• A spoonful of sugar!

Talking How does weather impact the parks?

We're heading to WDW next Friday, Sept 5 for my first visit. I've been paying attention to the 10-day weather forecasts and it looks like every day is predicted to have thunder storms.

I guess my question is, how are the parks impacted when there are thunder storms? Do rides close? Are attendance levels lowered?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! No matter the weather, I can't wait for our trip to start!!
    Its Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Re: How does weather impact the parks?

Most likely you will only encounter the typical afternoon thunder storm. They really are not that big of a deal b/c they come and go like clock-work. The majority of the rides at WDW are indoors so, they will not be affected. The only notable exception I can think of is Test Track. Also, if lightning starts popping more attractions will close (i.e. Splash, Kali, Expedition Everest, Big Thunder etc).

Rain could have an effect on crowds. If it is raining all day most people will not want to be out in the weather. My suggestion is to put on a rain coat and keep right on going. Some people look at me like I am crazy when I go out in it, but hey I'm at WDW! I will not allow rain to ruin my trip.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

If there is lightning with in 7 miles of the parks they will close outdoor attractions like Big Thunder Moutain, Splace Mountain, Dumbo, Aladdin, Junlge Cruise, Astro Orbitors, Test Track, Primeval Whirl, Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, Triceritops Spin ect...

If it is just rain with no thunder and lightning there are a few attractions that will close like Dumbo (i don't know why) ect.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• A spoonful of sugar!

Ok, I will cross my fingers for no lightning! Seeing the parks in the rain won't bother me - I'm just so excited for my first visit!
    Its Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by acsrbc View Post
    I guess my question is, how are the parks impacted when there are thunder storms? Do rides close?
    Yes, the parks get wet and flooded and sometimes it is a chore to navigate them. People with wet ponchos will seat in indoor vehicles so you will still get your hiney wet. Anything that is outdoors may be closing if the weather is severe... Shows are cancelled and parades may be delayed, or in WDW's case, Cinderella will be given an umbrella and sent out into the rain on her float, which I find quite pathetic of management... There goes the illusion of "royalty". Also, avoid the water parks on rainy days... they don't want you to get wet on those days, or fried in the pool if thunder touches the premises.
    Yes, there will be lighting... lots of it. Enough to scare the bejesuses out of the little tykes. For good.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Splace Mountain
    Never heard of that one.

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

This time of year is basically rains every day for a few minutes. Unless a tropical storm or hurricane is forecasted you really only have a couple of minutes every afternoon that it will rain. Best time to do the parks, because a lot of people leave so you can get on and off the rides without much of a wait. There are plenty of indoor rides that continue to operate so take advantage of the rain and go for it.....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Never heard of that one.
    It is a new ride in Fromorrow Land!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Disneyholic

Hmm big impact is Mickey poncho sales go up 600%...

But Seriously, It rains all the time at WDW, and most of the rides where designed to operate in bad weather. Some rides may be closed down during the worst of it for safty reasons but they are in the minority. Shows like The Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, and Fantasmic! that use pyrotechnics may be canceled if its raining excessively or thundering for safty reasons.

Best advice, pack a poncho, umbrella and dry socks and you'll be... right as rain.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post
    It is a new ride in Fromorrow Land!
    And not far from Fuzz Frightyear
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Hmm big impact is Mickey poncho sales go up 600%...

But Seriously, It rains all the time at WDW, and most of the rides where designed to operate in bad weather. Some rides may be closed down during the worst of it for safty reasons but they are in the minority. Shows like The Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, and Fantasmic! that use pyrotechnics may be canceled if its raining excessively or thundering for safty reasons.

Best advice, pack a poncho, umbrella and dry socks and you'll be... right as rain.
    Rain comes and goes - and how it impacts the parks can also depend on what time it is. I was there on Presidents Day, and it started raining around 5pm - and as I said at the time, you'd have thought that the Cloverfield monster was chasing guests down Main Street and out the exit. That was the slowest evening I can remember in the MK in a very long time, it included 3 turns on the Star Jets (Astro Orbiters) without ever getting off.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by acsrbc View Post
    Ok, I will cross my fingers for no lightning! Seeing the parks in the rain won't bother me - I'm just so excited for my first visit!
    If you've never been in FL during this time - be ready for rain/lightning like you've never seen before.

As others have mentioned, its normally not too long, but while its there you may think Zeus himself is hating on Mickey. BIG TIME lightning/thunder is nothing irregular in these afternoon storms. Later in the summer like this into Sept.. you can almost set your watch to the 4pm storms. But they usually are only about 30mins.

The way to be prepared? Have the right gear

- Have your own ponchos that work for what you will have with you (backpack, etc)
    - Have shoes that work well underwater! No kidding, as you run around your feet will be soaked, so you don't want those big leather shoes+socks
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged