Thread: Ride Question

• Too far from Disney World

Ride Question

I have a question on Rock n Roller Coaster, Test Track and Mission Space. I have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and when I get nervous my heartrate goes up. But I've heard these are some of the best ride attractions in the parks. How intense are they? Are they similar to other rides in the park with speed and such?

I know for Mission Space, if I decide to ride, go with the green one. I rode Everest, Space Mountain, ToT last year with no problem (was just really nervous before). I'm just scared I'll get on them and not be able to get my heartrate back down! But my boyfriend loves coasters and I'd like to be able to ride with him. Any info would be great!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Defying gravity

Re: Ride Question

Quote Originally Posted by FantasticDuck View Post
    I have a question on Rock n Roller Coaster, Test Track and Mission Space. I have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and when I get nervous my heartrate goes up. But I've heard these are some of the best ride attractions in the parks. How intense are they? Are they similar to other rides in the park with speed and such?

I know for Mission Space, if I decide to ride, go with the green one. I rode Everest, Space Mountain, ToT last year with no problem (was just really nervous before). I'm just scared I'll get on them and not be able to get my heartrate back down! But my boyfriend loves coasters and I'd like to be able to ride with him. Any info would be great!

I think the main problem with Mission: Space is claustrophobia. You really are in a very, very tight, enclosed space. I really couldn't see you having any problems with Test Track. Although it's a bit jerky, I really think it's overrated as being a huge thrill, because I have always found it quite tame. I have never been on Rock n Roller Coaster, but it does go upside down in the dark. Obviously you have been on Space Mountain in the dark, but Rock n Roller Coaster is obviously much more intense.

You might try waiting in the queue of these attractions and waiting people get on the vehicles and see how you feel about that. There are always emergency exits to get off of.

I looked for some sort of guide about GAD and WDW but didn't seem to come up with anything. I think the best thing to do would be to seek advice from those with this disorder. Best of luck.

If you can ride Everest and Tower of Terror, I think you should have no problem with Rock N' Roller Coaster and especially Test Track, which is hardly a thrill ride. Mission: Space is not terribly intense in my opinion, but it is very cramped and does lead to pretty frequent freak-outs.

• Why can't you tune a fish

I am not familar with GAD, but you said "when I get nervous my heartrate goes up". So it seems to me that keeping you calm is the key.

None of these rides have any sort of real prolonged "cliffhangers" on them. There are some "suprize!" type moments, but nothing that, in my opinion, are long protracted nerve wracking times, except of course for the queus.

They are all fun enjoyable rides, and really offer nothing to get nervous about. Of course if curing nervousness was as simple as telling someone "dont be nervous" then life would be easy.

I think you should call it day by day. If you are feeling calm/brave and the line is short (so you dont have time to work youself up) then go for it.

-dave
    Last edited by Phonedave; 07-31-2008 at 05:40 PM.
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Banned User

TOT is more intense than any of the three you mentioned. You should be able to handle the Orange team on Mission: Space, too. Just follow the "rules" to avoid a dizzy spell: look straight ahead at all times, and don't close your eyes.