Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

“Well I’ll be… it’s the Blue Fairy!”

Greetings everyone, this is my first new post on this site although I’ve been a long time lurker. This site is one of two that have factored heavily in my wife and me planning several Disney vacations and staying on top of the latest news. I’ve finally felt like it was time to give back something to the community that has helped us so much.

I’ve got a bit of a confession. I LOVE WISHES! It’s no joke. I’m a 36 year old man who’s not ashamed to admit that a night standing in front of an illuminated multi-color concrete and steel castle while fireworks are popping over the top of classic Disney songs and characters speaking completely pulls my heartstrings and reduces me to a timeless child. The whole show is a 12 minute escape into the heart and soul of what makes Disney so special.

In preparing for Disney vacations, I would see many of the wonderful fireworks pictures that others would post and thought – what the heck, why don’t you take a try at capturing a few images. All it takes is a bit of preparation combined with the proper equipment and you can get really good results.

The problem was that I’m a bit of a perfectionist and I wasn’t just trying to get a “good result”. I wanted to get the perfect picture.

I started taking a tripod to the park with me and quickly found that although I like fireworks pictures, it was really Cinderella’s castle that is the star of the show. To me at least, the fireworks are always the “garnish” on top of the Castle in my pictures.

Although I love Wishes!, there are a couple of moments in the show that always move me. One of those moments is without a doubt the crowd pleasing “Arrival” of the Blue Fairy. Right after the dark forces have been lifted from the Castle and it fades from red and purple and goes to blue as Jiminy Cricket utters – “Well I’ll be… it’s the Blue Fairy”. I wanted to get this moment frozen in time.

The question was, what is it that I wanted to capture? I certainly liked the peacock feather like effect that shoots from behind the castle and I also liked the big blue bursts that immediately follow this moment. As I would take pictures in the park, some of the PhotoPass photographers and I would talk about fireworks photos and they would tell me that the Blue Fairy shot is the best one to get. I would ask them, which moment is that – the peacock feathers or the blue bursts? Pretty much all of them would say the feathers were the fairy. I couldn’t decide which photo I liked best, so then it dawned on me – why not get both in the same frame? This then became a quest for that “perfect” photo that lasted over five different vacations and at least ten attempts to photograph Wishes!

You see, fireworks photos are very temperamental. Wind can blow the bursts off target. At the Magic Kingdom, it’s even worse because you then can have wind blow smoke back in front of the Castle. You can also have misfires that can cause you to miss the one shot you are trying to capture. Crowds are another issue that can cause a problem as someone can block your view.

After all my efforts, the very last night of our last visit resulted in my quest for that perfect picture getting close enough that I can be satisfied with the results. This is my version of the Blue Fairy’s arrival:

http://picasaweb.google.com/JediMast...36920386822274
    *sorry Picasa embedded pictures don’t seem to work.

It’s not “perfect”. One of the fireworks on the left veered off path and a child is on her dad’s shoulders, otherwise blocking Mickey’s silhouette in the Partner’s statue. So, it’s not perfect. But, it’s close enough and besides – the fact that it’s not perfect is going to keep me trying again, and to get to watch that wonderful show many more times is a real wish come true.

Have any of you ever been obsessed in trying to get a perfect Disney moment captured on film?

• Defying gravity

Re: “Well I’ll be… it’s the Blue Fairy!”

First of all...

Welcome to Mice Chat!!!

Fantastic first post.

That is an absolutely GORGEOUS shot of Cinderella Castle. That is right on par with official Disney publicity shots. (And I wouldn't even have noticed the child on her parent's shoulders or other "errors" had you not pointed them out.) Are you a professional photographer?! I very much enjoyed the other shots in your Picasa album. I hope we will hear more from you and see more pictures!

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

What an awesome picture! Welcome.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Welcome, long time lurker JediMasterMatt, to the dark side.....ummm I mean MiceChat.

Great photos thanks for sharing them with us!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

GORGEOUS photo, wonderful capture! There are a few things that truly make me feel like a kid again and watching Wishes definitely does that for me.

Welcome to Mice Chat, the best first post I've read in a long time.

• Too far from Disney World

That is a FANTASTIC photo!

Welcome to Micechat!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Cool Re: “Well I’ll be… it’s the Blue Fairy!”

Welcome!!! The pictures were great! Just put them in Photoshop and then you can get the perfect picture.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

JediMasterMatt,
    What a brilliant photo of the Blue Fairy Arrival! It's simply gorgeous. Thanks for posting that here and for telling us about your quest to get this particular shot. Well done!!!

• Banned User

Fabulous picture.

However, in regards to the Blue Fairy... I have always wondered why they did not incorporate this character into the show in a more visual way. Would it kill them to at least offer a projection of the Blue Fairy on the castle similar to what they do with DLP's version of "Wishes"?

• MiceAge Columnist

The Blue Fairy *was* supposed to be in the show, I thought. Budget cuts at the last second, after audio was recorded, were the culprit.

There were supposed to be multiple character sliding down the Tink wire, such as the Genie and the Blue Fairy. Listen to the audio of the show, and you'll hear the distinct impression that we were supposed to just see the character. Even the phrase, "Well I'll be!" is part of that; the character was supposed to appear and slide down before the blue fireworks begin. What we have now is a lull in the show for no real reason.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterMatt View Post
    Have any of you ever been obsessed in trying to get a perfect Disney moment captured on film?
    Oh god yes. Weekly.

That is a really nice photo, btw.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Banned User

Hi Kevin... remember me?

This is the first time I hear of characters having been considered for appearances at the MK show.. Still, let's face it. How expensive could it be to add a few projections on the castle to bring these characters to life during the show (a la Paris)?

• MiceAge Columnist

Well, I'll be! It's the TDLFAN!!

[fireworks boom, TDLFAN slides down the wire, JediMasterMatt snaps a photo of it]

... and thus is born a new micechat thread!!

Seriously, though, the new projectors on the castle are nothing short of marvelous. The artists working them are not too shabby, either! I really think they could pull that off.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm glad everyone liked it. I just wanted to give something back to all of you that made our Disney trips so easy and special.

I did get a lot of requests for using this as a wallpaper. You certainly can; but, do yourself a favor and get yourself a large version that you can use to fit your screen at full quality. Here's a link to a 1920x1440, 2.56mb version: http://lh5.ggpht.com/JediMasterMatt1...20.jpg?imgdl=1

You can take this into any image editor and scale it to fit your screen perfectly.

If there are any other high resolution photos you'd like to have, just let me know and I'll add them to the site.

Re: the images projected on the castle. I've seen videos of Paris version of Wishes! and I'm not so sure that having more projections are needed. I like the idea of the Blue Fairy being represented by the blue firework bursts only. The specific burst in my picture is only featured at this moment in show. Four of 'em to be precise... yeah, I know... I've seen this show a few too many times.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm not a big fireworks person, but those shots are spectacular! I love the ones from up high of the castle and Tomorrowland. Where did you take those from? The Contemporary?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast