Illuminations Sans the Earth

Ok, definately the much needed refrub of the earth glode in Illuminations, Reflects of Earth, has begun, and currently the Globe is not being used during the show.

Which I must say, makes the show a bit perplexing. How it is that its called Reflections of Earth when there is no earth to reflex what so ever.

The current version isn't bad, in fact, I will say that those who are board during the 2.5 minutes that its just the Earth evolving, via
    revolving video Presentation can rejoice. That part of the show has been completely removed. For me, it caught me off guard a bit. If you have ever seen Epcot's NYE show, you know that the World Showcase Pavillions are still capable of doing more then just lighting up and sparkling. And I was expecting that they would utilize this option during parts where the globe use to be.

Instead, right were the part where the earth first appears, and for the next 2.5 minutes or so from that point, is gone. Completely removed. Nothing is done instead of the globe, its just totally skipped! Next thing you know your where the fireworks being to be used again.

From this point, the are some parts of the show were the globe was utilized and these parts are short enough that they were kept. In some cases, so token fireworks fill in the gap, in others, nothing happen except the music building to a cresendo.

Many will love this, but it does shorten the show, and the for those into the story of the show, well that is temporarily completely lost. In its refurbishment version, there is no story. Just music and Fireworks.

Its not what I would have done, but overal its really not bad. Still enjoyable and the trade off it totally worth.... the globe was in really bad shape. IN that respect, I have a suggestion for Epcot.

Instead of adding a holiday tag to Reflections of Earth between Thanksgiven and December 31st, why not bring back the old Holiday Illuminations, as it was allowing the globe to remain back stage for refurbishment for one month of every year.

The old Holiday Illuminations could easily be done with out the globe. It did untilize a sphere but that sphere was never really the focal point of the show.

• Banned User

Re: Illuminations Sans the Earth

God I hate that Globe. Sounds much better with-out it.

• Banned User

I too would welcomed the removal of the globe AND most other elements of the Illuminations show. While the globe served it's purpose for the "time capsule" theme meant of the Millenium Celebration, it has run it's course. Also... my other petpeeve here are the grossly outdated fountain barges.
    It is time for Disney to spend some dough and bring Illuminations into the 21st century with 21st century technology updates. Currently at other Disney parks.. we see water fountains that can shoot much bigger and higher water blasts in swaying style allowing the water to dance to the music, plus fire effects like balls of fire and other torch-style effects (such as the ones done at Sea World's Mystify a few miles away on I-4).
    Considering the huge size of the World Showcase lagoon... changes like these could enhance the show tremendously and give the audience a feeling of being closer to the action... which is why the globe and fountain portions of the show fail greatly, and the pyro suceeds.

I get the feeling that once DCA's Wonderful World of Color debuts... we'll see how outdated Illuminations really is... and if we are lucky, maybe they will bring some of that technology to EPCOT Center.

I disagree that the globe is dated. The show is just as much about the Millenium as it is about everyone realizing there is one earth and its home to all of us. That really is not a very dated message at all, nor do I think in the case of the Globes Technology is all that dated, it is a rather amazing show piece. Unfortunately we now live in era that going 4 minutes and twenty seconds with no fireworks, (the part where the the globe positions itself, evolves and then as the music builds the countries start to like up,) will result in people fussing and get board with the show. Some one will say its a longer time span then that but its not. Then again I get board during the endless rise of the bubbles at DHS Fantasmic, and again as Mickey WALKS around the island and the Dragon watches... so I guess I have to empathize a little with todays A.D.D. driven populations.

Still, I neglected to mention that the finally is lacking in impact with out the globe. They try, but the part the it blossoms and the torch ignites from within is much more visually impactful then the temporary set up.

That said, I completely agree the fountain barges need upgrades. I suspect they won't get rid of them as that is what the majority of the fire works are launched from, and having them do minor water works is really just an excuse for having four firework bunker eyesores out in the middle of the lagoon. But more advance water works technology would not be a bad thing at all.

• Shubisha

I love the globe. It's a vital part of the story to Reflections of Earth and I think it's a great show regardless if the introduction of the globe segment annoys people only interested in seeing explosions. Other than technically needing an upgrade to a higher definition with a better pixel-count so you can see it more clearly, I don't think the globe is dated. The show itself is dated, it's 2008 almost 2009 now. So I don't really buy any arguments that they should just get rid of the globe and leave the rest of the show as is, I hate when they keep taking elements away from a parade or show and just try to find a way to leave it there forever and Illuminations is no exception to me. Either keep the show with its full integrity or if you feel interest in it is waining or that it's not relevant any more put up the investment for a new show.

Fortunately this isn't the case though and it's only gone for a refurb, which kind've stinks that they'd start it while summer season is still happening but that doesn't seem to stop them lately.

• May the F=ma be with you

The refurb was originally scheduled for January 2007. It kept getting pushed back each time it was rescheduled. It wasn't an internal problem, rather the vendor did not have the parts ready until June 2008. Some testing of the new LEDs was done in June aboard one of the WWIII barges after the regular show.

As for the modified show, it cuts out 'Space' after Chaos and immediately jumps to 'Adventure' with a lot of new pyro effects. Reflections of Earth continues in full with other added pyro, lighting and laser effects. Just after meaninig, the gold floaters ignite on the water and the We Go On vocals begin. After some more added effects, the white barage begins as normal ending with the explosive sea wall comets (when applicable) followed by the final barage, inferno barge burnoff and final mines & salutes.

I'm afraid that your average guest may like this version more because it focuses less on story and more on fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Member of Baxter's Army

I don't think We Go On should be in the show without the Earth Globe. As for if ROE is just about the Millenium, I don't think so. The story of the history of Earth and the coming together of Nations is timeless. The only thing that even slightly shouts Millenium is We Go On.(Another thousand circles round the sun.)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    WWIII
    I missed that war.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

It was right before WWIV: Revenge of the Nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I missed that war.
    Aww shucks. It happens on the 4th of July, New Years and every night from Thanksgiving to New Year's Eve.
    Maybe you know it better as BAF (Big A** Flatbed barge).

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    Aww shucks. It happens on the 4th of July, New Years and every night from Thanksgiving to New Year's Eve.
    Maybe you know it better as BAF (Big A** Flatbed barge).

Oh!! THAT's what it means!! Hahaha! I love the kaboom finale on those special days!!!
    But I have to admit... that I liked it better when EPCOT did the huge perimeter pyro behind all World Showcase pavillions (similar to the MK perimeter pyro), and also the huge kaboom! over the water. For some reason, they seem to have gotten a tad skimpy on that for special ocasions.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Oh!! THAT's what it means!! Hahaha! I love the kaboom finale on those special days!!!
    But I have to admit... that I liked it better when EPCOT did the huge perimeter pyro behind all World Showcase pavillions (similar to the MK perimeter pyro), and also the huge kaboom! over the water. For some reason, they seem to have gotten a tad skimpy on that for special ocasions.
    Yep, they use two of those for every tag as well as 4 more barges about half the size of the one pictured (with the cage around it) which are attached to the rear of the Maxi (fountain) barges for the 4th and NYE.

I loved the 4th of July 1997 finale to IllumiNations. The perimeter fireworks were spectacular, even though they were used for only a minute or so. However, with that show, there was very, very little lagoon pyro. Probably under 100 pieces. Sure, the American Adventure and perimeter zones made up some for it, but I wouldn't say that the current 4th of July finale is skimpy. Over 3000 shells form the lagoon + more from behind the American Adventure is huge!

Now, MK got a tad skimpier with their 4th of July show using less perimeter pyro than the NYE show. Overall, 4th of July used many more shells than NYE because of the 4 out-of-park zones firing at all times.

But I do wish that EPCOT would bring back at least the Italy and Japan zones for 4th of July. Of course the whole perimeter is used for the NYE tag.