Pleasure Island now to charge castmembers

It was revealed a couple of days ago that Pleasure Island will elminated the free addmission policy for castmembers on that last two Thrus/Fri/Sat weekends.

Editorial..... I do not understand this policy. Pleasure will definately be busy those last weekends but.... not trying to stir the pot here or cause a debate about a contraversal weekend, but the gay days weekend has been Pleasure Island's Busiest weekend of the year by a leaps and bounds for several years now, and the free addmission policy for castmembers was kept intact. Lines hours long to get into a club, and thats NOT an exaggeration, but yet it was still free. So yes I understand the last weekend may be busy, but it seems a bit of a cheap shot to do this to the cast of the Walt Disney World Resort.

Regardless, its done.

• Banned User

Re: Pleasure Island now to charge castmembers

that is pathetic. It's like they want to watch PI suffer until September when they close it down.

well Disney just turned it to free for CM on Friday and Saturday and they are changing the policies again ?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

That is beyond retarded.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I'm guessing that Disney has realized that the public is going to want to say goodbye to the Island in its current form. What does it matter to CM's whether they get this last couple of weekends for free or not? Without the CM's, there will be a lot more room for us regular folks who want to see a favorite night spot one last time. I think it's a good move from Disney.

Sad Re: Pleasure Island now to charge castmembers

.....and yet again Disney is throwing it's power around to ruin the fun for everyone wanting to go to Pleasure Island, just to get more money=(

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I'm guessing that Disney has realized that the public is going to want to say goodbye to the Island in its current form. What does it matter to CM's whether they get this last couple of weekends for free or not? Without the CM's, there will be a lot more room for us regular folks who want to see a favorite night spot one last time. I think it's a good move from Disney.
    What the heck is wrong with crowds at a place like Pleasure Island??? Who goes PI hoping that it dead and not busy? Seriously..... to that Cast.....

It matters alot. The CM's that went, continued t go long after the guests lost interest. It was a gathering place for friends, a weekly break from stress of daily living. It was, in many whys, a "Cheers" like enviroment for CM's, they could go, and they could go alone because they knew they would see friends they knew once there. For many it was definately a weekly tradition. Not saying thats your fault, as Disney clearly didn't invest enough keep interest going, but even though it didn't attract guest, the CM's kept coming.

Kidgenie, I don't deny that what you're saying is probably true. All I'm saying is that Disney must feel that they're going to be wall to wall with paying customers for the last 3 weeks or so. But then again, this is the same Disney that wouldn't create an AP for DCA at first, because they thought day customers were going to overrun the park!

• Disneyholic

Just to add to Dan's comments, I'm going down the last week as I'm sure a lot of fans are making the special trip for one last Kongaloosh! at the AC. These guests are paying for the water parks and more option or paying a steep one night pass fee to visit and I think Disney is just trying to make sure there will be enough room for everyone.

And while I do understand why CM's are upset, the perks like that are one of the main reasons a lot of CM's choose to work there. Disney is first and foremost a business and they are suffering a lot lately due to declining attendance in the parks and hotels due to the current finacial times, oil prices, and reduced flights into Orlando, I cannot fault them for wanting to get as much out of the PI closure as they possibly can to hedge the costs of closing it down, retraining the CM's, and building it's replacement. Couple that with the draw of people making a special trip and (hopefully) staying on site and visiting the parks as well I think they are just trying to keep the complaints of guests who cannot get in due to crouds down to a dull roar...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Disney is first and foremost a business and they are suffering a lot lately due to declining attendance in the parks and hotels due to the current finacial times, oil prices, and reduced flights into Orlando...
    Actually, the parks are doing better than most other divisions of Disney. From the Silicon Valley Insider (May, 2008) - "CEO Bob Iger says Disney's parks, thought to be vulnerable to the economy, are actually benefiting from it as consumers choose Disney over other attractions. That and the weak dollar is bringing increased foreign visitors."

I read last week that in a recent statement Iger basically said the same thing.

Another reason for Universal Orlando to promote their CityWalk .

Go to Universal's City Walk The UNIQUE night life intertainment in Orlando .

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Actually, the parks are doing better than most other divisions of Disney. From the Silicon Valley Insider (May, 2008) - "CEO Bob Iger says Disney's parks, thought to be vulnerable to the economy, are actually benefiting from it as consumers choose Disney over other attractions. That and the weak dollar is bringing increased foreign visitors."

I read last week that in a recent statement Iger basically said the same thing.
    Yes they are but as a shareholder in Disney I was reading an interesting article on how the last quarter included the usual bump in Spring break travel etc and how hotels in the area are down 6-7% overall, that coupled with the insanity of the legacy airlines raising fees/prices and lowering the total number of flights there are actually less "seats" coming in by almost 10% over last year. Disney is still the King of Orlando travel destinations and all I'm saying is based on the current realities of air travel and even with gas prices dropping a bit lately (still about $.90 per gallon more than last year) they know they have to do whatever it takes to get people in the gates.

For those of us who will travel to Disney anyways this *could* mean some great deals on the horizon... So I for one am trying to remain positive about all this.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...