View Poll Results: Do you think Frozen is Overrated?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • OMG YES

19 30.16%
  • NO - I love it, it's the best thing ever

12 19.05%
  • It's overrated but I still like it.

29 46.03%
  • I haven't seen it and don't plan to

3 4.76%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Frozen is Overrated

There. I said it. It's massively overrated.

And by definition, you cannot disagree, it really IS overrated. Here are the accomplishments:

-Best Animated Feature awards
    -Highest grossing Animated Film
    -Huge sales on soundtrack and home video
    -Long Lines at Disney Parks Meet & Greets
    -Countless video recreation
    -Dolls and costumes selling out everywhere

And there's no real explaining it. It's huge. It's massive. So many people LOVE this movie…. but it's not that good is it?

I think I know why.

The story is simple and easy to follow. There are no real bad guys and scary villains. Deaths (and life for that matter) are glossed over and pushed aside. It's fun and entertaining.

and...

It's just not horrible.

The marketing made it out to be one of the worst films ever made. Even today, I come across people that think the movie is about a talking snowman. Kids will drag their parents to see it, and parents will go "hey, that wasn't as bad as i was expecting" and will gladly take their kids to see it again.

But it's also not as good as people make it out to be. I know I'm not wrong. Frozen is a first draft of a movie and it needs a few more run throughs to make it perfect. I really just don't understand it I guess.

So what do you guys think? Overrated? Best movie ever? Agree? Why? Don't Agree? Why not? Spill it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Frozen is Overrated

I liked it. I have watched it twice now, both times at home. The snowman is definitely a great character. I don't understand the "over the top like" for Queen Elsa. I liked Anna better myself. The plot is a bit strange, that's for sure, and yes, I did figure out early on that Hans was a fraud. I enjoyed the music. However, I don't find myself humming it in the shower.

I am visiting Disneyland and WDW both in the near future, and no I will not spend endless hours in lines for photographs and autographs. If it happens, that's good, if not that's good as well.

Overrated? Yes, I think so, definitely. Although most likely in the minority for saying so.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I finally got around to watching it on Blu-ray at home. It's a good movie with a sound musical score with likable characters and a decent plot. But I wouldn't put it on a level with Mary Poppins, or even Sleeping Beauty. I will definitely watch it again.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

I would agree that Frozen has some story and character issues (I must be one of the very few people who finds Olaf irritating) but somehow makes up for it with some good visuals and music. I think Tangled is a better film story-wise and Frozen has better music. Beauty and the Beast however, imo is still the gold standard. It was the first animated film to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar and back then there wasn't a separate Oscar for animation.

• Goofy

yes very overrated and it was boring and story was weak. tangled is more better and music is great.

• keh!

Yes, yes, YES. It really is overrated. It'd odd to hear critics say "The best Disney animated film since, The Lion King." Umm, no, it doesn't even compare to The Lion King. The Lion King can Riverdance all over Frozen any time. It's a very weak story with weak musical numbers (Okay, "Let It Go" is nice.)

And that scene in the beginning when Kristoff and Sven are watching the trolls and that one troll says, "Cuties! I'm going to keep you!." Then realizing that they WERE raised by the trolls after all... Really?!? That's all it took? "I'm going to keep you!" Oh, okaaaaay.

I enjoy Frozen, yes. But that's not to say it's MASSIVELY overrated. An enjoyable movie, yes. Masterpiece? Not by a longshot.

I really wish the hype stopped after the singalong, but after that, it only got worse. I'm glad it's part of the Disney library, but Disney does have better movies. I'm a little irked that it surpassed Toy Story 3 as Disney's highest-grossing film, too.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Is it the best Disney animated film, no. However it is a good movie, and has great music. Much better than most of the animated stuff put out by all the studios over the last several years.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yes, I agree that Frozen is WAY overrated. I did see it once in the theater and did buy it on blu ray, and watched it once at home so far.

I was one of the few that liked the little cartoon short of Olaf and Sven, that was released a promo for the movie. To me, it was just a mini-cartoon short, just to introduce a couple of the characters, and enjoyed it. However, once I saw the movie, Olaf just became annoying, didn't like the character, his look for a snowman, didn't like the voice, and his song was horrible. On the other hand, Sven was likable, although it seemed as though the animators stole a good part of his personality from Maximus (Tangled) and Pegasus (Hercules), which explains why I became fond of Sven.

The Frozen main story, just was not that great, and did need some work, and the end needed work, too. The songs are even more overrated than the movie. The songs didn't win any awards at the Golden Globes, and then Disney turned up the advertising, and somehow ended up winning at the Academy Awards. Idena's song felt like they were just attempting to give her an animated moment along the lines of Wicked's "Defying Gravity" but I didn't care for any of the songs in Frozen at all.

Musically, Disney did better with the story and songs in Tangled and Princess and the Frog. I enjoyed the music from PatF MUCH more than Wicked on Ice, I mean Frozen.

• Heavy Breather

Even though I agree with the people who think that there are story problems (I think the death of the parents shouldn't have been glossed over, and I think Anna and Elsa should have had more interaction before the coronation), I'm in the majority that really really liked it.

I went to an early screening the day before wide release, there was no hype surrounding it, no crazy fan base, no Fanfiction..... I watched the film, walked out and said to myself, "Walt would've been proud". I've already gone on a tangent about the film in one of the threads about the female characters so I'll skip that here. The film exceeded my expectations beyond my wildest dreams.

The animation studio has been going strong since 2008, and this is the Lion King of this new Golden Age of Disney. Not sure if I would put it up there with Fantasia, Pinnochio, The Jungle Book, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, or even the Sword in the Stone as one of my favorites. But it is definitely a massive victory for the Walt Disney Animation Studios.

• Queen Elsa

No I don't think it's overrated I think it's the best Disney movie that I have ever seen infact it has beatting my number 1 favorite movie not number 2 movie Sleeping Beauty. Queen Elsa has beatting Belle out of my top 3 favorite Disney Characters with Aurora and Ariel on the top two. I never did like Lion King and never will see Repunzel send I never did like the classic story to begain with. I love all the songs but my 3 favorites to the movie of chouse is Let It Go and both verison of For The First Time In Forever. The only song I didn't care about is Demi's version of Let It Go. I don't have anything agaist Demi but to me her version I can't stand. The only characters I didn't like is the Trolls and that backstaper Hans. When it was at in theaters I saw it 3 times. I never see a movie at theaters more then 1 time and I already have seen it on my DVD 13 timesAnd will be watching it again tonight. Also once Stars puts it on there movie channel I will be watching it then as well. Here is a list of my top 5 favorite movies in order.

1. Frozen
    2. Sleeping Beauty
    3. Little Mermaid
    4. Brother Bear
    5. Beauty and the Beast.

I love this movie so much I got alot of stuff from the movie and still looking for more like the 20' Elsa plush doll that's been sold out. I just won last night on ebay Kristoff's Sleigh that comes with Kristoff,Anna,Sven & Olaf. And in July I'm getting the Jim Shore's Elsa & Anna figureine that I have put up for per-order. As soon as Funko shows the photos and per-orders go up I be getting the Elsa POP figure and a rumor 6'Marshmallow POP figure as well. So no I don't think it's overrated. Frozen and all 3 Back To The Future movies I watch more then any movie that I have seen or will see.

• Resident Adventurer

I personally really enjoyed the movie and don't agree with it being overrated. However, I agree with some folks in saying that there are definitely weak(er) points in the movie that could have been improved upon (King and Queen's death mainly as well as some more background info on Sven and Kristoff other than the fact that he was with villagers who made a living off of ice and then got raised by trolls**). I loved all of the songs. I really loved Sven, Olaf, and Elsa. This movie definitely got a good laugh out of me and there was never a moment where I thought I was wasting my money; it was a charming movie.

Maybe not quite on par with TLK, but it does set the standard for this current era of animated movies.

**Fun fact, in Danish mythology trolls were actually said to bewitch and kidnap wandering children.

*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧ Time until next Disney trip: *✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧*✲゚*。✧
    ???

I still don't understand how covering a kingdom in ice, whose main export is ice, would be considered a bad thing?

Also, that song at the beginning reminds me of a "We are cutting ice" version of the intro for Lilo and Stitch. (Hooray for Honest Trailers!)

• Pilot EdForceOne

Not overrated... the film resonates with so many.

Saw it, walked out not being shy to be willing to pay to see it again in the theater. Not something I'm very frequently willing to do.

I find most of the critics of the film to be way too into trying to academics instead of just sitting back and saying "Did it entertain you?"

My main grief with the film is I thought the music was kind of too contemporary/poppish - but I found the film to be enjoyable and it kept me engaged.

Recently I've been watching some other films and I think it holds up. After watching The Little Mermaid again tho this weekend.. I think I'm starting to be swayed in thinking it is the quintessential Disney Animated film... even if Beauty and the Beast has the technology lead on it and doesn't suffer from the same 'xerox' look Disney films of the 70s and 80s suffered with.

Frozen tho... I think it gets a bad rap from people who just don't want to just sit back and watch a movie.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Trying to stay away from spoilers here, so bear with me on ambiguity....The "twist" didn't seem genuine to me. I don't know how to explain it. The actions of the antagonist were kind of counterproductive to the antagonist's over arching goals. That was my biggest hang up. That, and "fixer upper." That said, I still dug it. It was, if nothing else, a solid installment to the library. One that has been slacking of late (Tangled aside).

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast