Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Walt Disney World Again?

This topic is certain to hit home to those of you have vacationed at Walt Disney World more than once every couple of years. As Disney Vacation Club members our family has had the ability to go to Walt Disney World three times a year. Being teachers we are limited to vacationing during Spring Break, Summer, and Christmas time.

Most of our friends and family know of our love for Disney and do not think anything of it. But we do get the traditional comment, “You’re going to Disney again?” That is usually followed up with, “Why?” We always say that we love it, our kids love it, and it is a safe place to be. People ask us all the time, “Don’t you get sick of it” and “Isn’t it just the same thing?” We used to try to explain to others why we love Disney, how it is different each trip, and that we try to do something unique each time, and that each season offers a different feel to the parks. Now we don’t even bother. It isn’t worth it.

The funny thing is that those who question us are the ones who like to vacation at the beach EVERY YEAR, or head to Gulf Shores etc…We never question them as to why they go there every year. We never say, “Isn’t it boring lying around on a beach all day” or ask “How much fun is that for your kids?” If that is what their family likes to do, then more power to them. It isn’t right for me to question them about what they like, so I am not sure why a Disney vacation isn’t held to the same standard.

I have come to the realization that there are two groups of people who view Disney, those who “get it” and those who “don’t.” The ones who don’t get Disney will never understand our love for the place, no matter what we say. Those who get Disney are the ones that continue to go back again and again. I love the people who want to give Walt Disney World advice and say how boring a place it is when they start off a sentence with, “15 years ago when I was there….”

The truth is Walt Disney World is a fun, safe place for our family. It works for us. I am sure that in a few years when our daughters are both teenagers they may not want to go to Walt Disney World with us. That is fine because right now is what is important. They love it and have had some of the most memorable experiences a child could have by going there. I think this quote says it all about Disney, "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

Re: Walt Disney World Again?

I totally agree with 110%. We just returned Saturday night from a wonderful 9 day trip. Besides the heat we had a great time.

My sister-in-law who also went this time taking her 2 daughters (15 and 9-first time for the 9yr. old) said they had fun but probably won't go again. (She also stayed off property and had to rely on a hotel shuttle or cab.)

I look at it this way more people who don't go means less lines for those of us who go all the time.

We go at least once a year and I wish we could go more.

WDW is my second home and that will never change.
    Wishing I could be in WDW anytime I wanted!!!

• back to WDW in January

We get the same reaction each and every time we go (which is now up to twice a year staying exclusively on property from 10 days to 2 weeks each time). It seems hard for folks to understand but WDW is what we truly enjoy, it consistently gives us the greatest amount of pleasure and therefore it is where we go.
    We start to plan our next trip even before the previous one ends.
    Some folks are passionate about TV Shows or Nascar Racing or Sports or Computer Gaming or whatever ... we just follow a different path that's all.
    If others understand it then fine, if not then that's ok too.
    It's who we are and what we do - no further explanation necessary.

• Banned User

I bought and paid for my sisters WDW vacation this year because...
    1. she has never been to disneyland or WDW
    2. She is always " why there why not a beach ?
    3. I want her to finally see why we go and how much fun it can be!

I may not change he mind, but heck I will have fun anyways. we leave in 10 weeks!!!!!

Oh what you said is so true. My wife and I get the same thing. I love it because I can go there and just forget the world outside for a while. Plus its a lot of fun to be over 50 and still be able to act 13 and nobody minds.

• Minion

Shoot...I work at Disney, I'm a DVC member, and I go to WDW every year! I can't get enough. Each time we go, we always find different things to do, or we eagerly look forward to doing our favorite things. Every time WDW is on the Travel Channel, I have to tune into that too. I even have my vacation countdown on my computer. I can't wait!
    I want my cake back!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdanedaddy View Post
    Oh what you said is so true. My wife and I get the same thing. I love it because I can go there and just forget the world outside for a while. Plus its a lot of fun to be over 50 and still be able to act 13 and nobody minds.
    I see your going a week before me, can not wait to see your trip report!!! And weclome to micechat

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Believe it or not, you CAN get sick of WDW. When I had an AP, I was going nearly every weekend and after awhile it got to be total buzzkill.

I've been 3 times this year and I still have one day left on my pass, but since I have the no expiration option, I think I might hold on to that final day for next year instead of using it for my usual trip in October/November. I'm getting kind of burned out on WDW again.

• back to WDW in January

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Believe it or not, you CAN get sick of WDW. When I had an AP, I was going nearly every weekend and after awhile it got to be total buzzkill.

I've been 3 times this year and I still have one day left on my pass, but since I have the no expiration option, I think I might hold on to that final day for next year instead of using it for my usual trip in October/November. I'm getting kind of burned out on WDW again.
    You'll have a tough time selling that to folks like me who live in the northeast, only have approx 3 mos. of summer weather and only get to WDW once or twice a year.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I've loved it since I was a kid, but I can only enjoy it in infrequent doses.

More and more, I find myself having a more difficult time enjoying myself while actually AT the parks, and when I get home I have good memories and basically self-censor out the not being able to find a place to eat dinner on Wednesday night, or seeing the same merch in every single store. Or the hotel worker who puts me in a smoking room by accident. Or the Space Mountain breakdown, or whatever.

Everybody says I pay too much attention to these parks, but nobody will accuse me of going too often. Everything in moderation.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by tjcjr View Post
    You'll have a tough time selling that to folks like me who live in the northeast, only have approx 3 mos. of summer weather and only get to WDW once or twice a year.
    Honey, I lived in Michigan for 25 years. I know all about snow/cold and only visiting WDW once a year or less.

Seeno, can I ask where you work at WDW? Would just be curious. I am sure you LOVE IT no matter where you work.

HM, I have our trip report from a few weeks ago on our website if you want to read it: http://wdwnewsletter.com/2008/08/15/...y-trip-report/

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Newsletter View Post
    Seeno, can I ask where you work at WDW? Would just be curious. I am sure you LOVE IT no matter where you work.

HM, I have our trip report from a few weeks ago on our website if you want to read it: http://wdwnewsletter.com/2008/08/15/...y-trip-report/
    Thank you!! I am off to read it now

• Banned User

ok, best trip report ever!! I love each park sumary and the "bird pooped on gramma's arm

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

At the restaurant where we have breakfast each Sunday, there are a few employees, that know that I love to go to Disney World, and also Disneyland, of course. Once in a while, I get asked when I am going back to Disney? To them it doesn't matter which coast, I am headed to, because they know that I am headed for a Disney vacation.

The owner of the restaurant, just went to Disneyland. He has family in California, and he always plans his summer trip out there with a side trip to Disneyland. On the way to his vacation, he was on a plane that was overbooked. He chose to take a different flight, and of course that comes with perks. He received 4 round trip tickets anywhere. Where did he choose? Disney World. He is taking his wife, and daughters there in October.

So sometimes, people that know how much you love to vacation at Disney World, ask you when you are going again.

My husband would rather go to the Dells. I leave him home when I go to Disney World. I usually travel there with my grandson, his mom, and sometimes with friends. I am always planning, and saving, and trying to figure out, when I can go again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast