Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Disney parks alone?

Hi folks. I have a question for those brave souls who have spent a lot of time in Disney parks (you guessed it) alone (I never have). I went on two Disney trips with my g/f in the past year, and now she's giving me the ol' "been there, done that", even though she really enjoyed both trips. Since I'd like to go back to WDW this winter, I'm actually contemplating going for a week or two alone. Obviously, the pro would be that I could do whatever I want whenever I want, but the con might be that it would get lonely and a little depressing. So I'd like to hear from the aforementioned Micechatters with experience visiting the parks alone. Thanks!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Disney parks alone?

Disney alone is not a depressing experience at all. You'll be afforded the time and resources to really absorb the park in a very different light. You'll have the advantage of lingering just a bit longer to see the details, which people with a family of five hurrying through might just miss.

Do understand, traveling alone does sometimes get you some weird looks, but really, if you have the time, do it.

I ended up on a business trip and that's where I got the experience.

Talk to the CMs when they aren't busy. See the shows people tend to miss. And avoid the crowds by eating off-hours. Everyone eats from 11 to 1 for lunch. Go around that time and you'll hit empty seating and more relaxed staff.

Enjoy.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Going alone is a wonderful experience. You can stay at the hotel you want, eat where you want, and make your own schedule. The only time I felt weird was eating at a table service restaurant alone, but I wasn't the only one doing it, so it wasn't too bad.

I would suggest trying something new also that you might not do with others. I did the Dining with an Imagineer program at the Brown Derby and had a great time doing it! So maybe take a tour or visit some hotels, or something out of the realm of the theme parks.

Don't forget too, that if you time it right, you might fall into a MC Meet time, where at least for a day, you can hang with others too. But, alone or with other people, there still is a lot of magic and a lot of fun to be had in the parks.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

So far I spent 5 days at WDW alone, and I was married at the time, on another trip I spent 3 days alone when my friend left early, I have a 9 day trip booked for the last couple of days of Oct and first week of Nov. I have also done DL many times alone. The first time I was at WDW alone I got a little lonely at first but once I saw somme kid crying and the parents yelling at them that all went away. I wish my GF and her son could make this next trip but he cant miss school and I like that time of year in florida so I go alone. It is very nice when your by yourself, you can hit the parks early if you want and dont have to wait on anyone else getting ready, eat what you want when you want and do whatever you want. Like others said yoou can see things you might miss in a group and take your time. I always chat not only with the CM's but other guests, everyone is friendly at Disney parks, you will meet people from all over the world. When I'm eating if the place is busy I often have a table for four all to myself, if I see people looking for a place to sit and eat I motion for them to jion me, I have dined with lots of nice people. If I want to ride an attraction or see a show several times I get to do that also. Its very relaxing to go by yourself, you dont have to worry about making sure someone else is saticfied and happy, only yourself.

So if your Gf doesnt want to go book the trip to go alone and have fun.

Steve

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    You'll have the advantage of lingering just a bit longer to see the details, which people with a family of five hurrying through might just miss.

Do understand, traveling alone does sometimes get you some weird looks, but really, if you have the time, do it.

Talk to the CMs when they aren't busy. See the shows people tend to miss. And avoid the crowds by eating off-hours. Everyone eats from 11 to 1 for lunch. Go around that time and you'll hit empty seating and more relaxed staff.

Enjoy.

Peace,
    Roo
    Good advice.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Cake Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post

Don't forget too, that if you time it right, you might fall into a MC Meet time, where at least for a day, you can hang with others too. But, alone or with other people, there still is a lot of magic and a lot of fun to be had in the parks.
    If you scheduled your trip so you could attend a meet like yoyoflamingo suggests that would be a great way to be with people during your trip.

I go to the park alone and my friends do the samething when we can't meet up and we all have a great time even though we are alone.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

Having made many solo trips to Disneyland, I love it. Sure, it is a lot of fun to go with family and friends, but there's a lot to be said about doing whatever you want to, and not feeling like you're dragging somebody else along.

So have fun and don't worry about it.

• =)

You know, up till last September, all of my Disneyland trips had been with family and/or friends. Then the opportunity came up for me to go to Disneyland, but it'd have to be alone. I felt pretty weird about it, but so many people here seemed to enjoy it that I figured I'd give it a try. It truly is not depressing, sad, boring, or anything like that. I had a great time, and I did again during a few other solo visits throughout the year.

Going alone and going with a group are two very different beasts, but both are fun in their own ways. When I go alone, I try to take a very slow and relaxed feel. Like, to the extreme. I know I can do whatever I want and I don't have to worry about anyone else's ride priorities and food cravings and so forth. If I feel like riding something, I do it. If I feel like taking a break, I do it, and no one urges me to get up so we can do more stuff. It's very liberating. True, you don't consistently have anyone to talk to, but you can strike up conversations with other guests and even CMs. It's possible to do so without it being weird.

So I say go for it! It'll be a different experience, certainly. I love going with groups of loved ones and I always will, but there's a unique appeal to going by yourself, and you may be surprised at how much you enjoy it. Kinda spoils ya.

• Closed Account

I've spent some time in DL alone, but when you say "a week or two at WDW" that sounds like a long time to me. A few days alone are good fun, but I wonder if more than a week might get a bit lonely. You know what's right for you, but if it were me and I would try to find a friend to bring along.

• coco puff/chanel

Blog Entries

I have never been to Disneyland alone but since I have my annual pass I am seriously thinking about it. I would go on a Sunday and than meet up at noon with the micechatters, so technically I wouldn't be alone all day.

• Driver Your Turn Is Clear

Costa Mesa, CA - 10.33 Miles South of DLR

I have done many trips by myself to the DLR. For me the best part is I can walk as fast or as slow as I want. My wife is short so she usually yells if I walk too fast.

The biggest advantage to going solo are these three words:

SINGLE RIDER LINE

Find the rides that have these single rider lines and then use them to your advantage. My favorite has to be Splash Mountain. I don't think I have ever waited longer than 5 minutes to be seated... And it doesn't matter how long the standby line is.

Us these to your advantage and you can get a lot done in a short amount of time.

My only concern would be multiple days... The first day in each park (if you're headed to WDW) would probably be fine by yourself. But after that it might get a little lonely. But I like the ideas of trying things you normally wouldn't do! Maybe take some tours?

As much as I love to go alone, its always super wonderful to have someone you enjoy being around!!! So enjoy!
    Check out My Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 rides... I'm always working on another one... I hope they make you want to go to Disneyland.

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."
    ~Walt Disney~

• Banned User

Sometimes it can be very un-stressful by yourself. I always go with my parents, & then split off by myself for a couple of hours. I do what I want to do, at my own pace, & it can be very relaxing.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I used to go to the parks alot by myself, but when I'm with others. I'm too busy interacting with my friends and talking to them on rides and attractions that I really do seem to be missing the magic.

When I go by myself, I really take in all the details and magic that I can't get with my friends. I see things that I have never seen before and I can take my time doing the things I want to do. It really lets me appreciate the park alot more.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Go to Paradise Island. You'll never be lonely; chafed, but not lonely. Tell the g/f you went to WDW.

• 525,600 minutes...

three blocks from the happiest place on earth

i go to disneyland alone all the time! the cast mebers give me wierd looks sometimes, but hey, its still fun! and im just turning fourteen!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast