Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EMH's ... gee do you think folks like em?

Just spent the night in the MK (a miserable humid, typical summer night) and got to enjoy the 9-midnight hours for resort guests.

It makes you wonder if someone at Disney who monitors these type of forums finally got it in their heads that many people actually do enjoy staying out late in theme parks, especially in the summertime.

I, personally, find it very interesting that the Orlando Sentinel was looking into writing a story about the old E-Ride Night ripoffs thatDisney ran from 1997-2004 when Disney suddenly decided to stop that program and offer the EMH's at night, something many of us have been pushing for (I wrote about this many, many times on LaughingPlace.com before I was asked not to post because I was too harsh on Disney.)

Anyway, the park was loaded with folks having a good time at night. It was great to do Peter Pan, PhilharMagic, Small World and Haunted Mansion all in the last hour alone.

Reminded me of the old days ... when the MK was open until either midnight or 1 a.m. EVERY night in the summer for EVERY guest with EVERY attraction running.

The only sour note of the whole evening was listening to Michael Bolton, who has the talent of a lima bean, warble 'A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes' over and over again on some huge stage they set up in Town Square. Have no idea what it was being taped for. Knowing Disney, it might be for the Christmas Parade. Anyone know? Any CMs?

And while the park appeared well-kempt, it was after 8 when I arrived and dark. And the area by the Dole Whip stand was filthy (people are such pigs, why walk six feet to a trash can when you can leave your trash on a table, right?) until a manager-type began cleaning the area herself. I also noticed lots of trash (napkins, bottles, brochures) on the walkways to the monorail station.

Re: EMH's ... gee do you think folks like em?

I was also there last night and loved every second of it. I can't believe it took Disney so long to realize people love staying out late in the parks. Unfortunatly I also got stuck listening to crapy Bolton. He was actually there preforming for a PBS telethon that they were tapping for. Glad you had as much fun as me.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I actually prefer the early entry in the morning, to the extra time at night. Nothing beats a quiet park in the morning. I would rather have that then a crowded park in the evening. At the end of a long day, I am too tired to really get much joy out of a few extra rides in the dark.

Even when the park is open til Midnight they have the extra magic hours. There have been times when with the Extra Magic Hours you could stay in the Magic Kingdom until 3 am. Is THAT late enough for you.

I remember the old days too when the park was open to Midnight every night. In fact one of the brochures we got before leaving form our travel agent showed Main Street USA at night with the castle there all lit up in white lights (which I still perefer over this changing color scheme) and across the top the brochure states Magic til Midnight. We always bypassed the first run of Main Street Electrical parade until the second because it seemed like everyone caught that parade so the lines were shorter on all the E ticket rides. We caught the later parade and by the time that was over the park was pretty empty. Most people with small kids left after the fireworks anyway.

I say do away with fast passes (my second biggest pet peeve of Disney today)
    reopen the parks until midnight especially during the summer
    get rid of those SUV sized strollers (my BIGGEST pet peeve)

• Former CM

When I do get the chance to go to WDW I'd rather the park stay open late at night compared to coming in early. Why? Because I'm coming from the west coast and an 8 am opening is 5am for me. Having the park stay open late really helps since it gives me more time when I could really use it.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I wrote about this many, many times on LaughingPlace.com before I was asked not to post because I was too harsh on Disney.
    Hey, you've been too harsh on me for years, but did I ask you to stop posting? NOOOOOOOOOO.

The only place where the late hours don't work for me is in Epcot. As you might remember, my habit is to have a nice dinner in Epcot, enjoy a martini or 3 at the Rose & Crown, watch IllumiNations in front of the Canada pavilion, light up a fine stogie, and enjoy walking counter clockwise around the World Showcase Lagoon. By the time I hit Japan I've pretty much got the place to myself, which is a really cool vibe. And by the time I get around to the parking lot, all the cars are gone & I can enjoy a leisurely drive back to my hotel.

Evening EMH hours at Epcot screws that up for me. How rude of Disney to allow all those other people into MY park during those hours!! I still like the morning hours at the MK, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso11
    I was also there last night and loved every second of it. I can't believe it took Disney so long to realize people love staying out late in the parks. Unfortunatly I also got stuck listening to crapy Bolton. He was actually there preforming for a PBS telethon that they were tapping for. Glad you had as much fun as me.
    A telethon?!?!?!?!

Well, I guess that makes sense. I'd pay money to get him to stop singing!

And, yes, I did have a great time (other than the humidity). I am a night owl and no Disney PR spin is going to convince me that closing at 8 or 9 p.m. is 'extended hours.'

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    I actually prefer the early entry in the morning, to the extra time at night. Nothing beats a quiet park in the morning. I would rather have that then a crowded park in the evening. At the end of a long day, I am too tired to really get much joy out of a few extra rides in the dark.
    Some people are morning folks, I dig that. But many others are night owls -- especially on vacation. Seems crazy to be getting out of bed at 5, 6 or 7 a.m. on VACATION! But everyone's different.

The problem has been that when Disney started vigorously cutting park hours in the late 90s, it was the night hours that disappeared. I didn't enter the MK until 8 p.m. last night and did basically everything I wanted by midnight. Tonight I was at Epcot from 6 p.m. until 11:45.

Judging by the crowds, I wasn't alone. It was great to be viewing the American Adventure at 10 p.m. with the audience 3/4ers filled. Great to ride Soarin at 11 with a 30 minute wait. Great to see that Brad Rex and the PR spinners read forums like this and have decided that maybe some of us (like me) know what we are talking about (and would make GREAT theme park consultants) when we say if you leave the restaurants and shops open, people will spend. I would say a good 3/4ers of Epcot is now open for EMH's at night. That's great.

Just a shame most people who visit are clueless as to the good, old days when all of EPCOT Center was regularly open until 11 or midnight for all guests.

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr
    Even when the park is open til Midnight they have the extra magic hours. There have been times when with the Extra Magic Hours you could stay in the Magic Kingdom until 3 am. Is THAT late enough for you.
    That is great. I have heard they did that, but I haven't been at the MK at those times. Suppose I shouldn't mention how the MK was open on weekends until 2 a.m. during summers in the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr
    I say do away with fast passes (my second biggest pet peeve of Disney today)
    reopen the parks until midnight especially during the summer
    get rid of those SUV sized strollers (my BIGGEST pet peeve)
    Amen ... on both counts!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Hey, you've been too harsh on me for years, but did I ask you to stop posting? NOOOOOOOOOO.
    Dan, you know I'm only harsh on the people I really care about![/QUOTE]

The only place where the late hours don't work for me is in Epcot. As you might remember, my habit is to have a nice dinner in Epcot, enjoy a martini or 3 at the Rose & Crown, watch IllumiNations in front of the Canada pavilion, light up a fine stogie, and enjoy walking counter clockwise around the World Showcase Lagoon. By the time I hit Japan I've pretty much got the place to myself, which is a really cool vibe. And by the time I get around to the parking lot, all the cars are gone & I can enjoy a leisurely drive back to my hotel.

Evening EMH hours at Epcot screws that up for me. How rude of Disney to allow all those other people into MY park during those hours!! I still like the morning hours at the MK, tho.
    Actually, Dan, my only 'bad' experience of my trip came at the Rose and Crown tonight. It was a surprise because I've been there many, many times and all were good. The food was wonderful, but we were stuck at a table that had been shoehorned in and had no business being there. Folks were constantly bumping into us as we tried to eat. Worse, our server was disinterested and the manager was ... well, let's just say I don't have the best track record with obnoxious, condescending British men (yes, that was a LaughingPlace reference).

But Epcot was wonderful tonight. Folks having a good time. Lights on. Music playing. Atmosphere. A great breeze with Katrina hitting two hundred miles to the south. Hopefully, my house didn't blow/float away tonight!

My only experiences with EMH were in early May... when there was NO ONE THERE. Especially at Epcot... a major rainstorm came in right before IllumiNations... emptied out the park pretty well. It was almost creepy riding Imagination alone and Spaceship Earth was so empty we couldn't see anyone in front of or behind us the whole way! Walked right on to M:S and Test Track. Soarin' wasn't available for EMH at that time.

My big peeve with EMH is I don't really think fastpasses are necessary. I think that's pretty silly if you ask me.

And with the whole morning vs. evening debate... there's just something completely magical about WDW at night... I'd rather have 3 extra hours under the stars than one extra bleary eyed morning hour any day!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainfully
    My big peeve with EMH is I don't really think fastpasses are necessary. I think that's pretty silly if you ask me.
    I completely agree with this! I was there for the very first nighttime EMH tests done last year in May and was able to fill out an online questionnaire about the events afterward. The fastpass problem was my only complaint about the EMH nights.

The problem was especially bad at Disney-MGM Studios where people were really only there during EMH for two attractions - Rock 'n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. Thanks to FP, I was able to ride these two side-by-side attractions all of two times each during the entire 3 hours. It really became ridiculous during the last wait for RnRC when the stand-by line was at a complete standstill for 10-15 at a time while the CM waited for a certain quota of FP holders to arrive before she could allow more stand-by's through. Of course, the answer to this in retrospect would have been to get a fastpass earlier in the evening (which had all been given out by this time), but considering E-Ride Nights never used the FP system, it was a surprise to see it being employed and so strictly adhered to during EMH.

I'm disappointed to hear that they are still using FP during EMH over a year later. Considering that the crowds are so limited during EMH's anyway, it seems like just a nuisance and a waste of time to be using a reservation system and artificially slowing down the stand-by line during a time when every attraction should really just be a near walk-on anyway. Hopefully they've adjusted the FP to stand-by ratio by this time, if nothing else.

• Been there-Doing it again

Umm Dan, next time you do this say hello to my wife and I. We'll be the other two people that you are sure you've seen every time doing the same thing. I love that time in the World Showcase and the no hassle exit.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Look for me in early December - I'll be the chubby slightly balding guy with the fine cigar held low so as to not inconvenience anyone!

• Disney Memory Maker

I thought it was fun staying in the park until 2am, but I definately wouldn't call it EMH. I'd call it an extra 3 hours open. When I think of EMH, I think of an empty (or lightly crowded park). These 3 hours though are always crowded (one of the DMGM nights, I only got to ride RnRC because of the crowds).

However, there was only one time I was actually disappointed and that was Voyage of the Little Mermaid. One night, I had a FastPass for ToT that started at 1am. It was around 12:30 and I already did Muppets and I new I would never make ToT if I went on RnRC...so I decided to see VotLM. Well, I guess that night (or possibly every EMH night) the regular cast goes home when the park first closes. So instead of having a real singer on stage as arial, they just had a look a like up there and she lip-synched to the movie-ariel's singing. Besides the fact that this was so fake, the person was a terrible lip-syncher. So long story short, don't go to VotLM during EMH unless you want a lip singing show.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast