Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Epcot - 08/23/08 - A trip around World Showcase and Stormstruck.

My daughter and I snuck away on Saturday and decided to spend the day at Epcot, was a last minute decision but we arrived around noon.

Should you wish to see all the photos I took that day, please visit here.

With Tropical Storm Fay still raining down on the state, I was worried we would hit a lot of rain, it wasn't as bad as expected and we arrived to some cloudy but dry weather.

Our first stop was at Innoventions to try out the new "Storm Struck" attraction.

We waited about 30-40 minutes until we got in, they show this introduction video with some guy from the Weather Channel.

Then they give you 3D glasses and bring you into this room and everyone has to find a seat in front of a monitor.

Then they show you what happens when a Category 3 hurricane plows through a neighborhood.

Then you vote as a group on the screens in front of you on how you could improve the safety of your home. Needless to say I could tell the room had nothing but tourists based on some of their answers. LOL

In the exit they have this game for kids to learn about what items you need in your hurricane safety kit.

Overall it was an OK experience for me, I think I would have enjoyed it more if they would have stuck us in a tunnel and turned on those fans to show just how forceful the winds are in a hurricane, rather than sprinkle us with water. It was still fun though but it was very loud and could be scary for little children.

After we stopped by to visit with cyre while she ate lunch, it was nice seeing you hun, even for a few minutes.

After grabbing a FP for Test Track we hopped over to Mission:Space for a ride. I will say that all the wait times were exaggerated for every attraction. It said 20 minutes for the Green side and we waited around 5-10.

Go for launch!

We started to head over to the Land for some lunch, along the way we walked through this pretty path of flowers.

Sunshine Seasons is one of the last counter services that offers variety, I personally love the roasted chicken.

After eating we went on Living With the Land, it was raining so hard outside you couldn't hear the spiel in the greenhouse!

Still trying to escape the rain we went over to The Seas next and while C colored a dolphin at the Kidcot Fun Stop, I checked out some interesting looking fish.

Then we headed over to World Showcase and started with Mexico, that's when it really started coming down!

Then we stopped off at Norway for some sweets, they have the best rice pudding.

We managed to stop at every Fun Stop in the park and Christina picked up quite a collection of masks.

Boo!

While C would be coloring, I was doing some window shopping. They really have a bunch of neat things for sale in WS.

Norway

There was a lot of construction going on though in the parks, I was very happy to see that.

I think my favorite shop was probably in China, they also had this great Panda display for the Olympics.

Budda!

Here they also have a replica of the Terra Cotta Warriors.

Because of the rain, most of the characters were indoors. It was here that C discovered that Mulan and Mooshu was out taking photos.

Next we stopped off in Germany and I didn't realize the extensive collection of wine that they carried.

The shops were interesting though, again filled with some great little trinkets.

Italy was up next, they don't really have much here except a perfume shop. The masks are pretty neat though.

Then we stopped off in America for some dinner, I couldn't take C anymore so I taped her mouth shut with Mickey stickers.

No, not really, she did it to herself.

USA has a cute little shop, the Olympic merchandise was in full swing though.

Next we stopped off in Japan, I love the gardens in here, they are very peaceful and serene.

Last time I was here this entire section was under construction, I'm glad to see it open now.

Another view of that area.

Count Chocula? In Japan?

Next we stopped by Morocco, I love the little shopping plaza they have here.

While there, we stopped by to say hi to Aladdin and the Genie.

There were a lot of walls up for the Food and Wine Festival booths, I'm so excited, I can't wait for it to get here!

Unfortunately my camera battery died in France, just as C was getting her Masters in Art. We did manage to finish with the UK and Canada, had a ride on Test Track and then ended the day on Spaceship Earth.

Overall we had a great day, was very wet but was a much needed mental health break.

Have a Magical Day!

The End.

• Banned User

Re: Epcot - 08/23/08 - A trip around World Showcase and Stormstruck.

We waited about 30-40 minutes until we got in, they show this introduction video with some guy from the Weather Channel.
    Summer dear, that's Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel. He is like the Dan Rather of that cable station. He gets to enjoy all of the hurricanes up close and personal.

Anyways.... Glad you enjoyed your time at good old EPCOT Center. Same day, I was at good old DLP and will post some pics from that day soon...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

^Yeah, I recognized his face but couldn't remember his name. I figured someone would call me on it. Hope you had a good time in Paris!

• Banned User

I always do have a fun time in Paris.

• World Traveler

Great report, Summer. Looks like a wonderfull afternoon at Epcot. Next time, please take extra batteries. Thanks.

• Senior Minion

Fantastic stuff as always Summer, one day I'll get there ... things just keep popping up ruining the best laid plans.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I seriously hate you for the picture of the chocolate cake in Norway. That is a must for us almost EVERY day in Epcot. I HAVE to have that cake. SOOOOOO good. My husband always gets that fruit torte. OOOO, I want some.

Evil Summer! EVIL!

• Banned User

Loved this report summer. very nice pics, I can not wait!!

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Great report, glad you didnt get too wet out there!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

Great TR Summer!! I am glad the weather didn't prevent you guys from having fun!
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

Blog Entries

You guys had my perfect day at Epcot! Rides, food and strolling through the stores!

• Do You know?

Great job Summer!

Was the Storm Struck attraction worth it? How long a wait would be worth it?
    I need to know these things because I am coming back to your part of the Globe. See you in October.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Great report, Summer. Looks like a wonderful afternoon at Epcot. Next time, please take extra batteries. Thanks.
    LOL I had my extra battery, to bad it was dead when I tried using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I seriously hate you for the picture of the chocolate cake in Norway. That is a must for us almost EVERY day in Epcot. I HAVE to have that cake. SOOOOOO good. My husband always gets that fruit torte. OOOO, I want some.

Evil Summer! EVIL!
    That cake is really good, C and I kinda shared the desserts. It's one of those things we try and do if we are near Norway is stop for treats, how could you not? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by WheresMickey View Post
    Great report, glad you didn't get too wet out there!
    Quote Originally Posted by belle View Post
    Great TR Summer!! I am glad the weather didn't prevent you guys from having fun!
    The rain was sporadic so we were able to dodge most of it, luckily the heaviest part we were in The Land for.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney1978 View Post
    Great job Summer!

Was the Storm Struck attraction worth it? How long a wait would be worth it?
    I need to know these things because I am coming back to your part of the Globe. See you in October.
    They have a set up not unlike the Dumbo queue. They take X amount of people into a corral and give them 3D glasses, those people have to wait about 7 minutes, if you are unlucky and find yourself in the line behind that corral, you have an additional 12 minute wait on top of that. So I would say if you aren't in the very next group to enter the corral, don't bother waiting. LOL We got stuck waiting through 2 rotations so it took us 35-40 minutes. :/

And YAY! I'm happy you'll be visiting! It will be nice to see you again!

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

GREAT TR!! As always!! Just realised that the food and wine festival will be o wihilst we are there!

• Disney Fan

Great report. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip despite Fay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast