Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SpectroMagic?

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

SpectroMagic?

I just have some questions on the parade, since I haven't been since 2004.

When did the parade first open? What was there before it?

And is it seasonal?

(I'm not sure if I'm asking in the right place, so I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong area).

Thank you!
    Code Lee-Oh-Co (Or Jessica, if you want)

• Mostly Harmless.

Re: SpectroMagic?

The only thing I know is that when I see it I always wish that I would have sat sown and watched the Main Street Electrical Parade at DL... My parents always used that as an excuse to ride more rides with less wait. Although it did look pretty cool from the skyway!
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Inappropriate

The parade opened in 1991 replacing the main street electrical parade. I'm not sure if it's seasonal or not. Everytime i go, it's up and running Anyone else know this one?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by codelyokorox View Post

The SpectroMagic parade premiered on Oct 1st, 1991 for WDW's 20th anniversary. It replaced the Main Street Electrical parade which left the MK in the summer of 1991 and went to DLP for the opening of that park...where it ran for a decade before being replaced by a shortened version of TDL's epic "Disney's Fantillusion!" parade.

And is it seasonal?
    Spectromagic usually performs on days when the MK is opened until nighttime hours...like 9pm or later.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    The only thing I know is that when I see it I always wish that I would have sat sown and watched the Main Street Electrical Parade at DL... My parents always used that as an excuse to ride more rides with less wait. Although it did look pretty cool from the skyway!
    If my parents did that to me, they would have TO GO!
    I had the pleasure of seeing the Main Street Electrical parade go down Main Street at DL, DLP and the MK, plus the equally enchanting TDL Electrical parade in Tokyo. I wish they would finally bring it to HKDL.

• Mostly Harmless.

I've got the dang song ringing through my head now...
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

And is it seasonal?
    It is not seasonal. But it is not performed every night. So check that calendar before you go. It isn't to be missed. During our last trip, I think it was on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and the next Saturday. The Trip before it was Sunday, Thursday, and the next Saturday. And the one before that was Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and the next Saturday.

• Magic Making

SpectroMagic opened October 1, 1991, and ran to May 21, 1999. It went on hiatus and made its second run April 2, 2001, and still runs to this day. The parade lasts about 20 min from start to finish. The parade unit order was different when it first started. It used to step off with 2 SpectroBalls, the Trumpet unit, Mickey unit, Tile unit, then two more SpectroBalls. Today the parade steps off with the Trumpet unit, Title unit, Mickey unit, and then the 4 SpectroBalls.

SpectroMagic is designed as a moving gallery with each section themed to a different area like, Music, Under the Sea, Sleeping Beauty Gardens, etc. Each section contains a large gap to give the viewers clearance or breathing room to take in that section and cleanse before the next arrives. This way you don’t overlap themes, and/or musical themes of that section with the one in front of it.

SpectroMagic is an art form in itself. It portrays classical Disney Films and characters through light. This art form can show time change that a normal parade can’t. For instance, the Sleeping Beauty Garden Section. The Good Fairies, Fauna, Flora, and Merriweather, change the gardens from day, with bright colored flowers and leaves, to a beautiful blue night. A better example would be the finale section. It takes the section from a crystal clear white, to an array of magical colors.

Creative Entertainment and John Haupt, the parades Project Lighting Designer, designed each section with some type of effect that would go off, or a transformation that would happen. Its main purpose is to portray Disney in a new innovative way using newer lighting technologies. Some of these technologies include Electro-Illuminescents, Flow Neon, Quantex (a military developed lighting technology), Holographic Prismatic Film, Fiber Optics, and Light Spreading Thermoplastics. There is also a never before seen lighting effect on the Mickey Unit. Project Lighting Designer, John Haupt calls it the “confetti of light”. This effect is seen on the back of the Mickey Unit. It’s a 24 step cascade of light down the cape and up the back to a height of 17ft. It uses xenon flashlights and mirror balls. “It produces six-million-beam candlepower”, Haupt says. “With a normal flashlight, you might have 125 candlepower. It is so brilliant you may actually see little beams of light glancing through the air -- thousands of them -- like when sun rays come through the clouds." It's a "first" for a float, accomplished through a custom computer.

Each unit has on-board audio that’s synced to an under-liner that’s played along the parade route on what’s known as “zone” speakers. The units have specialized tones, character voices, special effects audio, and unit audio that are contained in a separate track per each. These tracks, and various other tracks used in the parade, are all synced using DTMF tones (Dual Tone Multiple Frequency), a series of digitized tones that send packets of Time-coded data to the units which is then used to sync the audio, lighting and special effects. The audio is digitally stored on the unit, thus canceling signal dropouts between the units. The audio is stored on state-of-the-art micro-chips. Through an abundance of electronic triggers, the audio and other effects are activated. Electronic cross references synchronize the show. With the previous system used, the audio was sent to the unit via RF transmissions, which caused drops outs along the route. By storing the audio on the unit, the only thing needed to be sent was the information used to sync that audio. Audio is all controlled and backup stored in DACS (Digital Animation Control System) where all the rides, shows and parades are controlled from and audio is stored in. From here the information is sent to a park level computer. From there the DTMF tones are transmitted over a low radio frequency to the antenna on the castle, from there to each unit on the route. The audio is a first for this parade. It’s the first time in Disney history to have parade audio in time. The music was composed by John Debney, and arranged by John and Steven Skorija into a 14 min suite.

The lighting is all stored on the unit, and monitored, as well as the audio and special effects, through a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) and as well as a Programmable Lighting Console. The lighting is sent through relays and dimmers to each light or section of lights on the unit. The units also utilize chase units, which can randomize strands of lights to chase, twinkle, blink, or flash on and off. There are 11 colors of lights used including clear. There are also twinkle lights, and strobes on the units. A quote from John Haupt explains, “A lot of the preliminary technical work for the Fantillusion parade was proof of concept in this parade. So it's kind of the interim step between The Main Street Electrical Parade and Fantillusion.” SpectroMagic is a marvel of the computer age. Lighting utilizes about 30 mini-computers.

The parade went on a hiatus when the Main Street Electrical Parade made its return to the Magic Kingdom. SpectroMagic returned in 2001 with the following changes:
    Spectro-men have new heads
    Genie(from Aladdin) replaced Roger Rabbit
    Sebastian(from the Little Mermaid) animatronic and bubble system added to King Triton's unit
    Jimmy animatronic added to the finale unit

Here are some facts about the parade:
    Total Number of units: 29 units and 7 Whirly Pods (Includes hitched units)
    Total Length: 596’ (with tow bars – 664”)
    Estimated Total Weight: 258,000 lbs/117 tons
    Total Number of Unit Batteries: 948
    Longest Unit: Unit 5-F; Chernabog, total wing span – 30’6”
    Unit 1-B; Title Unit – 25’6”
    Shortest Unit: Unit 4-D: Bubble Fish - 7’6”
    Widest Unit: Unit 3-A; Peacock – 14’0”
    Thinnest Unit: Unit 4-D; Bubble Fish – 3’11”
    Tallest Unit: Unit 6-E; Carousel – 24’0”
    Largest Unit: Unit 1-B; Title Unit – 286 Sq. Ft.
    Total Wattage for one Parade: 442,260 watts
    Total # of Audio Speakers: 204
    Total Audio Wattage: 72,000 watts
    Total Number of Audio Batteries: 112
    Total # of Miniature Lights: 600,000
    Most used Color (Besides Clear): Blue
    Unit with the most Mini-Lights: Unit 6-E; Carousel – 54,892
    Unit with the least Mini-lights: Unit 4-G; Sebastian – 2,722
    Total amount of Fiber Optics used: 100 miles
    Unit with the Most Colors: Unit 6-E; Carousel – 11 colors
    Total Cast: 118 (Includes performers, float drivers, coordinators, and valets)

Parade Units:

• Entrance Unit with Trumpeters
    • Title Unit heralding SpectroMagic
    • Spectro-Men on Whirly-balls (4 pods)
    • Mickey Unit
    • Music Unit (3 units hitched)
    • Sleeping Beauty Garden Unit 1 (Peacock)
    • Sleeping Beauty Garden Unit 2
    • Sleeping Beauty Garden Unit 3 (Waterfall on back)
    • Giant Fish Unit
    • Bubble Fish Unit (3 units hitched)
    • Ursula Unit (1 pod)
    • Little Mermaid Unit (3 units hitched)
    • Whilry Fish (2 pods)
    • Fantasia Opening Unit with Spinning Hippo
    • Baracus Unit (Fountain with Ostrich's)
    • Diana Unit (3 units hitched)(Flying horses)
    • Chernabog Unit
    • First Finale Unit (3 units hitched)
    • Carousel Unit
    • Second Finale Unit (3 units hitched)
    Last edited by SparkyLD; 08-01-2008 at 01:22 PM.

• Banned User

SpectroMagic is an art form in itself
    A very dated art form to say the least.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by codelyokorox View Post

And is it seasonal?
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyLD
    I'M A FRICKING KNOW IT ALL PAY ATTENTION AND LISTEN TO ME DAMMIT

and he didn't even include the audio changes the parade went through what a waste of breath

• Inappropriate

Sparky wins. Hands down.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Sparky reminds me of my ex. Ask a simple question and learn waaaay more than you ever wanted to know.

• Magic Making

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    and he didn't even include the audio changes the parade went through what a waste of breath
    I used that from a article I wrote for a website. I cut out some unneeded parts. If you are talking about the Trumpet audio, then thats the only audio change that the parade went through. The parade audio has been the same since the parade started except for that track. Although voice overs have changed, like Roger Rabbit to Genie, but other than that, there have been no audio changes.

Here is what I cut out:

The parade had a few other additions that no longer are in the parade. Back in its original run, the SpectroMen hair, Ursula's hair, and King Tritons beard were fiber optic. The Bubble Fish unit used to shoot bubbles from their mouths. The Opening unit, with the trumpets, used to have a completely different trumpet track than what’s currently used. All of these were removed when the parade began its second run in 2001.

• Magic Making

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    If my parents did that to me, they would have TO GO!
    I had the pleasure of seeing the Main Street Electrical parade go down Main Street at DL, DLP and the MK, plus the equally enchanting TDL Electrical parade in Tokyo. I wish they would finally bring it to HKDL.
    Well MK's old units are sitting over there in crates. So who knows when they will unpack them and assemble them and run the parade.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyLD View Post
    I used that from a article I wrote for a website. I cut out some unneeded parts. If you are talking about the Trumpet audio, then thats the only audio change that the parade went through. The parade audio has been the same since the parade started except for that track. Although voice overs have changed, like Roger Rabbit to Genie, but other than that, there have been no audio changes.
    nope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast