Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should Hollywood Studios add more non-Disney characters to the park?

Hi everyone,

I was just thinking about how great it used to be when people went to the Disney MGM Studios, they would see different non-disney characters like Ace Ventra and Dick Tracey. For me, this was very entertaining and a little break from the fab five. Beside the Star Wars characters and Indy, Disney doesn't have alot of other film characters roaming the park. I think that it would be great if Disney went out and got some classic film characters to fill the out park. what do you think?
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Re: Should Hollywood Studios add more non-Disney characters to the park?

Don't forget the Rocketeer! He used to be around at MGM back in the day.

I agree with you. It would be great if they would incorporate some of the characters from the GMR into meet and greets around Hollywood Blvd.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'd love to see The Rocketeer back at the Studios. Highly underrated little move that was. I wish they'd bring back the Muppet walkaround characters as well. I'd love to get my photo with Animal!

I wouldn't mind if Disney brought some old pulp heroes to the studios like the phantom, Flash Gordon, Butch Rogers, and The Green Hornet.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Should Hollywood Studios add more non-Disney characters to the park?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    I wouldn't mind if Disney brought some old pulp heroes to the studios like.....The Green Hornet.
    I can never get used to a super hero that has a chauffeur driving him around.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Killer of Threads

I remember reading somewhere (Jim Hill's site, perhaps) about a Dr. Bunsen Honeydew character roaming around in a mobile lab, interacting with guests. I take it this isn't going on anymore?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^^ Last I knew, it was in Hong Kong. When it was at WDW last summer it was at EPCOT.

Butch Rogers
    You mean BUCK Rogers?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was just thinking about how great it used to be when people went to the Disney MGM Studios, they would see different non-disney characters like Ace Ventra and Dick Tracey.
    Dick Tracy is kind of a Disney character in that it was Disney who made the movie back in the early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Krankenstein View Post
    Don't forget the Rocketeer! He used to be around at MGM back in the day.
    Same thing with him.

• Fortuosity!

Tracy's ride should have been built a long time ago, and I'm all for The Rocketeer being brought back. Maybe put him in Fantasmic to replace Pocahontas?
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Nutty about Disney parks

Dick Tracy and Rocketeer WERE technically Disney characters as they had films released by Disney. It all comes down to buying the rights to use these characters in the park. If they're straight from Disney theyre free. If not it costs extra. I'm sure the right to use Ace Ventura costs money along with the George Lucas characters.

Once again it all boils down to Disney's need to save some bucks however they can. Plus popularity of characters plays a role. If this were the early 90s we would see characters like Dick Tracy and the Rocketeer in the park again.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

I don't believe I ever said The Rocketeer wasn't a Disney character. I know full well that he is. I thought since the OP referred to Dick Tracy in his post (whom I also knew was in a Disney movie) that we could include some of the older, lesser known Disney characters that are not of the animated variety. Sorry for my confusion!

• Nutty about Disney parks

I don't believe I ever said The Rocketeer wasn't a Disney character. I know full well that he is. I thought since the OP referred to Dick Tracy in his post (whom I also knew was in a Disney movie) that we could include some of the older, lesser known Disney characters that are not of the animated variety. Sorry for my confusion!
    S'alright but like I said it's still a cost saving measure for Disney to have only the promotable (Narnia characters) or high demand (Star Wars) characters out and about.

I would love to see a campaign to get Disney to rerelease either "Dick Tracy" or "The Rocketeer" in theaters or on video. Then we would most likely see these characters in the parks again most likely for only temporarily promotional purposes. Then everybody wins for a short period of time.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

I do not ever remember seeing ace ventura at the MGM studio. would be starnge since that is a warner bros property.

Dick tracy and the rocketeer are Disney productions so in a way they are Disney characters. Some of the other non disney characters that did show up at the park were because of the deal they had with MGM and 20th century fox for the use of some properties in the park.

Its getting more dificult for Disney to get non Disney characters to appear in their parks becuase most studios already have deals with other companies.

It also would not make sense to pay high royalties in promoting other properties they do not own.

Even now disney has lots of issues when it comes to using characters like the wizard of oz for the movie ride. They could only appear for certain amount of time which required WDI to cut the show sequence. To many legal problems to abide by just to have them in the park.

similiar issues as to why they do not have the roger rabbit characters as walk arounds. Disney does not fully own them.

Even before they purchase Pixar there were restrictions since the movies were co-owned by Pixar studios.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I do not ever remember seeing ace ventura at the MGM studio. would be starnge since that is a warner bros property.
    Ace did appear at MGM around 1996. The character actually was a part of a little stunt show on, what is now, The Streets of America.

BTW, the actor who portrayed Ace at MGM currently can be found portraying Francis Floot at DHS.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Dick Tracy and Rocketeer WERE technically Disney characters as they had films released by Disney. It all comes down to buying the rights to use these characters in the park. If they're straight from Disney theyre free. If not it costs extra. I'm sure the right to use Ace Ventura costs money along with the George Lucas characters.

Once again it all boils down to Disney's need to save some bucks however they can. Plus popularity of characters plays a role. If this were the early 90s we would see characters like Dick Tracy and the Rocketeer in the park again.
    I do agree that having Dick Tracy and the Rocketeer in the park would be good, but they would have extra costs involved since they are not Disney characters. Then again, Dick Tracy will probably be in the public domain soon enough if he is not already.

The Rocketeer, on the other hand, is owned by the estate of the recently deceased Dave Stevens. Money will have to change hands for him to appear again.

To be honest, I'd rather see Disney get things settled with Amblin so that Roger Rabbit can appear in the parks again. A living initative version of Baby Herman would be great. And of course I would love to see Jessica Rabbit in the parks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast