Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

An Idea to fix 2 Unpopular Attractions

Just saw "Aloha E Komo Mai!" from Tokyo Disneyland, which is a new version of the Enchanted Tiki Room with Stitch. It's really good. Stitch looks great and is a natural fit for the Tiki theme, unlike the current "Under New Management" which is one of Disney's biggest mistakes.

There's been a lot of debate about bringing back the original show, and I'm with the camp that believes it would play to very empty crowds. I like that the original show isn't gone forever as it will probably continue to live on for many years at Disneyland. I believe in having variety between the two kingdoms, and I think they should say goodbye to Zazu and Iago and bring in Stitch.

Except...we already have a Stitch attraction over at Tomorrowland, one that's not very popular. And here's how we fix that.

"Escape From The Axiom with Wall-E and Eve"

Turn those uncomfortable harness chairs into (pseudo) hover-chairs. The attraction starts with us sitting back staring at virtual screens telling us about Axiom comforts like "cupcke in a cup" when all of a sudden we get an image of 2 renegade robots.

There's a laser gun blast above us and in "flies" Eve. (Eve will be controlled by a pair of intersecting wires so she can fly around. This Spider-Cam technology already exists and is used in films and sporting events.) She's trying to get the plant to the center stage where the analyzer will return the ship to Earth. Wall-E pops up by the analyzer and tries to help, along with M-O. But Auto tries to stop them. The video screens up above? That's where the Captain gives his orders.

And we get a show that actually BELONGS in Tomorrowland.

• Geoff London

Re: An Idea to fix 2 Unpopular Attractions

Terrific idea figmentgoofy but I'd still rather have the original Alien Encounter back. It only closed because parents couldn't heed warnings about it being scary for younger kids. So they had to sanitize it. As for Stitch spitting on people - well, that was a real doozy. And adding Wall.E as a major ride / attraction takes us further down the Pixar-land route!

As for Tiki rooms -I've never liked it -original or new management. Just not my thing. Iknow many like it - but notme.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    As for Stitch spitting on people - well, that was a real doozy.
    I never understood how people get so freaked out and up in arms about this.

WDW has animals sneezing on you, shaking off on you, bug spitting acid at you, and whole host of other things. Anybody who does know know its water is just clueless. So the end of the hose it in the mouth of a fake space alien, as opposed to in the mouth of a fake camel. How does that make a difference ?

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote Originally Posted by figmentgoofy View Post
    Just saw "Aloha E Komo Mai!" from Tokyo Disneyland, which is a new version of the Enchanted Tiki Room with Stitch. It's really good. Stitch looks great and is a natural fit for the Tiki theme, unlike the current "Under New Management" which is one of Disney's biggest mistakes.
    While I am not a fan of Under New Management, I dont particulary want to see Stich there either. How about an attraction that stands on its own merits, without a character tie in (that will in effect date the attraction even quicker) Now there is a fresh idea.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Minion

I like your ideas and your rationale, but would still prefer that the original Tropical Serenade return. I don't think having a Stitch Tiki Room would prove any more popular than the original, and more generally I'd rather not have Stitch in Adventureland anyway. I understand the sentiment against clones but I don't want a "unique" version in my home park if it is inferior to what came before. You are right though that a Stitch Tiki Room would be better than the New Management we currently have, and would be a good way to recycle the AA from Great Escape.

I don't mind a Wall-E attraction to replace Great Escape. I would prefer it over Alien Encounter because I think that particular attraction did not fit well with the MK. I don't mind Pixar-based attractions as long as they are thematically consistent. Of course the best option would be tear down the current circular theater and build something completely different...since I think the current configuration limits what can be done with the available space. Of course that would a entail a lot of $$ so that's not likely to happen very soon
    Last edited by tasman; 07-27-2008 at 02:17 PM.
    Down with the Hat

• Defying gravity

I feel that it is far too early to talk about a Wall-E ride when the movie hasn't even gotten out of the theatres yet!

And adding Wall.E as a major ride / attraction takes us further down the Pixar-land route.
    Yeah, because god knows we don't want to highlight the strongest element of Disney's feature film efforts; let's dwell on the past and keep rehashing the classics. Why not Cinderella 4 or Snow White 2, the dwarfs revenge. Face it, Pixar is the future of Disney. Psst, it's not a bad thing.
    "We are the change we've been waiting for! Yes we can!"

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post

WDW has animals sneezing on you, shaking off on you, bug spitting acid at you, and whole host of other things. Anybody who does know know its water is just clueless. So the end of the hose it in the mouth of a fake space alien, as opposed to in the mouth of a fake camel. How does that make a difference ?
    -dave
    There's something just gross and nauseating about stuff like that when it is being done in something like Stitch. In the Bug's Life 3D show, there's a stink bug yes but the smell is only temporary and has little part in the show. But Stitch is intended to be more of a grossout character so there will be more smells and spits than most people can handle. The chili dog smell still nauseates me and lasts longer than it should. Spitting isnt bad. It just doesnt work for this show.

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Yeah, because god knows we don't want to highlight the strongest element of Disney's feature film efforts; let's dwell on the past and keep rehashing the classics. Why not Cinderella 4 or Snow White 2, the dwarfs revenge. Face it, Pixar is the future of Disney. Psst, it's not a bad thing.
    Pixar is one the biggest massive money makers for Disney and it will continue to be the big massive money maker it is until its founders and main storytellers finally kick the can.

Disney is going to cash on more character stuff in its theme parks, especially the moneymakers. I do agree that it is time for "Under New Management" to go. But I highly doubt that we will ever get the original Tiki Room ever again. I think the OP's idea is great but I dunno if OLC will ever let us have something they came up with. They can create a perfect balance between creativity and Disney franchising while here in the states it seems that Imagineers and Disney execs are having a tug-of-war with each other on how to make new attractions.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

While I am not a fan of Under New Management, I dont particulary want to see Stich there either.
    I agree. I too saw the new show with Stitch (and provided a short review in the Tokyo section...so go there and read NOW!) and while the new show is cute.. it's not as good as the original show, which is what we should have at WDW. Leave Stitch to be a Tokyo exclusive...like most stuff they do there.

• Banned User

Thank goodness they kept the original Tiki Room at DL...and never bothered with the HMH overlay at WDW. As for Alien Encounter, it was gone before my first trip to WDW. Is the version at Disneyquest similar?

• Geoff London

-dave
    I'm not "freaked out" as you put it. If an animal spits (such as a real camel) that's fine - it's what that particular animal does but to emulate what is a filthy human trait (or alien) is not my idea of entertainment. Water or not I just don't find it funny. If you'd been spat at in the course of your work then you might understand where I'm coming from. Spitting at someone in human terms is assault! Nor do I find the Stitch show entertaining in general. I still maintain they ruined what was a particular good show just to cram in yet another character.
    Last edited by geoffa; 07-28-2008 at 04:58 AM.

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    If it wasn't for those classics then the parks would not exist in the first place. I wasn't saying there shouldn't be a Wall.E attraction. I was just balancing what Pixar produce against what Disney produces and there have been ample opportunities to develop Disney based films into rides- "Atlantis" for example - but they haven't happened. As for the spin offs such as Cinderella 2 etc I think we can clearly see that they are poor imitations of their roots.

The original post was whether we wanted to see the Tiki Room overlayed yet again. Personally, I don't care - it's not an attraction that does attract me but equally I can see that others are not happy with the "New management" and want changes.

What figmentgoofy proposed - the Axiom event sounds like a good show idea -I just posed the thought that did we want more Pixar based stuff?
    Last edited by geoffa; 07-28-2008 at 05:00 AM.

I'm not "freaked out" as you put it. If an animal spits (such as a real camel) that's fine - it's what that particular animal does but to emulate what is a filthy human trait (or alien) is not my idea of entertainment. Water or not I just don't find it funny. If you'd been spat at in the course of your work then you might understand where I'm coming from. Spitting at someone in human terms is assault! Nor do I find the Stitch show entertaining in general. I still maintain they ruined what was a particular good show just to cram in yet another character.
    I don't particulary find it funny either, but it does not gross me out either. I guess i can make that disconnection between real spit and water from a hose that nobody would assume it is real spit.

Part of the Stich character is his salivating. He spit, he drools, and he licks things. Spitting is "in character" for him. Of course I can't stand the character in general.

In Adventureland, the camel spits at you, as do the Tiki gods (or statues thereof). In Sounds Dangerous a dog sneezes at you, as it does in HISTA. All slivatory excretions, but I never hear complaints. But I do hear them a lot from people who ride Stich. Also the chili dog burp. People seem to get all up in arms about that too.

I still think it's a silly ride, and most of the time I avoid it, I just never understood the indignant way some people speak of it.

(Oh, and I have been spit at/on - thankfully not too often, but it is suprising what some people will do when they get upset)

-dave

• Geoff London

At least we're agreed it is a silly attraction and it should go!

• Mostly Harmless.

I miss Alien Encounter...
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast