Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Question WDW 35th Anniversary Question

I am planning a trip to WDW for the anniversary week in October 2006(the anniversary is October 5th, I believe).
    I know it's early, but does anybody know of any plans for WDW's 35th?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: WDW 35th Anniversary Question

Although nothing official has been planned, I doubt anything major will happen. Just a few months before, EE will have opened and HCoE lasts basically until the end of the year. Add that to the fact that Epcot's 25th (a much more important milestone) is just a year later. So there will most likely be no celebration (because it would only be 10 months long). Most likely, there will be a new show in that timeframe, but not much else (also, maybe some merchandice, but not a lot). This is just what I think will happen.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Mike is right. Disney marketing/PR's next bigtime sales job will be Epcot's 25th anniversary.

Well, I'm still going! It'll be a blast either way!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Mike is right. Disney marketing/PR's next bigtime sales job will be Epcot's 25th anniversary.
    Why would the EPCOT 25th anniversary be more important that celebrating the MK's 35th? I wish for once they copied TDR and celebrated each park's important anniversary *within* the park celebrating the milestone with a smaller celebration, rather than an all-around property big celebration for just one park. It would certainly add more alure to some guests to repeat their visits... I just dont' understand this... They have celebrated each important milestone anniversary since the 10th thru the 25th... and totally forgot the 30th (just a pin and tee shirts) and now ditching the 35th as well....?

• Disney Memory Maker

A) 25th Anniversaries (aka Silver Anniversaries) are always much larger and important thatn 35th Anniversaries (aka ....Coral Anniversaries)
    B) It would get clipped off by both HCOE (ends at the end of 2006) and Epcot's 25th (which would probably start in October 2007)

Personally, I'd rather them save their money go big for Epcot's 25th. Epcot's previous celebration (millenium) was one of the biggest, bestest and most memorable one they've had...and I think this would be the perfect celebration to top that.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

^^^Good points above.

But it also comes down to the fact that they want to 'reinvent' Epcot and push up attendance. They don't need to even clean and maintain the MK for droves of tourists to show up,and they don't want to take away from the Happiest Marketing Campaign on Earth to start celebrating the MK's 35th when there isn't as much as a new parade on the horizon, let alone a major attraction.

• Sock Puppet

""They don't need to even clean and maintain the MK for droves of tourists to show up""

True THAT! Thats why WDW will NEVERhave a DL style revolution.

The option of visitin WDW in April 2006 with my daughters choir has now arisen. Considering the weather, which would you recommend: WDW in April or October?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• I love Florida - and lamp

Definitely October... weather's much better than the spring, and you'll have the parks pretty much to yourself. April's right in the depths of spring break, and it rains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by OTownGuy
    ""They don't need to even clean and maintain the MK for droves of tourists to show up""

True THAT! Thats why WDW will NEVERhave a DL style revolution.
    Sadly, as we've had this discussion many times, that's true.

Had dinner (quite good actually) at Cindy's last night, but couldn't help but look down and notice how filthy the carpeting was (looks like it might have been replaced 15 years ago), especially on the spiral stairs.

Then walking out at closing there was trash/garbage all over the Hub and Main Street. Yep, guests are pigs. Yes, they leave burger baskets in the walkways mere feet from the trashcans. Yes, on an August Saturday night the MK is busy. None of that changes the fact that WDW and Phil Holmes do a miserable job of keeping the park clean. Folks last view up Main Street shouldn't be one with garbage strewn all over the place because they choose to NOT clean up between SpectroMagic and Wishes.

Before eating we went to see PhilHarMagic. This attraction just seems to keep suffering from problems. First we had armrests that were old and peeling. That made it into the O-Sentinel and Disney fixed it. Then the seats were so cheap, the cushions were tearing. Someone bitched online and it got fixed. Now, the carpeting is filthy and last night in ONE row, I counted 11 water/Coke bottles left on the floor. They really need to either clean up after the pigs, I mean guests, OR screw ODV and not allow any food or drink in queues.

Finally, I got a nasty response from a Main Street merchandise manager when I explained to my guests how they took the Penny Arcade out for an Athletic Shop and then got rid of all the memorobilia, followed by all the ESPN merchandise, followed by most athletic clothing. He didn't seem to like my attitude. I thought he might want to get a job at WalMart ... and he wasn't a low-level type. For all I know, he could have been in charge of Main Street merchandise as he tried to explain that the ESPN merchandise 'is special so we save it for our locations on the Boardwalk at ESPN Club at Team Mickey's at DD. Guess he didn't see the ESPN shirts at the BVG at the Contemporary that I did. He also didn't have an answer as to why the first display when you enter his shop is themed to Pirates of the Carribbean ... like I said, WDW management is awful.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    last night in ONE row, I counted 11 water/Coke bottles left on the floor. They really need to either clean up after the pigs, I mean guests, OR screw ODV and not allow any food or drink in queues.
    It is improbable to clean up between shows. (to borrow a phrase from Jim Hill...) Why for? The show is continuous. There is only a certain amount of time they can get people seated before the show automagically starts (when the show is over, you hear goofy immediately saying something like "for all those leaving, please don't forget your personal belongings...and for all those coming in, pick a row and move all the way down). If they cleaned up between shows, they'd have to reset the whole system (which would cause more problems than it would solve).

-Michael

^^^Mike, you're making excuses. You'd make a good future exec. Before Disney decided that ODV profits were more important than quality show and cleanliness, you couldn't bring any food or drink into attractions. Period. There were no problems with trash being left behind like at the local AMC Theater.

And you simply don't have custodial CMs walk the queues at WDW and clean constantly. You still do at DL. And it makes a HUGE difference.

People may be pigs. But Walt always knew if you allowed one person's mess to remain, you'd be condoning others to act the same way. Today, that's the way Al Weiss, and definitely Phil Holmes (because the MK is by far the dirtiest WDW park) choose to run their parks.

• keep moving forward...

yeah... and im sure all of us want the epcot globe to be turned into a giant cake... may i remind you what happened with magic kingdoms 25?

• Classic Animation

WDW opened October 1, 1971.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast