Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• back to WDW in January

Marching Band Banned From Attractions

A Great Bridge High School marching band trip to perform in the Orlando Citrus Parade in Florida and in Disney World's parade down Main Street won't include riding the attractions.
    The Great Bridge band has played in both parades over winter break every four years, for the past 16 years. Their performance in the Citrus Parade is broadcast on national television.
    Band members and their parents have been going back and forth with school officials over the trip. Permission was denied earlier this year, and parents were told again last week the trip was off.
    The decision was based on a 2006 Chesapeake Public Schools rule that bans trips to amusement parks and water parks, school spokesman Tom Cupitt said. The rule was in response to incidents that happened elsewhere in which students were injured on park rides.
    Cupitt said officials have now decided to allow the band members to travel and perform, provided they don't go on any of the park's rides.
    "They can do it, as long as once they're done with the performance, they get back on the bus and go to the hotel," Cupitt said.
    The school division said it is concerned about supervision of the 159 students signed up for the trip, but organizers say about 40 people have volunteered to go as chaperones.
    Whether students and their parents will make the trip is unclear, but some plan to take their concerns to the school board at its Aug. 25 meeting.
    For the band's senior members, four years of work, including after-school practices and daylong sessions of band camp during the summer, build up to the Disney World trip, said Geoff Smith, who plays the trumpet.
    "It was my light at the end of the tunnel, my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow," Smith said. "You're going to take a bunch of high school students during Christmas and New Year's Eve to Disney World, and tell them they can't go on any rides?
    "It would still be fun. But it wouldn't be the same."
    Source: http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/27070589.html

• If We Can Dream It...

Re: Marching Band Banned From Attractions

These asinine policies that so many school districts come up with are incredible.
    - Horizonsfan

That's one of the funniest articles I've read in a while. Who in their right mind would even think of this as an option?
    -Tim

• Seasick

Well, I like the fact they aren't willing to just unleash 159 high school students into a theme park with no consideration for the potential problems. And, I suppose one could argue that if you're in a band, and are performing somewhere, you can't always expect to enjoy that location in any capacity other than as a performer.

However, ahem, it sounds like they have ample chaperones and DisneyWorld is a safe place. Seems silly to send kids there and not let them go on the rides.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Wow, that's cruel and unusual. Why even spend all that time working and fundraising? Why even go? I'd be so mad. I live here near Disneyland and our yearly band trips to the park were so important. These kids deserve the day off at WDW after earning an invite to a televised parade!

And the chaperones? With that many adults, it's like 4:1. You can't get much better coverage than that!
    A signature should go here.

The article sites injuries on the rides as being the reason why they can't ride - like theme parks are dangerous and that's the reason for the ban.

So, the number of chaperones is irrelevant. That's why this story is ridiculous.
    -Tim

• Banned User

This is totally unfair!! they work hard and need some down time to play. I think this is just sad and I would not go at all if this is the case.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    The article sites injuries on the rides as being the reason why they can't ride - like theme parks are dangerous and that's the reason for the ban.

So, the number of chaperones is irrelevant. That's why this story is ridiculous.

I wonder how many times the school district has been sued because of innane reasons by some parents

Sue me once, shame on you, sue me twice shame on me.

It stinks for the kids, but until there is some sort of reform to prevent frivolous lawsuits, this is just an other indication of how much of a CYA society we are becomming.

=dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Golden State of Mind

Yea right, they can't tell them they can't go on the rides? If i was in that band i would be like 'yea try and stop me'.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Functional & Decorative

This problem is in LA Unified as well. When I take my kids to theme park competitions/performances, they are not supposed to ride anything... just do the performance, and leave. It's ridiculous. Provided I have adequate chaperone coverage, I personally tend not to enforce it...
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I could see not riding rides at some of the post-parade carnivals and such, where you are waiting around for awards anyway. But the one of the main points of being able to march in a Disney park is to get to go play afterwards. It's not like the kids are going to just drop their instruments, break rank, and run amuck!
    A signature should go here.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    I could see not riding rides at some of the post-parade carnivals and such, where you are waiting around for awards anyway. But the one of the main points of being able to march in a Disney park is to get to go play afterwards. It's not like the kids are going to just drop their instruments, break rank, and run amuck!

I really think it comes down to a matter of CYA. When you have a bunch of kids in a band, they are in one place, doing one thing. You have more supervision over them.

Once you let them go, you either have to enforce chaperones with individual groups, or let kids go off on their own. The chance for something to happen goes up greatly.

Of course the chance for something to happen at all is slim, but things can happen, especialy with teens, and Disney, and trying to impress friends (or girls). All you need is for one kid to get hurt, in a minor sort of way, maybe they were standing on a garbage can and fell, and next thing you know, the school district is getting the pants sued off of them.

So whats the solution? They limit thier exposure. Enter the park, play/march , leave. I am sure that was the advice their lawyers gave them. I doubt the school district is doing it just to be mean to the kids.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Yea right, they can't tell them they can't go on the rides? If i was in that band i would be like 'yea try and stop me'.

Thats part of the problem

School or band makes a rule.

Testosterone fueled teenager says "yeah right, you can't tell me what to do"

Teenager splits open lip trying to rail slide down the stairs.

Parents, instead of telling little darling, "you are lucky you only got a split lip" asks the school why their precious angel was able to sneak out of the resort and do such a thing. If the school was responsible they would have done a bed check and posted a chaperone at the door. Because of this horrendous and willfull neglect the kid and his parents are going to need $3.2 M to ease their pain and suffering.

Next year school says, no more band trips.

-dave

• Circle of Ancients

I was priviledged to be able to participate in "Magic Music Days" 3 times at Disneyland, and it was AMAZING.

The whole awesomeness of being able to perform at Disneyland, and then being able to enjoy the rest of the day at the park was priceless, and kind of the "reward" for all of the hard work that led up to the performance.

That this school district would try to take this reward away from these kids is idiotic at best.

What's next, take them to McDonalds, let them look at the menu and then give them a PB&J you brought from home because you can possibly choke on a french fry???

Not to even mention the kids are about 5,000,000,000 times more likely to get in a car accident on the WAY to WDW than to have any issues on a ride.

• Crazy Furry

Myself I was lucky to perform in WDW' Magic Music Days in Spring Break of 05'. I can truly say it was a fantastic trip, it's was over a week long and my band didn't just do Disney but also Universal where we dominated their music event as well as the K.S.C and Warm Beach with Ron Jon's Surf Shop.

It was simply stunning to march the parade route, but it was even better when they allowed us to stop in front of Country Bear Jamboree to play part of what was our Marching Show. (Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl)

Though I will say our school district had a really odd rule on us, we were not allowed to visit the waterparks. Even though my band director pointed out, "Were not allowed to visit a place with trained lifeguards everywhere, yet were allowed to a beach that has none?"

Ironically the School district didn't tell us were not supposed to go there either, and I feel sorry for the next band trip this year since while there going to Hawaii...the district has a rule about the beaches. You can only go in to the point the water reaches midway on your shins, and you can only do that if every single chaperone is watching. What the DUCK?!
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast