Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Disneyholic

Arrow Re: New Dining Plan Feature (As of This Week)?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Let's be clear here..

1 - Federal law requires they get paid AT LEAST $2.13/hr without any tip credit (in Florida this minimum is actually $3.77).

2 - If a person's tips + cash wage does not equal minimum wage, the employer is required (by Federal Law) to make up the difference. They can not make less then minimum wage when combining wage+tips.

3 - Employers are allowed to setup tip pooling to a level that is 'customary and reasonable'. Note also, only tips in EXCESS of those required to reach minimum wage are valid for pooling/sharing.
    I believe you Flynn, I don't question the law on the books but I do have to question how it's enforced/instituted particularly for #2. About 6 years or so ago my niece as a part time waitress (while in school) one week earned well below minimum wage due to low tipping and a couple groups pulling a 5 finger discount. (She chased them out the door and got the LP number, police didn't do anything on the one, the other was a stolen SUV... ) The chain's policy apparently was that the waitress s responsible for any unpaid bills. Now yes the manager was a bit of a jerk and there was huge turnover in all departments, but I'm confused how a national franchise can get around paying minimum wage if it's federal law that they must make at least that?

At least in the Baltimore area, according to some of my students at the university and my niece, this particular set of laws are just not enforced as they should be or there are enough loopholes to allow employers to get around them... But thanks for the link I'll pass it along to them.

Now that being said, yes if service is lousy there will be no tip or a lousy tip, if service is great I tip more. I tipped our waitress at outback about 25% last night just because she was absolutely fabulous, on top of everything never had to ask for more bread/drinks she was there with it right away. Way more than I expect at that outback so gave a good tip for good service.

The 18% and 20% are suggestions, a lot of chain restaurants are now printing the 15% and 20% tipping amounts as a courtesy for the math impaired . You can tip whatever you feel is proper, or not, most CM's will not chase you out the door, if they do take it up to the manager and guest services as that is definitely very un Disney and I cannot see management allowing that kind of behavior from a CM.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: New Dining Plan Feature (As of This Week)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    I believe you Flynn, I don't question the law on the books but I do have to question how it's enforced/instituted particularly for #2. About 6 years or so ago my niece as a part time waitress (while in school) one week earned well below minimum wage due to low tipping and a couple groups pulling a 5 finger discount. (She chased them out the door and got the LP number, police didn't do anything on the one, the other was a stolen SUV... ) The chain's policy apparently was that the waitress s responsible for any unpaid bills. Now yes the manager was a bit of a jerk and there was huge turnover in all departments, but I'm confused how a national franchise can get around paying minimum wage if it's federal law that they must make at least that?
    Well this situation mixes two separate topics - pay rates and an employer deducting/withholding pay for damages/goods/etc. In your example, the girl is having her wages garnished to cover what the employer is saying is her responsibility. That's completely independent of tipping or her pay rate.

Even in a salary position - if you were to quit and run off with lots of company equipment, the company could withhold part of your paycheck to cover what you were responsible for returning.

I have never looked at the laws (presumably varying state by state) regarding what an employer is allowed to garnish wages for.

At least in the Baltimore area, according to some of my students at the university and my niece, this particular set of laws are just not enforced as they should be or there are enough loopholes to allow employers to get around them... But thanks for the link I'll pass it along to them.
    Employers more then not use ignorance of the laws and bullying to pressure young kids into doing what they want or withholding things that they may be entitled to. Employees who think they are being abused in regard to getting what they are entitled to should contact the Labor department. They can clarify anything and start processes to investigate if need be.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

A very interesting thread. I just want to say that any waiter who is hovering over me to see what amount of tip I write in is going to have to wait a LONG time - I just won't do it with them around. And 20% for excellent service is becoming the standard. 15% is for just adequate service. I don't mind the amount going up, as it's a hard job. And a good waiter with a great personality can really make the difference between an ok meal and a great one.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I'd just close the book and put it to the side if they were hovering and ignore it for awhile
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I remember when I first heard that the tip was taken off the dining plan. I thought that it would mean that many waiters and waitresses wouldn't get as much tip as they had before. My dad was a waiter, and because of that, I always tip at least 20%.

It is only common courtesy for a waiter or waitress to bring the bill, and leave, and let the customer have privacy to decide on the tip. However, not everyone these days practices that.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Former CM

I always tip to how my service is. My biggest issue is when I have an empty drink that just doesn't get filled. If I get bad service then my tip or lack of it reflects it and when it's great it goes up. I don't mind tipping well over 20%, but the server does have to earn it. If I have to constatly ask for a drink refill I'll tip less, but when the server is on top of it I'm extra happy. I've had a server wait for me to fill out a bill before and I just ended up lingering more and asking for another drink and then I'll give the person less for that.

• When Will It Return?

In this case, I prefer Japan, where tipping for ANYTHING is totally against the culture! They will not accept tips even if you try to give them one! This stark contrast in cultures is amazing to me, and really nice when it comes to paying for stuff like restaurant meals.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Geoff London

Actually it's not a scam, waiters and waitresses are exempt from minimum wage, in many places they may be making less than $1.50/hour and they are supposed to report and share a potion of the tips with the bus boys and hostesses, wine stewards, etc depending on he restaurant it seems to vary quite a lot. Also they don't usually get the tips on credit cards till payday, and of course if a party leaves without paying in many restaurants the waiter or waitress gets stuck with the bill which can wipe out a couple days worth of tips depending on the venue. The restaurant business can be very cut throat and have very thin margins, or at least that's the excuse for not paying standard competitive wages for wait staff. It's kinda sad when you think about it when someone working at a fast food restaurant can consistently make a higher wage than a waitress in a nice restaurant.
    You took the very words out of my mouth friend. It should also be noted that in some cases the employee is taxed on "anticipated tips" so it doesn't matter if you include on the credit card or actually give the server cash.One observation though,a tip is not obligatory, if any waiter hovered over me then the tip would be a big fat zero!
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123