Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: "Extra Magic Hours" Discontinues Wristbands

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Wait.. let me go back, as I may have missed a post regarding food options at WDW...

Excuse me?? WHO CARES about the FP return line!!!??? What about making the stand by line guests wait longer than what it was intended because of the added FP return capacity showin up AFTER their time window expired?? If that is not a flaw... I don't know what is. Maybe I should put ketchup on it so you can understand this issue?

Millions of people use it? What have you been smoking? If I recall well, only about 20% of the capacity is available for Fastpass in any single attraction... so if that percentage is millions of guests... then I guess that explains why the stand by wait feel like a trillion guests are in front of you NOT moving anywhere fast.

Not to mention... Disney should charge for the benefit, like Universal does. No freebies anymore. "Cut in line? Pay the Price!!" I can see the tag line already... "Magic your way to the front of the Line.. add on FP to your multi-day passport for a small fee!"

I am pretty sure its the other way around. Every attraction host I have spoken to say its about 80% fast past, to 20% standby. The percent change depending on the attraction but the majority of the capcity is reserved via FP, and the minority left over is the buffer aka stand by line.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Having to flash the card seems like more of a pain, I need to find a card holder to go around my neck.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    I am pretty sure its the other way around. Every attraction host I have spoken to say its about 80% fast past, to 20% standby. The percent change depending on the attraction but the majority of the capcity is reserved via FP, and the minority left over is the buffer aka stand by line.
    I think they meant.. FP lines moves at 80% speed, as opposed to 20% speed in the stand by line.

• back to WDW in January

I am proud of you sister.
    I have been to the parks on days when they offer EMHs and I am here to testify, the parks get way too crowded. Personally, this priviledge should be afforded ONLY to those who are truly paying a premium price at their hotels. I do not see why those who pay $69 at the economy hotels should get to enjoy EMHs when there are others paying $300 plus for their on-property rooms. How much is WDW willing to give away for peanuts?? Let's face it.. WDW would not sink this low if it wasn't because they want to stick it to Universal down the street. No wonder the quality is not apar with the other 4 resorts world wide.
    E-Ride nights were much better in my opinion. Contrary to other folks view that paying extra money was was a bad thing, for me the $12 charge to get in at night was well worth it. We were able to do a days worth of park in a just a few hours and more often than not, many times over.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by tjcjr View Post
    E-Ride nights were much better in my opinion. Contrary to other folks view that paying extra money was was a bad thing, for me the $12 charge to get in at night was well worth it. We were able to do a days worth of park in a just a few hours and more often than not, many times over.
    Yeah they also really limited the number of guests back then with the E-Ride nights back then too. Those have basically been replaced by the "Hard Ticket Events" like MNSSHP, MVMCP, and P&PP, and while those events offer more than just being open late they also seem to me to draw a larger crowd than the E-Ride nights did.

Then again the ticket books really kept the lines down too...
    Last edited by Jerren; 08-27-2008 at 10:49 AM.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

I think they meant.. FP lines moves at 80% speed, as opposed to 20% speed in the stand by line.
    maybe. pretty sure though that fast pass actaully gets the majority of the visit. IF you observer were the lines merge, generally you see about 8 FP admits vs. 2-3 standby, and his pattern lasts all day long. My friends who are attractions hosts say the same thing, but I looking for someone that can give me specific numbers. Haven't found that yet, but it makes sense if 80% of the people are coming from the FP virtual Que, and only 20% from the standby, if that occurs all day long expect for the first hour or so when the attraction has no line.... I would say it *seems* logical that close to 80% of the attractions visitors, aka the attractions capacity, was used via FP.

All that said... I hate FP. I am not a morning person and FP makes the lines too long by the time I get to the park. And worst, for the popular attractions, it's usually not even an option anymore as all of the have been given out. I think DL uses FP MUCH better then WDW's abuse of the system. TSM is a good example of this. 120+ minutes at DHS, vs. 60 minutes or so at DCA. sigh.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    I am not a morning person and FP makes the lines too long by the time I get to the park.
    This is the point that I don't understand. Before FP, weren't the lines pretty much exactly as long as they are now? Sure, TSM is long now - it's a brand new attraction. Give it time and it'll settle down.

People who aren't morning people really hurt themselves in the Disney parks. That first couple of hours are golden for attraction riding.

• She was sweet as a peach

Agreed!

The most annoying thing during my recent trip to MK was that we got a fast pass for Peter Pan and I swear the fast pass line was just as long as the stand-by line. We wound up waiting about 30 minutes. It was really ridiculous. (and yes, it was partly my fault for waiting in the line-I could have just left)

I would be very happy if they got rid of fast pass.

• Crazy Furry

Let's see, on the topic of removing wristbands, I don't think this is a good move. The wristbands are far less of a hassle then removing your card or having to buy a card holder.

On the topic of Fastpass, I'm not a fan of how Disney does it due to the many times I waited in standby and saw a lot more fastpass people let in the attraction then standby guests. (In my opinion, Universal does it right. Either you pay for it, or stay at one of their hotels and get the best version for free. But most importantly, all of this is very limited and not everyone that enters the gates has access to it.)

Finally on the topic of EMH in general, to me it doesn't hold a candle to what was E-Ticket Night. The crowds were so limited, every time I attended it...besides Space Mountain and sometimes Buzz, pretty much any open attraction was a one train wait or a walk on. Something that certainly isn't possible for EMH.
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    This is the point that I don't understand. Before FP, weren't the lines pretty much exactly as long as they are now? Sure, TSM is long now - it's a brand new attraction. Give it time and it'll settle down.

People who aren't morning people really hurt themselves in the Disney parks. That first couple of hours are golden for attraction riding.

Great Question Dan. The standby lines are definately got longer after the advent of FP. Before FP, I use to give guests some advice for touring on busy summer and holiday periods. I would tell them not to spend 3 hours walking around the Magic Kingdom looking for a ride whose wait time was less then 45 minutes. Just get in those lines and do it, and you'll be amazed how much you get done. You also won't be one of those people leaving the park frustrated because you only did four rides. This no longer applys as much as I agree, the lines are definately pushing 90 plus minutes. Thats why I used TSM as an example. the standby line at DCA is only about 60 minutes or so. While at DHS, it typically can hit a horride 120 minute mark. I have yet to see that at DCA (barring longer lines caused by down times). It because DHS uses FP, and that makes the stand by line longer. I was at DHS TSM two days ago and it was at 95 minutes. I will be interested to see what DHS TSM is tomorrow when I am there. Talk about PARK hopping! weeeeeee
    Last edited by Kidgenie; 08-30-2008 at 01:49 AM.

• Crazy Furry

This is the point that I don't understand. Before FP, weren't the lines pretty much exactly as long as they are now?
    I have to say no due to two things I've seen, the first one is Disneyland Paris's Pirates of the Caribbean.

Pirates usually doesn't have much of a line due to the amount of people it can take, and I've been to DLP long enough to pretty much tell when the park is busy or pretty normal. When fastpass was added, even on a normal day it had a wait that was much longer then it ever had.

The other thing is this, for pretty much every ride that has a fastpass...in order to get them on the attraction they have to halt the standby line. The more the standby line is halted, the longer it's going to take to get the standby line through.
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by AE_Fan View Post
    The other thing is this, for pretty much every ride that has a fastpass...in order to get them on the attraction they have to halt the standby line. The more the standby line is halted, the longer it's going to take to get the standby line through.
    This is going to make the standby line SLOWER, but not necessarily LONGER. I think there will be exceptions like you noted, but generally (from what I've experienced and from what others have posted) the standby lines take the same amount of time to get through as they used to. A 90 minute wait pre-FP is going to be a 90 minute wait in the standby line post-FP. The difference is that before, I had no choice - if I wanted to ride, I got in the 90 minute line and sucked it up. Now, I can get a FP, go do other fun stuff, and come back later for a 5 to 10 minute wait. I just don't understand what's not to love here.

• Inappropriate

When did this turn into a Fastpass Discussion?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    When did this turn into a Fastpass Discussion?
    Im wondering the same thing....... hey gang stick to topic

• Nutty about Disney parks

This is going to make the standby line SLOWER, but not necessarily LONGER. I think there will be exceptions like you noted, but generally (from what I've experienced and from what others have posted) the standby lines take the same amount of time to get through as they used to. A 90 minute wait pre-FP is going to be a 90 minute wait in the standby line post-FP. The difference is that before, I had no choice - if I wanted to ride, I got in the 90 minute line and sucked it up. Now, I can get a FP, go do other fun stuff, and come back later for a 5 to 10 minute wait. I just don't understand what's not to love here.
    In the end, the guests dont give a crud about which is better (though logicstically speaking a longer line is capable of moving faster than a shorter one in certain situations). It all comes down to guest patience which is pretty much none. Though if I were to pick one, I would prefer being in a longer line that is still constantly moving than a short dead line. I just dont have the patience to stand in the same spot in line for 20 mins and I dont think any guest would want to constantly put themselves in that situation either.

One thing to blame instead of FP would be Disney's failure to keep up with massive crowds in matters of attractions. When parks like DAK of DHS only have about 10 attractions that people are going to go out of their way to get on of course the lines for those rides are going to be massive. The parks need more stuff. That is pretty much what it comes down to.

Also I think that the line organization for Kilomanjaro Safaris is absolutely ridiculous. Once you get to the loading docks, it doesnt matter if you were in the FP or SB line. They shove everyone into the same loading dock area. They dont even direct you as to which loading dock to get on once you are shoved in. You just have to cut your way into either the dock on the left or the dock on the right and that can result in an unfair advantage for people who've waited in a certain line. Which is why it's better to do this ride during the parade.

Perhaps that is an area where we need to start. Better organization of loading and unloading the rides could make a good difference.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast