Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: "Extra Magic Hours" Discontinues Wristbands

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Then if that is the case, like I said before.. the system is flawed and should be eliminated altogether. This is yet another example of Disney's management being difficult and refusing to acknowledge the system is flawed. It's obvious that imposing a time restriction on the guest is unrealistic and does not work. Management should do the honorable thing and kill faspass forever.
    I totally agree with you. I have never been a fan of the system especially, the way WDW uses it. I mean placing fastpass on Peter Pan, TSMM, Buzz, Primeval Whirl? What does WDW's management think they are doing?

It is a flawed system, but it is what it is. It's not like I am in a position to remove it...I wish I was though.

BTW, thanks for the response about TDL. I figured they would be capable of implementing the system properly.

• Circle of Ancients

I posted my thoughts on the elimination of the wrist-bands over in the thread for Kevin's article today, but I figured it would fit here as well.

As for the "no wrist-band" thing for EMH, I disagree that it's a good move. First of all, if you have to show your card for each attraction, the odds of you losing that card become higher.

I always keep my card in my wallet, because, as we all know, that card acts as a credit card in the parks and hotels (if you choose to link a card to it, which we do). If you are using that card at every attraction, the odds are that you are just going to put it in your pocket, which could greatly increase the likelyhood of losing it.

Also ... something you may have thought of, but didn't mention ... subconsciously, if you have your card ready and available during EMH for attractions, presumably you have your card (linked to your credit card) more ready and available for purchases.

I personally don't care for this move. If they want to reduce labor costs, how about having the hotel check-in people give you your EMH bracelets for the duration of your stay upon check-in.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Krankenstein View Post
    BTW, thanks for the response about TDL. I figured they would be capable of implementing the system properly.
    In Tokyo, we have the added problem of "savyness". You see, the japanese guests take the time to learn about the parks and how to tackle them before they arrive there. They educate themselves, therefore they know ahead of time what FP are much gets and such stuff. FP has created a major safety problem at opening time and I call it the "FP Stampede". When the park opens... people RUN to get FPs because they know if they do not do so, the line to get a FP at some attractions will be longer than the wait to ride, and by noon, some FP will be gone at popular rides like Hunny Hunt, Astroblasters or TOT. People have waited up to 1 hr to get a FP for Hunny Hunt!!! On crowded days, the line to get a FP for TOT begins in Cape Cod, a 10 minute walk away from the attraction itself.. IT's TOTAL CRAZINESS!!!!
    For that alone, I wish FP was gone at TDR first and foremost.

• Pilot EdForceOne

They have started enforcing the date on FP. That is the reason why the new FP design has recently been introduced.
    I'd venture the 'new' FP you refer to is more of a economies of scale thing. It's the same media and printers that have been used in DLR for awhile.

As far as the return time, the reason why they do not enforce the window typically is b/c Disney realizes that it can be difficult for some people to make it back in time (ex. dinner runs long, you get caught by an e-stop on another attraction etc.).
    The comment was in regard to the insane suggestion that Disney can't or shouldn't enforce the return time because it would be too 'difficult' for the CMs to verify the time window without slowing down everything, etc. See this thread for the whole discussion

http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...es-99743.html?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

This is yet another example of Disney's management being difficult and refusing to acknowledge the system is flawed. It's obvious that imposing a time restriction on the guest is unrealistic and does not work. Management should do the honorable thing and kill faspass forever.
    Yes, the return time is something of a flaw in the system. But the only bad that comes of this is a FP return line that sometimes runs a bit longer than it was designed to be. And because of this flaw you want to dump the whole system, when millions of people use it and enjoy it and look forward to accessing the system and saving hours of time standing in line?

My take on the return time is that they should enforce it. Who waits till the end of their 2 hour window to try to sneak in just in time? You usually go at the beginning of your 2 hour window, and if something goes wrong like getting e-stopped on an attraction, surely you're not going to be sitting there for 2 hours, are you? That window is more than enough time for most people to get to their FP attraction. I say enforce the start AND end times!

• Circle of Ancients

Aren't the return times only 1 hour though???

From my experience, most people who use FP's go within the window. It's only those who know the system who go beyond the expiration time and go back later.

What I don't get are the people who show up 15-30 minutes BEFORE their time, clog up the entrance to wait for their time to get there. How is that any different than just waiting in line!!!

You're right - 1 hour window. My bad. I think my argument still stands, though.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I posted my thoughts on the elimination of the wrist-bands over in the thread for Kevin's article today, but I figured it would fit here as well.

As for the "no wrist-band" thing for EMH, I disagree that it's a good move. First of all, if you have to show your card for each attraction, the odds of you losing that card become higher.

I always keep my card in my wallet, because, as we all know, that card acts as a credit card in the parks and hotels (if you choose to link a card to it, which we do). If you are using that card at every attraction, the odds are that you are just going to put it in your pocket, which could greatly increase the likelyhood of losing it.

Also ... something you may have thought of, but didn't mention ... subconsciously, if you have your card ready and available during EMH for attractions, presumably you have your card (linked to your credit card) more ready and available for purchases.

I personally don't care for this move. If they want to reduce labor costs, how about having the hotel check-in people give you your EMH bracelets for the duration of your stay upon check-in.
    this would be the best solution !! I agree, if we got them at our motel it would be so much better.

• Banned User

Question: why can't they just eliminate Extra Magic Hours altogether and keep the parks opened until 10pm on most days.. for *everyone* to enjoy equally as walt intended his parks to be?
    see I agree with this. I personally will not be using these special hours. I will be avoiding the parks that have these on there specific days.

• Nutty about Disney parks

As for Extra Tragic Hours... yes, it is a benefit...for them since in keeps the hotel full to some degree.. while the rest of the people think they are getting something special while paying extra tragic bucks for staying on property. You think the All-Stars are worth $39 a night in their present condition? Funny how Disney plays everyone like a violin...
    I planned my last Disney vacation around the days when EMH was available at a certain park and ironically we never had to use them. We were so exhausted by the time the park was about to close (pre EMH) that there was no point in wasting our energy anymore when we've already done most of the park. EMH doesnt work for everyone in the hotels and while I do believe it is a nice privilege, I would prefer that that portion of money from my Disney hotel room bill could be better used to keep up with the conditions of the hotel I am at.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

I'm 100% certain that Disney knows that the losing card thing is a big concern because you know what that means dont you? It means Disney is going to sell more card holders!!!

It's all another money money money situation indeed! Today's article on the subject said it all. If you can get people to stay in the parks to shop and dine instead of go on rides after hours that's more money! I must admit that all of this is quite clever of Disney to grab that extra buck wherever and whenever they can. It's much harmless compared to their other cash-grabbing schemes.

Your idea to provide wristbands to people when they check in is genius but then there's the concern of not losing all the wristbands and making sure you are wearing the right one for that day. If you dont realize till nightfall that you've been wearing the wrong wristband in the park, then it's all for naught. Perhaps you can just go to concierge everyday or have something arrange with concierge so that they give you the right wristband for the right day or something.

But rest assured, Disney prefers earning cash from selling those card holders over spending money on card scanners!
    Last edited by toonaspie; 08-26-2008 at 04:51 PM.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

Wait.. let me go back, as I may have missed a post regarding food options at WDW...

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Yes, the return time is something of a flaw in the system. But the only bad that comes of this is a FP return line that sometimes runs a bit longer than it was designed to be.
    Excuse me?? WHO CARES about the FP return line!!!??? What about making the stand by line guests wait longer than what it was intended because of the added FP return capacity showin up AFTER their time window expired?? If that is not a flaw... I don't know what is. Maybe I should put ketchup on it so you can understand this issue?

And because of this flaw you want to dump the whole system, when millions of people use it and enjoy it and look forward to accessing the system and saving hours of time standing in line?
    Millions of people use it? What have you been smoking? If I recall well, only about 20% of the capacity is available for Fastpass in any single attraction... so if that percentage is millions of guests... then I guess that explains why the stand by wait feel like a trillion guests are in front of you NOT moving anywhere fast.

My take on the return time is that they should enforce it. Who waits till the end of their 2 hour window to try to sneak in just in time? You usually go at the beginning of your 2 hour window, and if something goes wrong like getting e-stopped on an attraction, surely you're not going to be sitting there for 2 hours, are you? That window is more than enough time for most people to get to their FP attraction. I say enforce the start AND end times!
    Not to mention... Disney should charge for the benefit, like Universal does. No freebies anymore. "Cut in line? Pay the Price!!" I can see the tag line already... "Magic your way to the front of the Line.. add on FP to your multi-day passport for a small fee!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    see I agree with this. I personally will not be using these special hours. I will be avoiding the parks that have these on there specific days.
    I am proud of you sister.
    I have been to the parks on days when they offer EMHs and I am here to testify, the parks get way too crowded. Personally, this priviledge should be afforded ONLY to those who are truly paying a premium price at their hotels. I do not see why those who pay $69 at the economy hotels should get to enjoy EMHs when there are others paying $300 plus for their on-property rooms. How much is WDW willing to give away for peanuts?? Let's face it.. WDW would not sink this low if it wasn't because they want to stick it to Universal down the street. No wonder the quality is not apar with the other 4 resorts world wide.

• Nerd.

I am all for it. A lot less waste, a better GREEN option!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I'd venture the 'new' FP you refer to is more of a economies of scale thing. It's the same media and printers that have been used in DLR for awhile.
    I don't know about that. From what I have heard WDW's FP machine are different from the ones at DL. Now, I do not know if that is true or not, but it is what I've heard. As for the new FP design, basically the date is now a lot bigger. I am putting a picture of the new design in this post. Maybe you will be able to determine if they look the same as the ones at DL.

A big thanks goes out to Matpez of WDWMagic for allowing me to use his picture.

Oh, thanks for the link to the discussion. I haven't had a chance to give it a read yet b/c I have been at class tonight. However, I'll be sure to give it a look once I get a chance.

Maybe I should put ketchup on it so you can understand this issue?
    I'm not even sure what this means. Probably some feeble attempt at a fat joke. Lame, even for you. Someone was talking about the problems with the return time, and you commented that that was a flaw in the system. It's hard discussing stuff with you, TDLFAN, when you go all rabid and change the subject mid-post.

Millions of people use it? What have you been smoking? If I recall well, only about 20% of the capacity is available for Fastpass in any single attraction...

Estimated attendance at the MK in 2007 - 17 mil. The FP system has been running for several years now. I think it's probably mathematically safe to say that millions of people have used it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast