals) is like NOTHING we've seen before. That's why it was so popular.

Star Wars also had its fair share of critics though. Frozen on the other hand, seems to be forgiven of all crimes when it came to the critics while The Lone Ranger and John Carter got unfairly scathed and left for dead (they definitely had problems but they weren't as bad as they made it out to be)

Hence this thread. The professionals failed to do it so I felt that I had to. And for the most part, the people agree. It is overrated. But, honestly, I do like the characters in the film and wouldn't mind seeing them in another adventure. Frozen though, is a very weak film in my opinion that hides it well with fun characters and music. The journey they went on... it just wasn't enough for me. I need something to bite into.

And the CG wasn't all that good to be honest. This film as a hand drawn movie might have won a lot more points from me.

what is the burden of being a film critic? I find film critics to be interesting subject.

• MiceChat Moderator

Here's someone's online rant. Finally.

Fact: Tangled Is A Far Better Movie Than Frozen

• Queen Elsa

He is full of it. I finally saw Repunzel and I hated it the whole store was as bad as the real fairy tale to this story infact I didn't even watch the whole thing Frozen is and will be the best movie ever. I'm done talking about this Frozen will be with my heart forever nobody can tell me any different.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Here's someone's online rant. Finally.

Fact: Tangled Is A Far Better Movie Than Frozen
    Thanks for the link, Coheteboy. Definitely points out many of the major weaknesses in Frozen, in a succinct manner.

Flynn Rider. Funny, sharp, charming and conniving, a fully realized and compelling personality; unlike, say, the sad-sack Kristoff, who cuts ice blocks for a living and is dumber than his sidekick reindeer or the community of rocks that raised him.
    Poor Kristoff, he didn't get anywhere near close to the Flynn Rider treatment, heck, he didn't even get the Eugene Fitzherbert treatment, in Frozen.

And as for the music, yes, Frozen is Not to my taste at all. And even Tangled only had 2 songs that I liked (Mother Knows Best, and I've got a Dream.) But NEITHER of those 2 movies can hold a candle musically to Princess and the Frog!

Storywise, as you previously pointed out, it was a HORRIBLE decision to revise the entire movie around not even a mediocre song, instead of making the storyline the primary concern. Personally, I grew up in Minnesota, and I've ALWAYS hated the cold. It's ALWAYS bothered me.

• "Always On The Move..."

Well I finally saw Frozen. (I was totally put off by the trailer and especially Olaf). it was cute, but IMO not the best Disney movie by a long shot. Olaf was not as bad as I feared he would be. But still annoying. If I see it again, fine. But if I never see it again, that is fine too. I just really don't understand all the hype as there are much much better Disney movies out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook View Post
    He is full of it. I finally saw Repunzel and I hated it the whole store was as bad as the real fairy tale to this story infact I didn't even watch the whole thing Frozen is and will be the best movie ever. I'm done talking about this Frozen will be with my heart forever nobody can tell me any different.

The fact that you never watched all of Tangled discounts your entire opinion of that and or Frozen. It's fine that you love it. It really is, but you no longer have ANY authority to tell anyone else that they're wrong if they don't think Frozen is as good as you think.

Do what makes you happy. Enjoy your Frozen as often as you possibly can. But know that you kind of don't have a say on Tangled if you don't even finish the movie.

I though the movie was decent, only decent. Its something that if its on I'll watch it. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it like I do with Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. I am also tired of Disney making CGI films instead of traditional animation, which has a different flavor. I also am getting extremely tired of Let it Go. Seriously, its everywhere. Its a good song and all but its not mind blowing, and we have certainly seen similar songs before. I am just getting tired of being bombarded with Frozen in every aspect of pop culture. I also think the soundtrack is disjointed in styles and doesn't flow right.
    Come Along, Pond!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by 1000thHappyHant View Post
    I though the movie was decent, only decent. Its something that if its on I'll watch it. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it like I do with Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. I am also tired of Disney making CGI films instead of traditional animation, which has a different flavor. I also am getting extremely tired of Let it Go. Seriously, its everywhere. Its a good song and all but its not mind blowing, and we have certainly seen similar songs before. I am just getting tired of being bombarded with Frozen in every aspect of pop culture. I also think the soundtrack is disjointed in styles and doesn't flow right.
    It's best to think of the soundtrack as an audition for future Disney employment - I stand firm in my conviction that Let It Go was a joke song originally where they just tried to stuff in as many show- and context-free showstopper crescendos in one song as humanly possible - then got told to stop fooling around and tried to hang a song on what was left.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 1000thHappyHant View Post

I agree with you 100% with the CG comment. It works for movies like Wreck-It Ralph that takes place in a digital environment. It works in Pixar movies where Cars or Bugs or Toys are the main characters.

Where it doesn't work as well are fairy tales like Tangled and Frozen. Tangled, an excellent film would look just jaw-dropping had it been hand drawn. Frozen, would be even more impressive than it is now had it been hand drawn. Heck, it might have actually been BETTER.

It's a shame that the company doesn't understand that these films were works of art and that was the magic of it. CG is nothing more than digital puppets. The real "art" is left off the finished product.

Films are first and foremost entertainment. People spend time admiring films for what they are beyond entertainment, but first and foremost, its the entertainment value that decides if a film is successful for not. Critics come up with all kinds of methodical ways to quantify if something is 'good' - but in doing so often fail to see the forest for the trees.
    Are you saying we shouldn't over-analyze a movie on a movie-specific message board?

I think I know what you mean, though. The first question should be "Did I enjoy it?". But I think when people don't enjoy it, they look for reasons why they didn't like it. I've done this time and time again with Star Wars (love it) and Twilight (hate it). Overanalyzing movies is just fun to do; it's really fun to be critical about all entertainment. I'm sure you're all familiar with that, being on a Disneyland forum.

My opinion of Frozen? It was fine. Kind of a mess, but I did enjoy it. But I was SHOCKED when I had discovered the following it picked up. I kept asking myself if these people saw the same movie I did. Echoing what others have said about weak story and characters, I felt like I was watching an episode of a series called "Frozen", and I came in mid-season.
    www.youtube.com/lundopictures

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Director_Guy View Post
    Are you saying we shouldn't over-analyze a movie on a movie-specific message board?
    No - saying that you shouldn't dislike a movie because you over analyzed it and then elevate your opinion of the movie as 'good or bad' above others who enjoy the same movie as just a movie.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast