Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New E-Ticket looks ready ...

...yep. I'm naturally talking about Pooh's McPlayground that appears ready to greet the stroller brigade where the Nautilus once dove 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. From the sneak peek I got, it appears to be of the quality of the displays you used to get at the Disney Stores, when Disney owned them and cared.

I have no interest whatsoever in this new 'attraction.' Uhm ... isn't Toontown Faire for the brats?

• Minion

Re: New E-Ticket looks ready ...

Obviously you don't have kids! I agree that it stinks that they got rid of 2K Leagues - it sounds very interesting, but was gone before my first visit to WDW.

Since I can't bring back 2K Leagues, which I'd much rather have, I'm hoping to take advantage of the new Pooh thingie and let our "brats" run around and blow some energy off while us weary parents get a chance to take a break.

I thought Walt first built Disneyland so that parents and kids could have fun together. The way the current managers think, lets build a playground so the kids can play and the parents can watch, hmmm sounds like what Walt did when his girls rode the Merry Go Round and he sat on the bench watching and thinking about building such a place.

I think playgrounds like this in Pooh thing, is for the city parks not a theme park that's costing a family hundreds of dollars to get into. And another thing, if people would make their kids walk instead of renting those SUV sized strollers maybe the kids wouldn't need to blow off extra energy because they've been sitting all day and you parents wouldn't be so weary since you haven't been pushing your kids around all day in those things.

If the kid is old enough to walk, you don't need a stroiller. When they get tired, you take a rest. If your kids can't spend the day in the theme park without a stroller, they really have no business being there.

My brother brought my niece and nephew down , (ages 4 and 5). We did not get a stroller and they walked. When they got tired we went back to the hotel for a nap and swam in the pool, or stopped and had a late lunch or early dinner in a table service restaurant which had us sitting for at least 90 minutes. After dinner, they were re-energized and we went back to the park and spent the rest of the day. They were very happy, and at the end of the day fell asleep as soon as we got back to the hotel. While at the park we saw kids older and bigger than them in strollers.
    Last edited by ti2gr; 08-25-2005 at 06:12 AM.

• Banned User

Quite frankly...Pooh's stinky playground DISGUSTS ME

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr
    I thought Walt first built Disneyland so that parents and kids could have fun together. The way the current managers think, lets build a playground so the kids can play and the parents can watch, hmmm sounds like what Walt did when his girls rode the Merry Go Round and he sat on the bench watching and thinking about building such a place.

I think playgrounds like this in Pooh thing, is for the city parks not a theme park that's costing a family hundreds of dollars to get into. And another thing, if people would make their kids walk instead of renting those SUV sized strollers maybe the kids wouldn't need to blow off extra energy because they've been sitting all day and you parents wouldn't be so weary since you haven't been pushing your kids around all day in those things.

If the kid is old enough to walk, you don't need a stroiller. When they get tired, you take a rest. If your kids can't spend the day in the theme park without a stroller, they really have no business being there.

My brother brought my niece and nephew down , (ages 4 and 5). We did not get a stroller and they walked. When they got tired we went back to the hotel for a nap and swam in the pool, or stopped and had a late lunch or early dinner in a table service restaurant which had us sitting for at least 90 minutes. After dinner, they were re-energized and we went back to the park and spent the rest of the day. They were very happy, and at the end of the day fell asleep as soon as we got back to the hotel. While at the park we saw kids older and bigger than them in strollers.
    In a perfect world, I might agree with you. In this world, not all kids are created equal and some can walk more than others, take heat and humidity better than others etc. and strollers are sometimes a better option than not. To say that kids shouldn't be in the theme parks if they need a stroller is not realistic. If it was, then theme parks wouldn't have stroller rentals, would they?

Also, as far as what I said about "weary" parents, perhaps I should clarify this: Part of the weariness is being tired of walking and a larger part of it is needing a break from constantly having to watch the kids. Stroller or no stroller, it's nice to have a break from making sure your kids don't run off or get lost in the crowd. There is something to be said about having a place where kids can just run loose without having to be constantly watched.

I guess what I was attempting to do in my original post (and obviously failed at) was to make something positive out of what I feel is a bad move by Disney management. I would much rather have a good ride there than that silly park. Given that we're not going to get 20K Leagues, why not take advantage of what is there? Like my 6 year old says, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

• Disney Memory Maker

This area is temporary...which can mean one of two things...
    A) The area stays temporary while imagineers cook up some ideas for attractions (an eticket and some smaller rides) to replace this in the long term
    or
    B) The area becomes immensly popular (like Toontown & FotLK did) and becomes permanent/semi-permenant.

Personally, I think the first option will happen.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    This area is temporary...which can mean one of two things...
    A) The area stays temporary while imagineers cook up some ideas for attractions (an eticket and some smaller rides) to replace this in the long term
    or
    B) The area becomes immensly popular (like Toontown & FotLK did) and becomes permanent/semi-permenant.

Personally, I think the first option will happen.

-Michael
    I hope you're right and it does stay temporary! I may take advantage of the area as a rest stop, but that doesn't mean I'll like it.

I have heard from people who would know that Pooh's McPlayground is the only thing going on that land for a long time.

And for the stroller brigade ... and lazy parents pushing fat 8-year-olds and leaving them blocking the bridge from Main Street to Adventureland or abandoning them under the Train Station ... well ... nah it's too late to tell the truth (which will insult so many) and I have better things to do.

anyone have pictures of it

the only pictures I've seen so far show some decent theming and a few slides

for some reason I expected this to have a few more "Disney" ish things in it to make it differen't from your everyday playground (and perhaps a notch above the playgrounds behind mcdonalds )

I mean look at Toontown at Disneyland were kids can run all around donalds boat and have buttons to push and things to find and then if I remeber right MGM had those boxes for kids to lift up and hear funky sounds and such

at least from what I've seen of this Pooh playground it seems to have nothing of that

it's decently themed I suppose but the natureish theme throwsback to some other natureish themed standarized playgrounds I've seen elsewere

hopefully it'll have more unique sounds and interactiveness somewere

even with a playground I'd like DIsney to "Disneyfy" it I mean look at Tom Sawyer Island with the fort and all

• ROFLCOPTER

I saw theme putting 'leaves' on it while I was there. Maby they will make a Mattahorn there?
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

• Banned User

with everest in AK.. no Mattahorn is needed for WDW..

I am thinking this won't leave... as many times something temporary becomes permanent... but why a playground in Fantasyland and not Toon Town.... where it would make more sense...

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    with everest in AK.. no Mattahorn is needed for WDW..

I am thinking this won't leave... as many times something temporary becomes permanent... but why a playground in Fantasyland and not Toon Town.... where it would make more sense...
    probably to help justify the destruction of the attraction remains which were probably costing Disney a bit of money to keep filled with water

• Minion

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT...this is a NEW ATTRACTION...a delight to ALL...a brand new "CHARACTER EXPERIENCE..."

My thought...they invested so much in this area (it DOESN'T seem temporary...at least from what I've seen), are they really planning to demolish it anytime soon?

• Disney Memory Maker

It is incredibly temporary (at least the parts that are not walled off). The theming is enough so that it looks Hundred Acre Wood-like...but little enough so that it can be taken down over night. The only part that would take more than one night to deconstruct is the tree...and even that doesn't look like it would take long to take down.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Self Congratulative

Temporary? Umm.. I think that depends on what you consider "Temporary." I mean sure anything can be demolished and therefore "Temporary," but Pooh's playground is anything BUT something that can be taken apart overnight.

First, mass amounts of electrical wiring, speakers, lights, sensors, and controls have been installed throughout. Getting rid of this is costly, and time consuming.

Second, Under all of that themeing is a mass amount of steel I-Beams and metal framework. Over that framework is chickenwire and mesh that is covered with faux rockwork and concrete a-la-tree of life. You have at least two weeks work for the latter, and who knows how long breaking welds and unriveting for the former.

And let's just not assume that they're going to take care of the other theme elements placed on the outside of the structure, not to mention the reinforced concrete that had to be specially poured.

Temporary is hardly the word to be used. Pooh's Magical Garden or something like that would have been what I would call temporary. Building something that scale with the purpose of tearing it down in a bit is just wasting money.

If you have hard evidence that it is temporary then please bring it forward, otherwise, you're just causing false hope.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast