More Disney Villains?

I would like to see Disney market its Villains much more. I think Disney is missing the boat pertaining to the Disney Villains, and the appeal that they would have. Think about it, Disney does a great job marketing everything toward the positive characters from each story or movie. But where would the movie or story be without its villain? One could argue that the bad guy/girl makes the story what it is.

Presently there is one store, Villains in Vogue, in Disney’s Hollywood Studios that caters to the villains, by selling merchandise of various bad guys. For some reason people have always liked the bad guys, maybe it is a way to rebel, I am not sure.

The Disney marketing merchandise machine seems geared like this- loveable characters such as Mickey, Pooh and friends to toddlers, classic characters such as Mickey, Donald, and the seven dwarfs to adults and Hannah Montana to the tweens. I am a middle school teacher and can attest that many tweens do not like the Hannah Montana type shows. They are too cool for the toddler characters, but don’t want to be walking around in a Mickey Mouse T-shirt like their dad. Kids of this age are beginning to try to rebel a bit and experience some independence and here is where the villain market is.

The Disney Villains provide a nice combination for certain tweens. They get to wear a cartoon character on their chest, but it is a “cool” character to them, not some childish one. You may not think this is true, but I can verify after asking quite a few of my tween age students who like Disney. They want something they can identify with. I think Pirates of the Caribbean was an option, but not necessarily for girls.

The good thing about marketing the villains is that there are both boy and girl villains that kids can associate with. Think about having a roller coaster for grown-ups featuring Jafar, Maleficent, and Ursula. What about a tame dark ride for youngsters featuring Cruella De Vil, Captain Hook, and Syndrome? They could have a character meal using various characters set in a darker dungeon type building, but still mild enough as to not scare the younger children.

Just think of all of the Disney movies and the villains for each movie. This is such an untapped resource that I think Disney is missing the boat. The options seem limitless to me, what are your thoughts?

• Rear Window=Best Movie

Re: More Disney Villains?

I would die for anything Cruella! She's been my fav and always will be.

• Oo-de-lally

This is a great topic. I agree with this 100 %. I really wish that Disney would put out a lot more merchandise featuring the villains of Disney. I was at DLR this past Sunday and I saw a guest wearing a great Captain Hook shirt. My friend asked where he got it and he said it was a gift but he thought they bought it from the park. We asked so many different CM about the shirt and they sent us to every different store in the whole park. One CM even said to check the Once Upon A Time shop (a shop for Disney princess apparel). I would like to see the villains on more shirts, mugs, hats, jackets, antenna balls, etc.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Defying gravity

I agree that there is at least a need for more villains themed merchandise. I think they already closed Villains Lair store in DL. This is an example of how Disney keeps taking the uniqueness out of their merchandise.

• 1962 - 2007

I agree too.
    Big Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck fan!

"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
    --Walt Disney

Can't wait for our first ever, big 2009 family Disney World and Disney Cruise trip!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I absolutely agree, I don't think the villains get enough coverage at all. I believe they have just as big of fan base as the Fab 5, I mean just look at the Evil Queen and Maleficent!

As far as Villains in Vogue at DHS, it "used" to be a good store, ever since they cut it in half, put in a fudge shop and plastered the Pirates and Nightmare Before Christmas everywhere I haven't been back much.

That isn't to say they don't have nice things there but I really remember the variety that existed when it first opened. I miss that.

• and too all a good fright

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    I absolutely agree, I don't think the villains get enough coverage at all. I believe they have just as big of fan base as the Fab 5, I mean just look at the Evil Queen and Maleficent!

As far as Villains in Vogue at DHS, it "used" to be a good store, ever since they cut it in half, put in a fudge shop and plastered the Pirates and Nightmare Before Christmas everywhere I haven't been back much.

That isn't to say they don't have nice things there but I really remember the variety that existed when it first opened. I miss that.
    Agreed. I miss what villains in vogue used to be. The last time I remeber a large push of villains themed merchandise was about 15 years ago.