• Banned User

Rides and pregnant women

Are there any rides that shouldn't be ridden while pregnant? I don't mean that far along, possibly 1-2 months along? I figured that most rides would be ok but I figured that I would ask here. Also, what about the rides at SeaWorld? My wife is a roller coaster junkie but I want to make sure it's safe in the case that she is pregnant.

Thanks for any input.

• Mostly Harmless.

Re: Rides and pregnant women

I'd stay away from anything rough... I'm in the same boat, congratulations.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

I wouldn't do any coaster, particularly RRC & Everest. Also wouldn't do Mission Space or TOT. Sure, you might be safe, but is it worth the chace??

My pregnant wife rode everything except the coasters, Test Track, TOT, Mission Space, and Splash. I don't think SPlash would be anything, but again, better safe than sorry. I do know a guy who had a wife not know she was pregnant and go on some extreme, rough coasters over and over (they were enthusiasts)....had a terrible pregnancy with serious threat to the baby the Dr. blamed on all the coaster riding. It could have been unrelated, but who knows?
    Last edited by Peabody; 08-16-2008 at 12:22 PM.

• Disneyholic

There are a lot of signs on the various attractions warning pregnant women not to ride, I would suggest avoiding anything too wild like the coasters and TOT etc AND ESPECIALLY anything that may cause motion sickness... No teacups or Mission Space Orange, for some reason pregnant women seem to be more suceptible to motion sickness than they normally are when they are not pregnat so don't push her and you'll be fine.

My wife and I did a sea/land Vacation when she was pregnant with our daughter and we found we could ride almost everything she wanted , and a few of the ones that had warnings we decided might be ok, for example Kilimanjaro Safari has a warning but quite frankly the potholes around where we live where a lot more violent on my car than the dirt roads are on that atrtraction. Use your best judgement, talk to her doctor and your disney travel planner (if you have one) and don't be afraid to ask a Castmember BEFORE you get in line, nothing is more aggrevating than waiting in line over an hour in the heat just to see a sign posted right before the loading area warning pregnat women not to ride... (again Kilimanjaro Safari...) So just take it easy and let her set the pace and decide what she feels comfortable riding and you'll be fine. We had a wonderful time when she was pregnat with our daughter at WDW, the sea potion on the otherhand... well there's that whole motion sickness while pregant thing trust me it's not pretty...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Any ride that says "expectant mothers should not ride".

• Geoff London

Heed the advice of the signs at each ride. They are there for a reason - ( protecting Disney as much as a pregnant lady). Some rides can really shake you around and mess up your head. The baby is far more important than any thrill ride.
    Last edited by geoffa; 08-16-2008 at 01:42 PM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• When Will It Return?

...do not mix, period. Taking a little break from attractions for the health of the mother and baby is a small price to pay combined to all the years ahead of the mother, baby and family.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• For old time sake

I wouldn't risk it. If it says no expectant mothers...she shoud not ride. Also...have her take a test just to be sure.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Mostly Harmless.

Be careful, my wife is about 1.5-2 months into hers and just opening her eyes in the morning makes her sick... I bet the peoplemover would make her puke right now.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Defying gravity

I guess that a lot of attractions could technically pose problems. I would assume that ISAW wouldn't do much harm. Although, I suppose boats could bump into each other... Even the drop on PoTC could be dangerous. The smells on Journey to Imagination with Figment could make her sick! Also, if a ride ends up having to be evacuated, your wife might have to walk a long way.

...Maybe it's best just to stick to shows that you absolutely know are safe.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Avoid Mission Space. Avoid anything that goes upside down.

We were a little more daring I guess. Our son rode Space Mountain (DLR, *not* the rattlerattlebangbang baby-shakin' WDW variant) before he was even born and turned out fine, though he didn't want to even try a coaster until he was 15. Wonder if it was that traumatic?